• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

hmmm so much of argument.out of all arguments can somebody please shed some lights on the prius variants please? sorry for my ignorance.i just want to the differences between 1st gen,3rd gen and etc.hope some body can help without insulting :D

Don't worry.Cali is firing up the Google as we speak.You'll have your answer soon...OR you can just Wikipedia it and save him the trouble....

hmmm so much of argument.out of all arguments can somebody please shed some lights on the prius variants please? sorry for my ignorance.i just want to the differences between 1st gen,3rd gen and etc.hope some body can help without insulting :D

The answer to your question is too complex to be answered in a few sentences in a forum, so as masterdon suggested start with wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Prius

A typical, highly smug Prius owner!! What is the difference between woman in this video and Dushan Perera?

Next time you come across a smug Prius owner just tell them their Prius is old technology compared to the much more efficient new generation zero-emissions electric cars such as Nissan Leaf, Ford Focus Electric, Honda Fit EV and Tesla.

And the current Prius and Insight are also old technology compared to the new plug-in hybrids that are out such as the Prius Plug-In, Chevy Volt, and Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid that more than double the fuel economy of the current Prius with much lower emissions.

Don't worry.Cali is firing up the Google as we speak.You'll have your answer soon...OR you can just Wikipedia it and save him the trouble....

The answer to your question is too complex to be answered in a few sentences in a forum, so as masterdon suggested start with wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Toyota_Prius

Wow! a +10 for the accurate prediction :)

yeah i think i better find out googling my self.i thought some will explain the prius variants like the ek3 owners can explain ek3 variants with the BHP,other options,shell,lights ect.but noh prius is all about saving fuel.some body said prius in the power mode has 134hp? my 1997 civic too has 130hp. he he

• Like 1

Hey guys I 'd like to anonymous so this is a fake FB profile. Anyway I've been driving a prius (3rd) for a while and i'd like to say one thing........ I'd like you all to remember the past, When the front wheel drives came what happened? can we find a rear wheel drive car now? when the automatics came what happened? it is going to be the same on hybrids. Luckily enough i bought an automatic car (brand new) for the permit in the year 1999 when everyone i know told me not to.at that time the automatic was more expensive for the brand new vehicles and I paid more than 1 lack for it. At that time the automatics were cheaper than the manuals in the car sales. I still own that car too and still i have not done anything on the transmission(No repairs) next month the car will be 13 years and i have done over 150,000 Km. I can still sell that car at a decent price since it is an auto..Now as i see it the future will be not hybrids but electric cars...... but as of now the it is hybrid.. have you done a survey to find repairs of the 1st gen prius.... i heard their batteries are still running fine. so as i see it the hybrids will be the future.... do you know that BMW released their hybrid versions in sri lanka last week. The 3 series is with a 3 cyllinder with 355 BHP,,,, beat that dudes. When I buy a car i usually don't sell it unlike most of you guys out there.So i bought a car for the future ..... the prius. I have had BMW, Mercs and other european cars in the past ... their maintenance and petrol bill really hit your purse. All the cars will be hybrids in the future so if you are inversting in a car for the future buy the prius it is an amazing car. What i tell people is that ..... don't talk about cars that you have not used and don't judge cars just by looking at them. (My prius does 13-14 in the city with heavy traffic and over 20 outstation) Most of the sri lankans have used a vitz/ 121/ vios/ because of the petrol price but most of them dont know about a luxury drive in the beemers and the mercs and most people don;t know how well the car handles, performs and how comfortable they are as they have not used a wide range of cars. the prius is par with most of the european cars with the PWR mode with 134BHP, in style, performance, design, and comfort why don;t you guys read the US reviews on hybrids. I am quite sure most of you guys who hate the prius haven't even got into one

Okay before i say anything. I have driven Prius's and my dad used to own a 2nd gen prius as well.

1. DAFAQ are you on about a fake FB profile now?

2. So your get just 13-14kmpl on a prius? so u spend over 4.5M on a car just to get like 2Kmpl more than a normal car?

3. think the BMW's and Merc's you had owned earlier were peddle cars if your gonna compare a 3rd gen Prius with em.

Let me tell you sunshine. usually we don't hate the prius that much. it is a start for the later fuel crisis, though i still believe than hydrogen powered cars are the future.

