• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Historic Images Of Old Ceylon - Automotive And Otherwise

Sampath Gunasekera

Thank you Sampath for your glimpse of the past.

BTW is n't interesting to note the physique of our people those days! Hardly any pot bellies to be seen. They must have been regularly attending their gym, aerobic, and yoga classes :sport-smiley-003: I believe.

• Like 1

My guesses are

1. Photo 1 - Taken from where current Hilton Hotel is.

2. Photo 2 - This photo has been flipped. Look at the first Morris Minor's license plate. This is most probably where current SLECC is, opposite Lake House

3. Photo 3 - Almost impossible to guess. But my guess is Chalmer's Granary

Thanks Crosswind.

Photo1: I don't think so. The buildings showings "Stanvac" & Fly are not in Fort , I think. However Bus looks like traveling to "Kotahena" if my eyes are correct. :)

Added content: This photo might taken from CTO side aiming present Hilton Hotel side. Today I observed that Long-Short fence posts are still there at Transwork House side (Colombo Fort Police Station). For me still not sure the correct place. :(

Photo 2: Great. You are Correct Machan. It had been flipped.

I too think this is opposite Lake House.

Here is the correct photo.

2f25.jpg

Photo 3: I also feel like Chalmer's Granary.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

BTW is n't interesting to note the physique of our people those days! Hardly any pot bellies to be seen. They must have been regularly attending their gym, aerobic, and yoga classes :sport-smiley-003: I believe.

Thanks Rumesh.

I park there now -rather sad when you run over the old tram tracks & whats left of the cobblestone paving from where the warehouses used to be :(

Devinda, as far as I know they are not Tram Tracks (in side Chalmer's Granary) . They are old railway track connections which connected main railway line at Fort Railway Station and Harbour Railway Line via Chalmer's Granary by crossing Olcott Road. If you check most of the Colombo maps, still you can see that old railway line.

zxag.jpg

Thanks Rumesh.

Devinda, as far as I know they are not Tram Tracks (in side Chalmer's Granary) . They are old railway track connections which connected main railway line at Fort Railway Station and Harbour Railway Line via Chalmer's Granary by crossing Olcott Road. If you check most of the Colombo maps, still you can see that old railway line.

zxag.jpg

you learn something new everyday! Thanks Sampath :)

Morris Oxford - 5 Sri 8365 belong to Prof. P. A. de Silva

He bought this car from UK at GBP 630/= (late 1960s) and returned back to Sri Lanka by Road. (8,000 miles / 21 days).

Still this car is with him.

Interesting Story…… :)

News paper: Sunday Lankadeepa - 18 August 2013

Pages : 12 & 21

i9g8.jpg

m7al.jpg

• Like 1

yeah i noticed it too on a serious note i feel that the food that they ate was healthy and fresh cooked daily unlike the frozen stuff we eat which has a load of chemicals

• 1 month later...

CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) trucks in Jaffna for School Transport in 1940s

(Source – Facebook – Old Ceylon)

yh38.jpg

Another School Bus waiting to pick students from Jaffna Vembadi Girls schools.

vzc3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Military_Pattern_truck

They were mass built in Canada during World War - II by Ford and Chevrolet both companies.

As per one commenter, these vehicles (in Jafna) had the accelerator pedal on the center, the brake pedal on the right and the clutch on the left. :speechless-smiley-003:

• Like 1

Thank you Sampath for the two photographs. It just struck me that the landscape, road pavement, and the way the two bystanders dressed up in the first photograph do not seem like the features of old Jaffna. I could be wrong though!

Edited by Rumesh88

CMP (Canadian Military Pattern) trucks in Jaffna for School Transport in 1940s

(Source – Facebook – Old Ceylon)

yh38.jpg

Another School Bus waiting to pick students from Jaffna Vembadi Girls schools.

vzc3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Military_Pattern_truck

They were mass built in Canada during World War - II by Ford and Chevrolet both companies.

As per one commenter, these vehicles (in Jafna) had the accelerator pedal on the center, the brake pedal on the right and the clutch on the left. :speechless-smiley-003:

I think there was one for sale a week or two ago!!! :unsure:

Though it has nothing automotive, it really is awesome how a thread like this (or FB) can help share with the world those priceless images, documents etc All this amazing bits of history would otherwise be sitting in someone's cupboard till they decayed away and were lost forever.

• Like 3

'Motor Vehicle Spare Parts Purchase Card' in 1970s

Original Source: Facebook - 'Vintage & Classic Cars'

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.274465172678939&type=1

Members, if you have more details/experience , please share ….. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Photos in 1973

(Source- E-mail)

(1) Ceylon Hotels Corporation - Tourist Car with Red/White Number Plates & Hood Rack - 5 Sri 9048

vhvk.jpg

(2) Fruit and vegetable market, Kandy (1973)
Red CTB Buses, Classic Cars... :smilie_liebe9:

No 'Polythene Bags', Paper Bags & Cloth Bags only...

6fz6.jpg

(3) Elephant approaching, Kandy (1973)

William’s Biscuit Van

http://www.muncheelk.com/our-history

193x.jpg

• Like 3

Exactly 35 years ago....28th October 1978

Country lost Mrs.Rukmani Devi - 'The queen of Sinhala Cinema' & famous photographer Mr.Daya Perera due to tragic motor accident.

ilcf.jpg

That Toyota Hiace van and photos of the same can be seen here...

Photos in 1973

(Source- E-mail)

(1) Ceylon Hotels Corporation - Tourist Car with Red/White Number Plates & Hood Rack - 5 Sri 9048

vhvk.jpg

(2) Fruit and vegetable market, Kandy (1973)

Red CTB Buses, Classic Cars... :smilie_liebe9:

No 'Polythene Bags', Paper Bags & Cloth Bags only...

6fz6.jpg

(3) Elephant approaching, Kandy (1973)

William’s Biscuit Van

http://www.muncheelk.com/our-history

193x.jpg

Sampath, have they edited the photos? their qualitiy seems to be good

I don't think so. Have seen even some videos before 70s are in very colourfull and high clarity.

If the original was on a negative film of small grain size, it can be converted to a digital photo of the quality as in those pics above. IMO there may have been some corrections in contrast and color but the pic of this quality is possible only with a high quality negative, a professional scanner and converter software.

Exactly 35 years ago....28th October 1978

Country lost Mrs.Rukmani Devi - 'The queen of Sinhala Cinema' & famous photographer Mr.Daya Perera due to tragic motor accident.

ilcf.jpg

That Toyota Hiace van and photos of the same can be seen here...

Did both of these individuals die from the same accident? I thought Rukamni Devi got into an accident in a Mitsubishi Delica hence the phrase Rukmani model Delica.

Edited by xXx