• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What do you think the early local hybrid buyers did when they were researching whether to buy a hybrid or not? Since there was virtually no experience with hybrids in SL, they looked to the overseas hybrid vehicle research and knowledge base for their information.

International companies and countries expend a lot of money, time and brainpower tracking things like vehicle reliability and durability. It's just plain dumb not to make use of that knowledge.

The reliability data may not translate perfectly to SL, but the data still gives a very good idea of what to expect, especially with cars that are brand new to SL that locals have no experience with.

your point might be valid... but u missed one important thing,,this is mainly due to the fact that u are in US and u dont really understand our people.. u really think our buggers researched on the internet before they bought the prius..HAHAHAH.. not a chance... the prices went down.. they can get a toyota for a cheaper price and it does more fuel... sign me up... this is what they all did... once again proves that you have no idea about what happens in SL or what our people really think.

your point might be valid... but u missed one important thing,,this is mainly due to the fact that u are in US and u dont really understand our people.. u really think our buggers researched on the internet before they bought the prius..HAHAHAH.. not a chance... the prices went down.. they can get a toyota for a cheaper price and it does more fuel... sign me up... this is what they all did... once again proves that you have no idea about what happens in SL or what our people really think.

Now you think you speak for all Sri Lankans ? What a joke and what a delusion.

And just because the Sri Lankans you associate with are, as you wrote, "buggers" , doesn't mean that all Sri Lankans are "buggers".

Almost all the local hybrid drivers I know did their homework and thoroughly researched the overseas Prius knowledge base before deciding to plunk down Rs 5+ million on a technology and a car that was new and unproven in SL. The "buggers" you know may have not have not bothered to do their hybrid research, but that isn't the least bit surprising.

Now you think you speak for all Sri Lankans ? What a joke and what a delusion.

And just because the Sri Lankans you associate with are, as you wrote, "buggers" , doesn't mean that all Sri Lankans are "buggers".

Almost all the local hybrid drivers I know did their homework and thoroughly researched the overseas Prius knowledge base before deciding to plunk down Rs 5+ million on a technology and a car that was new and unproven in SL. The "buggers" you know may have not have not bothered to do their hybrid research, but that isn't the least bit surprising.

listen you bugger... yes gonna call u the same as we call everyone in SL.. u would know that if u actually stayed here for awhile.. u an idiot... and u have nothing to give except for ur googled articles and pictures...... thats how it is... we just like ur entertainment value.. and for the record the 5 or 10 people u know doest count to shit... so please don't bring ur stool here and ruin another thread which was actually started well.....

again i say no one did research... maybe there are few exceptions but the mass of the buyers just went for it because of the tax cuts... why is that so hard to believe u moron... this is SL... now may i suggest u get a life and do something in states without trying to lecture us about our people... i guess no one takes u seriously in the states ney.... at least we comment back to ur moronic posts... i guess Americans dont give a shit about some man from an island...

• Like 2

listen you bugger... yes gonna call u the same as we call everyone in SL.. u would know that if u actually stayed here for awhile.. u an idiot... and u have nothing to give except for ur googled articles and pictures...... thats how it is... we just like ur entertainment value.. and for the record the 5 or 10 people u know doest count to shit... so please don't bring ur stool here and ruin another thread which was actually started well.....

again i say no one did research... maybe there are few exceptions but the mass of the buyers just went for it because of the tax cuts... why is that so hard to believe u moron... this is SL... now may i suggest u get a life and do something in states without trying to lecture us about our people... i guess no one takes u seriously in the states ney.... at least we comment back to ur moronic posts... i guess Americans dont give a shit about some man from an island...

okay. you are right. Sri Lankans are idiots who buy Rs. 5+ million cars without doing any research on it.

Almost all the local hybrid drivers I know did their homework and thoroughly researched the overseas Prius knowledge base before deciding to plunk down Rs 5+ million on a technology and a car that was new and unproven in SL.

So did they "thoroughly research" if the car had alloy wheels or hub caps? :rolleyes:

• Like 3

So did they "thoroughly research" if the car had alloy wheels or hub caps? :rolleyes:

You know what? I have a feeling that what he is referring to is that some jokers called him and asked "machang, how car? Maxa no?" And he said "Max machang" and this is what he is passing off "did their homework and thoroughly researched". :rolleyes:

It seems every hybrid thread on AutoLanka turns into something like this photo (the car is not a hybrid, but it might as well be Sri Lankan Prius).

