• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Shock Absorber Test Results

MAS

I did a test at a shop in Wellawatte and it showed my rear shocks were imbalanced and was advised to replace. I did a 2nd test at a shop in Hyde Park and it showed my front shocks were imbalanced. Now I am totally lost :-)

The shocks are on a Hyundai Tucson and they have done more than 60,000Km. I personally feel the rear stiff but not bouncing up and down. 28psi on the rears and 30psi on the front.

Your comments and advice are most welcome :-)

Thanks !

well the only good way check the shocks is to remove one from the front and one from the rear and compress them with your hands. The computerized thing is just crap. Either way at 60k you could very well be in need of new shocks.

Which side would you give priority ? I cant afford 4 shocks in one go.

well the only good way check the shocks is to remove one from the front and one from the rear and compress them with your hands. The computerized thing is just crap. Either way at 60k you could very well be in need of new shocks.

with bad shocks you feel like excess wobbling of car in breaking and cornering.

Some mechanics test it just by pressing the corners of car and feeling the hardness to compress and that's even more crappy,what you've to observe is, when you press it deeper, it should come back to original position and should not bounce up and down,(atleast NO single bounce).

By manual way,

first go to a shop and see your model shock , and just press it. Get an idea how it goes down,and the way of returning slowly to original position.

Remove a one shock from front, and rear ,

press it and feel,

in proper working shock , it should come back to original position just as JDNET mentioned.

Don't listen to what mechanics say, if you know the rules of the game.

And when you remove it, check the conditions of shock mounts, lower arm bushes ect , since those are easily accessible when shocks removed.

After replacement , turn your steering from lock to lock with shutter open + AC/Music off and listen for any clunky sounds.(had such noise by not proper installing of shock to the mount by mechanic)

and always if you want to test the suitability of the man who install the shock,

i had a small question to ask from him.

just ask,

will my ride height increase after installing new shocks ?

If he say Yes, just walk away because man is reta*ded.

He doesn't know a crap about shocks.

Good luck mate,

i also check this computer shock thing it says my shocks Good,

but from the experience i know it's time to change. .

Edited by chan5

chan5,

Your above post is very educative to new motorists.

Can you inform at what Kilometer reading for a new vehicle to change Shock absorbers and after how many Kilometers after that.

As the member MAS psst complains the two reports are different . I too have had this experience with S/A testing machines in S L.

According to a leading importer of shock absorbers, He is known to me for last 40 years. Recommend in 10000 to 20000 thousand kilometers.

He may be giving his opinion to sell his shock absorbers. There is no S/A testing stations I think have their machine calibration method for correct reports to prove their machine is working to correct standards if not two S/A testing stations will not give two different reports of their testing.

I have requested him to have a single shock absorber testing machine as a importer they should have with all specifications of automobiles S/A.

In a computer then compare the shock absorber what they have tested with what they sell to the customer is the correct one.

When a customer comes with a S/A they should inspect and give the manufactures recommended S/A to the customer instead of selling their S/A.

Then the customer will be satisfied he has got the correct S/A. Instead of having a doubt of the mechanics doubt too, to go in for a costly replacement.

Because the roads are developed in S L not like good old days just tar roads almost all major roads are carpeted.

Only few roads are still with tar finish. S L government is doing away with tar system like in devolved countries.

Like to have your valuable detail comments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Which side would you give priority ? I cant afford 4 shocks in one go.

Replace the rear ones first, unless you can visibly see oil leaking from any of the shock absorbers. When shocks fail, you feel the failure of the rears more, particularly when there is no weight at the back, and the effect on this can be quite severe when it comes to handling. (the problem is a lot worse in vehicles like station wagons with load carrying capacity).

The fronts will feel better at the early stages thanks to the wright of the engine on them. But this is only if other items such as shock mounts are still functional.