What we HATE, is people like YOU, who owns a bloody prius and compare it with all the other cars wetting there panties and shouting "ITS THE BEST IN ITS CLASS.. ITS THE BEST IN THE WORLD"

the fact is its just a A-B car. and 134BHP for a 2009+ car is embarrassing What you people do is make everyone else's life miserable by hogging the lanes and driving at 25kmpl EVERYWHERE. and the amount of SMUG they have "Iam saving the planet iam driving green"

You don't see Insight owners or CRZ owners driving like that or Smug-ing like that. Its not the car. ITS the Driver.

and respect for PSP NANOTECH. for not being an arse to everyone when he drives his prius. but that said driving 3000-4000KM u cant judge a cars reliability/maintainability/dependability on it.

People do have to consider than unlike europian or american countries. Here in sri lanka a car lives forever. we don't scrap our cars, it gets passed on to generations and generations.

In your world, the 5 must be a 5 pot and the 7 must be a 7 pot... god help the 1 series in your happy little world.

LMAO :D

Edited by Schiffer

You have not read my article properly VVTi ......."Now as i see it the future will be not hybrids but electric cars......" So why don't you drive a rear wheel drive without AC and power steering and of course a manual too. Also why don't you try a bull cart.....???? That is anti future/ anti hybrid. I'm sure you would enjoy it while you say "ja ja""" he he.... Well i think you should stick to your cart and it's environment friendly too.... he he

BTW didn't know you could do this...."Hybrid is alike a drunk passed out girls whose punani is dry as sand paper and who just had a her period" ......didnt know that you have had sex with a woman like that... he he :speechless-smiley-023: I never tried, will try and will tell you whether it is like a hybrid...

Of course stick is for men, and not pussies!

Hi, well i started this thread to help out as much as i can and finally a question :) . the main difference is the newer technology available on the newer generations. the first gen is actually obsolete now but the second gen power train is still used on the newer smaller prii such as the aqua. (prius C) so its not quite oudated yet. the benefit you get from the third gen technology is mainly on the highways and that too at high speeds so its not such a big benefit in sri lankan roads. i went for the 3rd gen because of personal preference because the second gen was totally ugly for me. i only went for the 3rd gen with the 17"alloys because it didnt look so bad as the others. but that is pure personal preference. if your looking for a A - B riide. then either with low miles is a good option. the second gen is cheaper obviously and the mileage is almost same for both in sri lankan roads with average driving. if you are agressive the 3rd is better, calm slow driver the second gen might be better. i can explain the technical differences but that is only if you want. btw. the 2nd has a lower ride height but now since most roads are carpetted it not such a big issue because you will only graze on high bumps which you will obviously take slowly so will not do damage. :) hope it helps. any more question just ask.

• Like 1

I'm not against hybrid cars or the hybrid technology. I don't by a prius simply because I can't afford it. I can't afford more than 2.5M for a car and I think in general more than 50% of sri lankan car byers can't afford for a car more than that amount. Until such time the price tag of a hybrid fall to that level it will not be the majorities ride.

Within next couple of years general mass will be able to afford a hybrid car, an Indian company (KPIT Cummins) has developed a KIT for hybrid conversion (Revolo). The price is around 70,000/= IRs.

Below link shows a Hybrid Maruti Alto k10 and a Hybrid Tata Bullet Single cab.

http://revolo.kpitcummins.com/gallery.html

sources predict by 2030; 50% of the worlds vehicle will be hybrids, 15% will be pure electric and 35% will be petrol and diesels

Within next couple of years general mass will be able to afford a hybrid car, an Indian company (KPIT Cummins) has developed a KIT for hybrid conversion (Revolo). The price is around 70,000/= IRs.

Below link shows a Hybrid Maruti Alto k10 and a Hybrid Tata Bullet Single cab.

http://revolo.kpitcu...om/gallery.html

sources predict by 2030; 50% of the worlds vehicle will be hybrids, 15% will be pure electric and 35% will be petrol and diesels

With time and money, you can convert any car to an electric or a hybrid. But it's just not economically viable.