The usual hybrid haters have swung down from the trees and descended onto this thread. They are just bitter because every prediction and piece of advice they've made about hybrids in SL has turned out to be completely wrong. What they are most bitter about is the locals who don't share their mentality, and buy hybrids.

Hyundai+i30+40+Monkeys+(2).jpg

• Like 1

You are wrong Cali!!!!

that pic is of your friends doing their research on Hybrids before purchasing!

You are in the foreground right hand corner, contemplating the car's options... ;)

Edited by VVTi

They are just bitter because every prediction and piece of advice they've made about hybrids in SL has turned out to be completely wrong.

Has it? We've said don't buy it coz the support facilities are inadequate. There is now, what 5000 cars here? 10,000? And the people who can properly troubleshoot and fix a hybrid? Two agents and 1 private place (If they can actually do that).

Cali, YOU are the one who is completely wrong, so stop lying and go away.

AUTO NEWS

New Hybrid Car

Powered By Pee

peeing-250.jpg

(Detroit) - A new American environmental vehicle manufacturer, the Pee-In-Me Car Company, has unveiled an environmentally friendly vehicle that can be powered by human urine.

Instead of the hated high priced gasoline the car is propelled by pee power.

The revolutionary new vehicle is called the, "yellow stream" and gets up to 75 miles per pint of pee. It's easy to fuel; men can just pee directly into the tank while women will have to learn how to pee standing up.

According to a review of the vehicle in Green Is Keenmagazine, "This is a great new pee-powered fuel efficient vehicle for the environmentally conscious driver. The secret is drinking lots of liquids."

In the absence of urine, the vehicle also runs on polluted air or water, which is readily available everywhere.

The environmentally friendly and politically correct Yellow Stream is endorsed by the Sierra Club, the EPA and the ACLU ... and will cost approximately the same as a huge, gas guzzling SUV.

Want to piss on the Arab oil producers and the big oil companies? Get your Yellow Stream on the road.

• Like 1

It seems every hybrid thread on AutoLanka turns into something like this photo (the car is not a hybrid, but it might as well be Sri Lankan Prius).

The usual hybrid haters have swung down from the trees and descended onto this thread. They are just bitter because every prediction and piece of advice they've made about hybrids in SL has turned out to be completely wrong. What they are most bitter about is the locals who don't share their mentality, and buy hybrids.

Hyundai+i30+40+Monkeys+(2).jpg

okay. you are right. Sri Lankans are idiots who buy Rs. 5+ million cars without doing any research on it.

the masses are idiots either way.. have u looked at the recent budget... its last years carrots served genetically modified... listen its ok... u dont know enough about SL to know these things.... its ok not to know things... i know logically people should do their research before buying anything.. but SL public doenst have the same mentality as most do.. thats why we are unique... ha h ah ha... now go and plant some trees please....

Edited by charitha19

You couldn't even comprehend that the vehicle reliability and durability research done overseas can be of use locally. You fit right in with the idiot Sri Lankan masses.

all this crap can be used by people of good understanding of the factors that can be compared to SL and what not.. it takes a bit of interlect to translate ur googled research and use it before someone buys the prius. most of the prius buyers dont fit this profile... i know its unfortunate becuase they could have made some informed decisions.... but that is SL... "Wonder of asia"

You couldn't even comprehend that the vehicle reliability and durability research done overseas can be of use locally. You fit right in with the idiot Sri Lankan masses.

your previous argument was that "sri lankans have no choice but to look at overseas reliability test", not that overseas tests can be used to decide on the vehicle's suitability.

Btw Cali we're still waiting to hear from you about your glorious other international forums where people DONT consider you a little f@g. When are you gonna tell us that?

• Like 1

your previous argument was that "sri lankans have no choice but to look at overseas reliability test", not that overseas tests can be used to decide on the vehicle's suitability.

You are wrong. Try reading slowly from now on so you don't keep misreading and misinterpreting things.

