• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Historic Images Of Old Ceylon - Automotive And Otherwise

Sampath Gunasekera

Members,

I thought I will post this under I got by Email it is the history of Colombo 00300.

How Baradeniya became Kollupitiya

Fascinating history of Colombo 00300.

There was a time when Kollupitiya was known as Baradeniya. It was a beautiful rustic village with coconut gardens and cinnamon trees that grew wild and narrow cart-tracks which connected the few villas and homes here with the rest of the country.

For the purpose of postal services 'Colombo 03' consists of Kollupitiya.

Thus is a brief description of what was Kollupitiya or Colombo 03. (Some of this information was obtained from a book titled Colonial Kollupitiya and its environs by H.M.M. Herath

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Kollupitiya (Colpetty) - Old Photos

cp1colpetty.jpg

cp2colpetty.jpg

Colpetty Bazaar, Colombo 1920

cp3colpettybazaarcolomb.jpg

Colpetty Road leading to Mount Lavinia

cp4colpettyroadleadingt.jpg

The Bristol Studio, Colpetty

cp5thebristolstudiocolp.jpg

Steam train 1910

Steam%20train%201910%20Colombo_%20Ceylon.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Mr. S.Gunasekara,

The lat photo on your post is the Railway line going under the Galle road near Galle face hotel that two propitiates are still belongs to one Fonseka family.

First one which has a tall Coconut tree is owned by "PLATE" STUDIO Fonseka brothers. Last property on left is owned by two brothers they are Jayawardene's Their mother is still living one Miss Fonseka before marriage.

Both above said families have about 1500 Square feet of land each on the sea front which they still have deeds for same due to sea erosion the two lands are covered by sea beach. Next property is belongs to Galle face Hotel they too have considerable amount land which sea had covered.

According to one municipality officer the only privately free hold owned land on sea is belongs to said three owners. I cannot say this story is correct it may be true because when the new cable ( fiber optic) SLT wanted to lay number of years back they were trying to locate the owners because Cable and wireless had leased the said land few portion for their cable end joint hut for 99 years. Still that cables and Cable hut is there.

The Cable and Wireless under sea cable used to end at that point.. from there cable goes to CTO land underground route.

SLT and Municipality, I as old resident came to me to find out who is this Fonseka family and their where a bouts. At that time Army was occupying the said two propitiates.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Pericles,

Yes you are correct.

Please read my Post carefully. It was during previous regime time when first FIBER OPTIC cable was to be connect to S L.

Fonseka families are my close relations. That is one reason I too own lands in Kollupitiya..I did not want to mention that early.

In Municipality I had my close friends, the Engineer in charge in SLT was a relative of my Wife from Jaela.

That engineer has left SLT and doing a assignment of cable project work to AT&T in USA at present.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

I post Web link you will get some information about Kollupitiya.

http://www.rootsweb....w/slm-kollu.htm

There is some reference to one "Ambanwela Rala" this is the person who was responsible in settling our ancestors during the Dutch period to plant Coconut in Kollupitiysa to Wellawathe W.A.Silve Mawatha. According to Late R.L. Pereira who later became a leading lawyer and King's Counsel . ... the Colonial Secretary, the King's Advocate, the Colonial Treasurer-when during the time he was on lime light he wrote a book of our ancestors in Kollupitiya. Which I am unable to give any reference.

Trying to find out from some presets. They have some documents. Because Bambalapitiya Wajirarama temple premises Lauris road Bambalapitiya Methrama temple Wellawathe Wijayarama temple was presented by my ancestors.Have to visit them personally to get correct information.

Lauris Road St Mary's Church land extending from duplication Road to Havalock road was presented by my great grand father Late Abraham Fonseka. Church was build by late Mr. Bastian Fernando who was a millionaire during 1900 early part. Fonekas and Wijesinghes still do the Church feast with our own funds.

The Fonsekas was early Sembuge Don Rajakaruna goonathilake/ Goonawardana. Had the family name later they all took Fonseka and Silva to be their last name due to long number of names. Wijesinghes, Alvisas, Diases, Pereras married Fonseka girls.

All above said people (2500) were brought to Kollupitiya to Wellawathe and settled them by said Ambenwela Rala. He had no family life all children were illegitimate children he had from his Mistresses.

Totaling to forty or more. All men worked under him in planting Coconut trees and tapping Toddy. For distilling spirits for Dutch first Distillery was the temple trees Dutch established because TODDY was not enough kick for them.

All of them were brought down from. MATHARA TO HAMBANTHOTA who was prepared to do plantation and trained toddy tappers they were all young families the said person looked after their well being.

Later when he was old most of his illegitimate children was fighting for the share He had promised there is Box (Pettagama) once I close my Eyes I have appointed Dutch officer to distribute equally among deserving people. But when he died there was nothing like that inside the Box.

Lands from Kollupitiya to W.A.SILVa Mawathe wae distrubeted with those familys who came to do Coconut Plantation and Tapping Toddy free by Dutch.