For example, check this guy who successfully converted a Ford Focus to an Electric Vehicle

http://www.simonfamily.us/FocusEV/

The fact is, every bits and pieces of hybrids and electric cars are designed to maximize efficiency, even the hub caps (something Cali didn't know). Why do u think Toyota came up with a whole new design for the Prius instead of plugging the batteries and stuff to a Corolla? . So just because you plugin a kit to a car and make it a hybrid, it doesn't mean you are going to save millions in fuel.

Edited by Crosswind

post-3809-0-69028300-1352115352_thumb.jp

well, that shows some of the savings. the spark plugs have to be replaced every 192000km and the coolant after 120 months (10 years O.o) and the transaxle oil after every 96000km. in the 121 i had to replace all these frequently, the ATF oil changes and spark plug changes alone will save alot and the brake pads also will save more than 90000 rupees per 100000km compared to a 121. so any repairs to hybrid system hoping to offset by these. i save bout 315000 on fuel per year and in 5 years thatll be bout 1.5 million. so any repairs i guess its covered.

well, that shows some of the savings. the spark plugs have to be replaced every 192000km and the coolant after 120 months (10 years O.o) and the transaxle oil after every 96000km. in the 121 i had to replace all these frequently, the ATF oil changes and spark plug changes alone will save alot and the brake pads also will save more than 90000 rupees per 100000km compared to a 121. so any repairs to hybrid system hoping to offset by these. i save bout 315000 on fuel per year and in 5 years thatll be bout 1.5 million. so any repairs i guess its covered.

I think what you quote is false economy. Clearly there will be some saving on brake pads due to the regenerative braking system employed in the Prius. But the others, well you might end up doing those at the same intervals as the 121 as preventative maintenance. If you were going by the book on the Prius you need to go by the same on the 121 and the manufacturer quoted values will look optimistic :)

90,000 brake pads? Dude, are you using 24 carat gold for the pads?

i had both F/R disks on 121 and the prius uses same pads as 121, allion, etc.. front was 14000 and rear was 10000 last time i checked., front usually lasted 30000km max with the wear indicator removed and run usually bout 28000km. so for 90000 km thats 3 pairs at 24000 each bout 72000 total for 90000km :) and still after 40000km the front brake pads on the prius looks like new and looks like itll last bout 150000 and rear is like brand new. so even if does only 90000 thats a saving of 48000 rupees per 90000 km. i usually brake using regen mostly and use friction brakes at last if not enough to stop without hitting the guy in front. also stops bikes trying to go between :) hope it explains the calculation

I think what you quote is false economy. Clearly there will be some saving on brake pads due to the regenerative braking system employed in the Prius. But the others, well you might end up doing those at the same intervals as the 121 as preventative maintenance. If you were going by the book on the Prius you need to go by the same on the 121 and the manufacturer quoted values will look optimistic :)

well, i usually do the service every 10000km and thats double of what i run in the 121. book says to do every 8000 but even at 10000, the oil is just a dull brown. in the 121 after 5500 itll be black. ..and the oil filter is also not clogged. so i guess sometimes we can stick out of the rules :) in sri lanka we usually run a vehicle as much as we can without causing damaging, like i dont think anyone checks the drive train, suspension, joints , etc every 16000km like in the book :)

• Like 1

i had both F/R disks on 121 and the prius uses same pads as 121, allion, etc.. front was 14000 and rear was 10000 last time i checked., front usually lasted 30000km max with the wear indicator removed and run usually bout 28000km. so for 90000 km thats 3 pairs at 24000 each bout 72000 total for 90000km :) and still after 40000km the front brake pads on the prius looks like new and looks like itll last bout 150000 and rear is like brand new. so even if does only 90000 thats a saving of 48000 rupees per 90000 km. i usually brake using regen mostly and use friction brakes at last if not enough to stop without hitting the guy in front. also stops bikes trying to go between :) hope it explains the calculation

you are one cheap bA$#rD!!! You're probably the biggest cheapskate of them all so far.. not just stingy on the fuel but on the brake pads too...

DO you lay a newspaper on the seat to keep it from wearing out due to the friction caused by your cheap a$$?