The reliability data may not translate perfectly to SL, but the data still gives a very good idea of what to expect, especially with cars that are brand new to SL that locals have no experience with.

Ive just signed up for this site and all ive been seeing are that anytime someone puts up a question about a hybrid, flocks of users keeps insulting them on their vehicle. I really dont see what they have to hate them so much?? I own a prius 3rd gen and i can tell from over 2 years of use that although it may not be in the same class and far from the of looks as an exotic or be anywhere near a sports car in performance it does serve its purpose better than any other car ive used so far. Ive been using a 121 and ive been using beemers and several other US models and ive experienced first handed that this prius is much more reliable and much economical in every sense compared to other cars of the SAME price range. I am an avid lover of tuned modified cars and the prius does not make those come true but it still is one of the best cars ive ever driven. To anyone looking for a car which is reliable or economical i would recommend a prius although if looking for a cheap car it would not be bad to get a used 121 or civic (i am not a environmental freak btw :D though i do care for it :| )

The prius saves me a lot on gas and i mean a lot. i drive over 3000km per month both in colombo and to outstation locations. during long distance driving i ususally get over 20kmpl but if not going agressively i can get around 30kmpl while going at 50-70kmph. in rush hour traffic i get varying mileage while sometimes it may drop to 16kmpl but usually about 19-22kmpl. and considering the price of fuel it is a great saving considering i dont even have to use 95 octane. i was going to buy an allion 2011 but decided against it as the prius was full of options unlike the allion. someone here suggested that i test the pre collision system by driving at a wall or tree... and i did try it. but i instead drove it at a pile of cardboard boxes and for their info it did stop automatically without hitting it. and the radar cruise control is also a useful feature but i dont use it much considering our three wheel drivers and motor bikes. other maintenance stuff is also lower as the service has to be done only every 10000km and there is no need to change ATF oil or any belts. ive been using it for 40000km and the brake pads are almost like brand new. (in the corolla i would have to replace every 25000) the only problem is the stock ture size that came in the touring mode. the 17" 215 tires are a bit expensive but this problem is not there in the regular JP prius. ive yet to replace a single mechanical part and there have been no issues at all except that i drained the 12V battery once by listening to the radio in ACC mode for too long. another benefit is when the car is stopped you can use the AC without burning fuel. the performance is nowhere near a BMW or an american car but it does provide more power than the majority of vehicles in sri lanka (outside inner colombo ;) ) and the acceleration response is better because of the motors. and in PWR mode it feels much better than an insight in S mode (though the sound of the engine is not at all sporty... sounds like an aircraft taking off)

On the contrary to what people say, the battery is as reliable as any other part of the car and the chance of your battery failing is almost nil unless you treat it badly which is the same for a gasoline car if you do not maintain the engine it will be damaged. and the battery can now be repaired by changing damaged cells which are about 7000 rupees only.

and i believe a reason people insult hybrid owners are because they drive slowly. thats the fault of the driver, not the car.. driving slow will not make it more efficient and ive seen people in jaguars and BMWs going slower than that.

to all who think hybrids are cheap vehicles. just because they are relatively cheap here, in japan they are about two time more expensive when used than a brand new allion..

AND i know some here are going to say im jobless to be typing this :D yeah. true. im doing this just because some people dont care about saving their hard earned money that doesnt mean they should insult others who do try. anyone who has any questions im willing to provide answers to the best i can.

and im open to any comments why your'll hate hybrids so much :) (P.S i did hate them before i bought one... so you should try it without being prejudiced)

friend... i hav toyota vios and i thouht to sell it and get a hybrid,, so i want ur advices, u may pm me,,,

btw how abt the insurance cost and the battery life time???

• Like 1

:) i still cant even convince my friends that just because they have a hybrid they dont have to drive like old men annoying everyone on the road. i specially dislike those who drive right in the middle of the lane... if they drove while leaving space to overtake then i dont mind how slowly they go.. but they dont let anyone else to go and that makes them hate them even more.

and btw thanks for not insulting me :)

Thats our point too (gasoline power) either drive sensibly or move to a side as if we crawl we burn more fuel! :sport-smiley-003:

You are wrong Cali!!!!

that pic is of your friends doing their research on Hybrids before purchasing!