Today most of those lands are sold to others.

This is my history in Colombo 00300.

Few Prominent Buddist, Catholic prests and people I will add under.

Above said some are dead. Most names are taken from the Web.

All above named priests and persons had some connection in Kollupitiya because they had relations who were original settlers in kollupitiya.

There can be some mistakes this is what is according to my memory.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Mr. S.Gunasekara,

I have to correct the post posted to A/L addressed to you early, about that last picture of yours.

Military Police had taken over the entire land adjoining the railway line for their welfare society and Military Police is there to look after the security.

I went to that site about one hour ago to take some pictures but Army Military Police was reluctant for permitting pictures, to be taken they wanted me to get an a permit from higher authority.

First one which has a tall Coconut tree is owned by "PLATE" STUDIO Fonseka brothers. ALSO FONEEKA SISTERS.This first old building on that picture is still there and Army has their welfare society office on that building with a face lift still those walls are there with cement and Cabook wall arches.

AT&T Cable hut is not there, cables are cut by some old bottle traders. Army boys inform me that they go for a sea bath when the sea is not rough, they find those cut small endings surface during the tide is towards sea some months of the year.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Old Carts Collection - At Martin Wickramasinghe Museum, Koggala

dsc03075s.jpg

Negombo Buggy Cart (Meegamu Bakki Karaththaya)

dsc03079z.jpg

Hand Cart (Ath Karaththaya)

dsc03080ye.jpg

Bullock Cart with Canopy (Ambara Bara Karaththaya)

dsc03081jc.jpg

Buggy Cart (Bakki Karaththaya)

dsc03082vu.jpg

dsc03083dm.jpg

dsc03084fw.jpg

Leaf spring suspension system

dsc03085t.jpg

dsc03086m.jpg

Old Carts Collection (Continued)

Elephant Cart (Ali Karaththaya)

dsc03088m.jpg

dsc03089ir.jpg

Temple Trialcle (Bana Karaththaya)

dsc03090oa.jpg

Horse Carriage (Ashwa Karaththay)

dsc03091g.jpg

dsc03094ka.jpg

Racing Cart (Race Karaththaya / Race Thirikkalaya)

dsc03092d.jpg

Buggy Cart (Thirikkalaya)

dsc03093hz.jpg

Bullock Cart (Bara Karaththaya)

dsc03095k.jpg

Kerosene Oil Cart (Bhoomi Thel Karaththaya)

dsc03096n.jpg

What can i say the ladies love a guy with a MG T...anybody know where this is or who the people in the pic are?

rnW0n.jpg

BTW here's mine...I also have a TF

pxbFy.jpg

Would be interesting to see how that guy got all those ladies in to that car :D

MD, Is that a TC in your photo? The TF is quite a rare care especially in SL. Would love to have one

Would be interesting to see how that guy got all those ladies in to that car :D

MD, Is that a TC in your photo? The TF is quite a rare care especially in SL. Would love to have one

Yeah original TFs are pretty rare but not as rare as TCs and PAs.But the TF wins the beauty contest hands down and they're appreciating like crazy now.This one car which changed hands for 3 mil a few years back was up for sale for 6mil recently...

This is off topic, but since this topic is on about old Ceylon I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good trustworthy place that I can get a old book restored - 20th Century Impressions of Ceylon. It's a really old copy & has been neglected. Bugs, etc etc.

This is off topic, but since this topic is on about old Ceylon I wanted to know if anyone could recommend a good trustworthy place that I can get a old book restored - 20th Century Impressions of Ceylon. It's a really old copy & has been neglected. Bugs, etc etc.

There's a guy called Nihal who works at the National Archives...does this as a side business. I've had a lot of books in similar state fixed up by him and he does an excellent job, including printing new leather covers. Tried searching for his number but couldn't locate it; see if you can obtain it by calling the Archives. Will post it no sooner I locate it myself.

Hon. Anagarika Dharmapala's vehicle known as "Sobana Maaligawa"

image006.jpg

Later this vehicle is restored by Sri Lanka Army (only body restored, engine is missing). It was only few metal pieces when they start restoration project.

At restoration, all measurements were taken based on the height of Hon. Anagarika Dharmapala. There was a photo of Hon. Anagarika Dharmapala standing near the vehicle.

Don Carolis & Sons supplied all the wooden requirement for restoration. (Don Carolis & Sons belonged to Hon. Anagarika Dharmapala's father.)

After restoration I saw it at Nugegoda Naalandaramaya Temple, few years ago. Restoration was nicely done. (Don't know it is still there or not)

anagarika.jpg

After restoration

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

IF, as you say, the owners of the land are the people who own Plates, then they can't be THAT difficult to find, they still live in the houses behind the studio in Kolpity opposite Pilawoos.

Yes machan Sylvis post is correct, the Fonseka's are the one who own "Plates"