• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Classic/collectible Cars

GTAm

Good one Nexus. Do you think there are many left?

sadly there is only one ae86(original) and some converted ones are here and there are few ae85 are in SL afaik it's a rare car.

What about 70's Datsun Cedrics (230 and the 330 series)? They're big and rare also very inexpensive buy.

1st gen Toyota Celica

I would also love to ad the Galant Lambda http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Galant_Lambda, I have seen one of these in Bandarawela side, but not in good shape at all.

Sorry GTAm they are all Jap, but cant help it.

I would ad the BMW E32 and the E39 to that list of future classics

What about 70's Datsun Cedrics (230 and the 330 series)? They're big and rare also very inexpensive buy.

1st gen Toyota Celica

I would also love to ad the Galant Lambda http://en.wikipedia....i_Galant_Lambda, I have seen one of these in Bandarawela side, but not in good shape at all.

Sorry GTAm they are all Jap, but cant help it.

I would ad the BMW E32 and the E39 to that list of future classics

Thanks Gummy. Cedric, now that's a name I have not heard in a long long time ;) And there was a Gloria too. What were they thinking :D ?

I think most have rusted away or running with diesel conversions. Not sure of their ability to achieve classic status. I mean they were not really known for anything good other than being cheap and big weren't they? Those two Nissan Presidents though are definitely worth something with their V8s.

I know about 5 guys craving for a TA22 Toyota Celica but have not been able to find one for years. Galant Lambda, too rare too. What do you think about those Jap Kei sports cars? Suzuki Cuppacino, Honda Beat etc? Latter day MG/Healey Sprigets?

Have you come across any CRX, RX7 or 406 Coupe in unmolested condition? I remember seeing an utterly effed up 406 coupe at Punchi Car Sale (of all places on earth!)

There is a very unmolested red 406 Coupe that gets occasionally driven by a work colleague. Tho I suspect that would already be classed as in the hands of collectors...

What do you think about those Jap Kei sports cars? Suzuki Cuppacino, Honda Beat etc?

Doubt they will survive long enough to become classics. You can never say in SL tho, they do some interesting old cars never die things here.

The MX3/Autozam is something to think about.

Doubt you'd find an unraped one there too. I remember there was general hilarity all round when I went an looked at a 1.8l before getting the VZ-R (relative sizes of car and prospective driver amused some folks) but that was in pretty poor nick even back then.

Thanks Gummy. Cedric, now that's a name I have not heard in a long long time ;) And there was a Gloria too. What were they thinking :D ?

I think most have rusted away or running with diesel conversions. Not sure of their ability to achieve classic status. I mean they were not really known for anything good other than being cheap and big weren't they? Those two Nissan Presidents though are definitely worth something with their V8s.

I know about 5 guys craving for a TA22 Toyota Celica but have not been able to find one for years. Galant Lambda, too rare too. What do you think about those Jap Kei sports cars? Suzuki Cuppacino, Honda Beat etc? Latter day MG/Healey Sprigets?

Cedric; I know of one guy doing a full restoration on one, it is supposed to be loaded and still running a petrol engine (6sri I think). The Gloria's were the ones with the sporty feel right?

There were some Celica's around but they were not in the best of nic, most were raped boy owners when they couldn't find the parts and fitted with fart cannons and the works. Remembered this thread when talking about the Celica

Honda Beat; well only a handful remains in unmolested condition, not many Cappucino's around.

Those two Nissan Presidents though are definitely worth something with their V8s.

Machan, I am aware of the whereabouts of one (used by the owner of a famous car sale and a leasing company). Any idea where the other one is? Afaik the latter was up for sale some time ago.

Speaking of modern V8s, there are few 5ltr Ford Fairlanes (Aussie made) in SL. A 301- plated one, an FZ- plated one and another english numbered one is what I know. But I doubt if they will make it to classicdom anytime at all.

Are u aware of any of the Holdens from 1970s in decent nick? Sometime ago I noticed a totally messed up 40-sri Holden UTE in the streets of colombo. It could possibly be the only Holden UTE in SL, but it was used to lug 'parana yakada'. There are a few Statesmans afaik.

Edited by Crosswind

Machan, I am aware of the whereabouts of one (used by the owner of a famous car sale and a leasing company). Any idea where the other one is? Afaik the latter was up for sale some time ago.

Speaking of modern V8s, there are few 5ltr Ford Fairlanes (Aussie made) in SL. A 301- plated one, an FZ- plated one and another english numbered one is what I know. But I doubt if they will make it to classicdom anytime at all.

Are u aware of any of the Holdens from 1970s in decent nick? Sometime ago I noticed a totally messed up 40-sri Holden UTE in the streets of colombo. It could possibly be the only Holden UTE in SL, but it was used to lug 'parana yakada'. There are a few Statesmans afaik.

