• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Touch-Up Painting

CodeMaster

Question

My car had few minor scratch and need to remove some buffer guard rubber lines and do touch-up over these removing rubber lines. It's a metelic silver colour car with orginal paint 9 years old (paint is still in very good condition). If I do touch up according to color code and will it be sucessfull? (hope you guys are having better experence on this).

Thanks!!!

10 answers to this question

My car had few minor scratch and need to remove some buffer guard rubber lines and do touch-up over these removing rubber lines. It's a metelic silver colour car with orginal paint 9 years old (paint is still in very good condition). If I do touch up according to color code and will it be sucessfull? (hope you guys are having better experence on this).

Thanks!!!

As long as the painters match the original colour it will be successful. The complication might be the fact that paint fades a bit over time so the original colour code wont match the current paint on the car, but the mixers may be able to compensate. You should try a cut and polish first to see if it improves things sufficiently.

How well the job will turn up depends on how large the scratches actually are, how good the color matching is and how skillful the person doing the touch up is.

Like "The Don" suggested try to buff/polish off as much of the rubber scrapings as possible, you might even realize that the scratches are barely visible visible after the rubber is gone.

A good color match job can come pretty close to the faded color of the car, although there might be an extremely slight difference in hue at certain angles barely barely visible to the eye and only to those who can be really an***y retentive about those things. Who ever does the touch up job should be somewhat good at being able to feather it in properly, if not it might just end up like a blob of paint stuck on.

And since you are sprucing the body up and see any small parking lot dings: as a tip...I had a few parking lot dings on my car, I used a suction cap from the sun visor. Placed it on the ding and pulled it..had to repeat the pulling several times but it actually worked out well :) ....I didn't want to use one of those stick on and pull DIY systems (I've heard the glue sometimes peels the paint off when removing the unit but also heard some where okay)

On a side note, has anyone tried using the so called touch up pens for scratch cover-up? There are plenty of those products on the net. Are they any good?

The brand I use is named 'Keyline' and while these pens aren't that great, for what you pay: I find them to be decent enough. I buy the kind that has a clear coat applicator on one side and the paint on the other. You wouldn't be able to use it for large scratches etc. But it works well on small but deep nicks and scratches such as stone chips etc.

The brand I use is named 'Keyline' and while these pens aren't that great, for what you pay: I find them to be decent enough. I buy the kind that has a clear coat applicator on one side and the paint on the other. You wouldn't be able to use it for large scratches etc. But it works well on small but deep nicks and scratches such as stone chips etc.

From where did you buy them ? I'm also in search of touch up paint pens to deal with minor scratches which has reached the base coat, and i would also like to know where i can buy clear coat spray cans ? Clear coat pen would be fine as well.

From where did you buy them ? I'm also in search of touch up paint pens to deal with minor scratches which has reached the base coat, and i would also like to know where i can buy clear coat spray cans ? Clear coat pen would be fine as well.

Amazon or ebay would work. For example from the dupli-colour brand...

Edited by Kavvz
  • Like 1

I talked to them on two occasions for two different jobs and each time they have quoted nearly the same cost that will go to get the entire panel repainted.

when I told them the cost is too high for a touch up, they claim that after the touch up done need to apply a lacquer cote for the full panel and that's why the cost is high.

I don't see any point of getting touch up done if it's cost you the same amount of repainting the panel.

So I DIY both jobs which was about 80% success.

Edited by LancerL
Typo