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

well, i usually do the service every 10000km and thats double of what i run in the 121. book says to do every 8000 but even at 10000, the oil is just a dull brown. in the 121 after 5500 itll be black. ..and the oil filter is also not clogged. so i guess sometimes we can stick out of the rules :) in sri lanka we usually run a vehicle as much as we can without causing damaging, like i dont think anyone checks the drive train, suspension, joints , etc every 16000km like in the book :)

Can you go tell that exact same thing to the google-f@g-Cali? Cos he thinks some jpeg of a overseas reliability survey is the answer to everything in sri lanka too.. probably has a framed version in his house that he worships every morning...

Edited by Watchman

You drove your Prius 20,000 km per year, Prius average mpg is 47 ( = 20 km/l ) and corolla average mpg is 30 ( = 12 km/l) . ( source : http://www.fuelly.com) . Now based on these figures you can save 40%.

Assuming a litre of petrol costs Rs 150, for the corolla you would spend Rs 250,000 for 20,000 km. Hence your saving is 250,000*40/100 = Rs. 100,000 per annum.

If I assume, you get 25kmpl from Prius, your saving is 52%, which gives you a saving of Rs. 130,000. Now show us your math

If you ever decide to go for a drive in the hill country and/or in the rain or something when your Prius has about 50,000 on the clock, please ensure that there is no one else in area when your brakes give up the ghost and send you over the cliff. Your cheapass ways getting you a Darwin Award we have no problem with but we really would rather that any innocent bystanders don't get hurt as well.

For the benefit of the general public mind sharing your plate number?

I'd rather get run over by a Bullock cart!

• Like 1

If you ever decide to go for a drive in the hill country and/or in the rain or something when your Prius has about 50,000 on the clock, please ensure that there is no one else in area when your brakes give up the ghost and send you over the cliff. Your cheapass ways getting you a Darwin Award we have no problem with but we really would rather that any innocent bystanders don't get hurt as well.

heyy. im not saying im going to run them when they are worn out. i change the wheel positions every 2 weeks and check brake pads and rotors and all the mechanical parts. im not that stupid as yourll say. :( i just meant to say that they last longer than in the 121. in the 121 i had to run without the wear indicator because the brakes started squealing in the middle of the uva province and so the mechanic there removed it so that i could get back to colombo, right next day i replaced them. hmmm. i guess i made a fool of myself :(

• Like 1

you are one cheap bA$#rD!!! You're probably the biggest cheapskate of them all so far.. not just stingy on the fuel but on the brake pads too...

DO you lay a newspaper on the seat to keep it from wearing out due to the friction caused by your cheap a$$?

well. im not cheap on the brakes if you can see. i just said that they last longer than in my earlier car... and for your information if i might say i am not a cheap a$$ :( i dont even have seat covers, steering wheel covers or any form of such things in my car and i am not a bit stingy to spend on the car. ive already spent several 100k on fixing the AV system and putting other mods and i dont keep my car at home and go in the bus like some people do to save fuel. if i can save fuel while doing my normal activities why do i need to be ashamed of that, anyone would prefer that. no one drives in a way so as to get lowest FE right? i drive the prius the way ive driven before i bought it and actually more aggressively too as the prius has more power THAN THE corolla (not a BMW) and am not saying the prius is the best car in the world.. far from it.. well hope it explains my point. and hope i havent made a further fool of myself..... thanks for the insight on my point btw.. i value that you know..

• Like 1

For me it looks like an average hybrid owner has no time to enjoy his ride.

He has to worry about fuel consumption, he has to worry about break pad wearing when stopping, he has to worry about the travelling speed and maintenance intervals so he can to justify the money spent for the car, he has to worry about his appearance being futuristic, he has to worry about his conversations to be futuristic and may be he has to worry about other males not perceiving him as a male animal.

what a pain a man to receive after spending 5 million rupees!

• Like 9

For me it looks like an average hybrid owner has no time to enjoy his ride.

He has to worry about fuel consumption, he has to worry about break pad wearing when stopping, he has to worry about the travelling speed and maintenance intervals so he can to justify the money spent for the car, he has to worry about his appearance being futuristic, he has to worry about his conversations to be futuristic and may be he has to worry about other males not perceiving him as a male animal.

what a pain a man to receive after spending 5 million rupees!

Give this man a million points, this is the best Hybrid related statement made since we started talking about the damned things!!!

I salute you sir.