Crosswind I saw one 'President' in Negombo. It's gotta diesel lump but still on the Petrol number. And the interior and exterior look decent. All the trim seemed to be intact. I'm quite positive that a V8 can be found and brought down from overseas.

Your right about the Fairlane. Crude buses.

70's Holdens, I see a few Statesman around occasionally. So I doubt finding one will be hard. Almost all are said to have come with I6's though, so you will have to import a V8 from down under. I recall when I was a kid there were so many HQ Kingswoods around. Not seen one for ages. Rust must have taken them down. Like the rear end of the Kingswood. A bit Camaro-ish.

Doubt they will survive long enough to become classics. You can never say in SL tho, they do some interesting old cars never die things here.

Doubt you'd find an unraped one there too. I remember there was general hilarity all round when I went an looked at a 1.8l before getting the VZ-R (relative sizes of car and prospective driver amused some folks) but that was in pretty poor nick even back then.

Thought so about the Beat and Cuppa.

Not so sure about the Autozam/MX3 though a few months ago I saw a white one in very good shape and this week I saw a decent black one near Kotte. Both had not been de-faced as yet, thankfully.

Cedric; I know of one guy doing a full restoration on one, it is supposed to be loaded and still running a petrol engine (6sri I think). The Gloria's were the ones with the sporty feel right?

There were some Celica's around but they were not in the best of nic, most were raped boy owners when they couldn't find the parts and fitted with fart cannons and the works. Remembered this thread when talking about the Celica http://forum.autolan...-japanese-cars/

Honda Beat; well only a handful remains in unmolested condition, not many Cappucino's around.

I think the Cedric and Gloria were essentially the same car. They looked very alike. Yes Celicas are as good as extinct I believe.

Crosswind I saw one 'President' in Negombo. It's gotta diesel lump but still on the Petrol number. And the interior and exterior look decent. All the trim seemed to be intact. I'm quite positive that a V8 can be found and brought down from overseas.

I recall seeing an HG- plated one and an HN-plated one. Neither of them are converted to diesel afaik. That means there must be more than two Nissan Presidents in SL. What's the number series of the President that you saw in Negombo?

I recall seeing an HG- plated one and an HN-plated one. Neither of them are converted to diesel afaik. That means there must be more than two Nissan Presidents in SL. What's the number series of the President that you saw in Negombo?

I have a bad habit of never noting the number Crosswind. It was a late 1970's model I'd say. At the relatively large old car place on the left side of the road between the Airport and Negombo junc. That guy sometime is able to find some interesting cars. There was a very old van Jowett if I recall and a 50's Simca. The guys name is Sumith. I used to have his number but it's vanished after changing phones a few times.

The "classic car search" group on FB has some pictures of a president in fairly good nick, Owned at one time by Aquila Peiris the Architect I believe. There is also one that is in pretty poor shape at 505 motors' yard in kelaniya. It has been sitting their for quite awhile. Not entirely sure whether it's still sitting there though.

Not so sure about the Autozam/MX3 though a few months ago I saw a white one in very good shape and this week I saw a decent black one near Kotte. Both had not been de-faced as yet, thankfully.

Hmm, the one in poor condition that I saw was white, but a bit of TLC could have gotten it back to good shape. But even among the MX3s, the worthwhile one would be the V6 incarnation.

Do believe one of the above is an Infiniti Q45 (first gen) saw one it last Monday on the Udahamulla Road towards Maharagama. The other is the one which was/owned by the car dealer. Also there was a very old President from the 1970's which was for sale somewhere in Mount sometime back, 325 number if I'm not mistaken.

One more thing A*W has a Nissan President / Cima PGF50 with K plates and have seen the replacement of the President the Fuga as well in Sri Lanka

Edited by Gummybr

talking of Holdens i remember my uncle borrowing his friends Holden (when i was a kid) which was originally brought down for the summit,it was a 5 sri one and Maroon with white hood,very comfortable and spacious inside and im not mistaken it was an auto tranny car ,the downside was the ground clearance being very low

talking of Holdens i remember my uncle borrowing his friends Holden (when i was a kid) which was originally brought down for the summit,it was a 5 sri one and Maroon with white hood,very comfortable and spacious inside and im not mistaken it was an auto tranny car ,the downside was the ground clearance being very low

'carboy',

The web link below you will see the last tree cars what your post refers. Holden statesmen originally brought down for the summit use.

http://richardlewis.org/pictures/thumbs/pages/holden/16-HX_JPG.htm

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, are you aware of any 70s Holden in good nick in Sri Lanka?

'Crosswind',

There was one at Deal place Colombo 00300. That was very well maintained car Owner one Mr. Perara passed away.

Try to contact his wife or his brother-in law, both are known to me.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

carboy you're right they were maroon. The hood was not white but more beige if I recall right. Not sure if they were auto or man, but they had column shifts. Yes very very comfy.