You are in the foreground right hand corner, contemplating the car's options... ;)

Hey stop lying. Cali if the big one right in front sitting on the roof with a boner. He's even pointing at it hoping one of the males will come over and lick the lollipop. Too bad Leonardo DiCaprio was out shooting a movie that day.

• Like 1

Hey guys I 'd like to anonymous so this is a fake FB profile. Anyway I've been driving a prius (3rd) for a while and i'd like to say one thing........ I'd like you all to remember the past, When the front wheel drives came what happened? can we find a rear wheel drive car now? when the automatics came what happened? it is going to be the same on hybrids. Luckily enough i bought an automatic car (brand new) for the permit in the year 1999 when everyone i know told me not to.at that time the automatic was more expensive for the brand new vehicles and I paid more than 1 lack for it. At that time the automatics were cheaper than the manuals in the car sales. I still own that car too and still i have not done anything on the transmission(No repairs) next month the car will be 13 years and i have done over 150,000 Km. I can still sell that car at a decent price since it is an auto..Now as i see it the future will be not hybrids but electric cars...... but as of now the it is hybrid.. have you done a survey to find repairs of the 1st gen prius.... i heard their batteries are still running fine. so as i see it the hybrids will be the future.... do you know that BMW released their hybrid versions in sri lanka last week. The 3 series is with a 3 cyllinder with 355 BHP,,,, beat that dudes. When I buy a car i usually don't sell it unlike most of you guys out there.So i bought a car for the future ..... the prius. I have had BMW, Mercs and other european cars in the past ... their maintenance and petrol bill really hit your purse. All the cars will be hybrids in the future so if you are inversting in a car for the future buy the prius it is an amazing car. What i tell people is that ..... don't talk about cars that you have not used and don't judge cars just by looking at them. (My prius does 13-14 in the city with heavy traffic and over 20 outstation) Most of the sri lankans have used a vitz/ 121/ vios/ because of the petrol price but most of them dont know about a luxury drive in the beemers and the mercs and most people don;t know how well the car handles, performs and how comfortable they are as they have not used a wide range of cars. the prius is par with most of the european cars with the PWR mode with 134BHP, in style, performance, design, and comfort why don;t you guys read the US reviews on hybrids. I am quite sure most of you guys who hate the prius haven't even got into one

I agree.. I know that one of the cab services in Sri Lanka Nam** ***** are replacing all their Axios with Prius.. I was bit surprised to know that the vehicle is being used 24 hrs per day ( 3 drivers get rotated per vehicle ) They are very positive about the vehicles and the maintenance costs etc...

I think worrying days are now over for Hybrids in Sri Lanka....

I agree.. I know that one of the cab services in Sri Lanka Nam** ***** are replacing all their Axios with Prius.. I was bit surprised to know that the vehicle is being used 24 hrs per day ( 3 drivers get rotated per vehicle ) They are very positive about the vehicles and the maintenance costs etc...

We heard a story about a certain neighbour picking up a bunch of Nano's as taxi's, being positive about the vehicles and maintenance costs too.

The proposition here is slightly different. In that sort of an operation the vehicles will pay for themselves within about 5 years (at least that is what I think the business proposition should be for a taxi business), and their main priority is fuel economy. If you have such a short term outlook and of course it is a good choice. Nobody is expecting the Prius's to fail prematurely as they are well built vehicles. And certainly in that sort of time frame if the total mileage is under say 200K Kms nobody would expect any real problems to crop up. After that they can dispose of their vehicles and if they make a profit on that it will be a bonus.

Same goes for other taxi companies. But purchasing vehicles for a business is a different proposition to buying one for personnel use.

Unlike the Nano, Toyota hybrids are Toyotas and have a history of reliability and durability. It's almost certain that the Prii taxis aren't going to turn into Nanos, and give the taxi owners problems like the Nano taxis did. Especially considering that they have been used around the world as taxis for over 10 years now, and have proven their reliability and durability.

DSC00274lgx1.jpg

World's first Prius taxi driver reports the Prius taxi paid for itself in 24 months through fuel savings and lower maintenance costs......... http://www.autospies...-no-time-17638/