• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Historic Images Of Old Ceylon - Automotive And Otherwise

Sampath Gunasekera

Historic Colombo Fort & Delft Gate

Colombo Fort:

http://colombofort.com/fort.htm

Delft Gate (One of the main gates of Colombo Fort)

http://home.planet.nl/~krane127/ceylon/colombodelftgate.htm

Portuguese Map of Colombo (1518)

ft11thefirstfort.jpg

Portuguese Colombo

ft12portuguesecolombo.jpg

Colombo Map (1800)

ft21colomboin1800.jpg

Colombo Fort Plan

ft1colombofortgroundpla.jpg

Colombo Fort wall and Old Lighthouse (1860)

ft3colombofortandoldlig.jpg

Delft Gate

Detail from a painting by Steiger, showing the Delft Gate

ft6detailfromapaintingb.jpg

Delft Gate

ft7thispictureisofthede.jpg

Demolishing Fort wall for expanding the town (1865)

ft4demolitionofthedutch.jpg

Where is the Delft Gate now???

The Delft Gate around 1970.

ft9thedelftgatearound19.jpg

ft8thedelftgatearound19.jpg

• Like 1

1970s

701wi.jpg

1970s – Fort

702mt.jpg

Hi Sampath, Great thread. I'm big fan of old photos of sri lanka.

The photo's you have shared from 1970 are mostly from a person called Douglas Campbell who travelled Ceylon in 1973.

The whole photo set (484) can be viewed here.

The flickr page has more information about the photos. Enjoy.

Edited by kaju
  • Like 1

Here's a little contribution from me (being the armchair airline enthusiast I am)..

Had hundreds of these pics in my e-mails but I seem to have lost many....

Air Ceylon Douglas DC-8-53 Zurich Switzerland, June 1977

62531603qi0.jpg

Air Ceylon Douglas DC-8-53 Miami - International (MIA / KMIA) USA - Florida, May 1979

40846224lo5.jpg

Douglas DC-8-41 Singapore - Paya Lebar (QPG / WSAP), November 1976

w2dpw2.jpg

Air Ceylon HS-121

6qh1li.jpg

The same HS-121 getting scrapped

33m4qab.jpg

Air Ceylon DC-3 Dakota

s4575e.jpg

DC-4, 4-engine propeller aircraft

riawjt.jpg

The days when US Aircrafts used to fly to Ceylon... note that the advert says Ceylon is an 'important world center'

sl4qwj.jpg

'Maha Devi' the great goddess in the sky

31523gl.jpg

Another example of the importance of Ceylon as a world centre. The longest non-stop flight in the world, back in 1943 was between Australia and Ceylon. This was flown by the RAAF. They called it the 'double sunrise'. You can guess why.

t8x26h.jpg

• Like 5

Members,

There is a board of a Tram car service Tram stop stand from the last remaining memory, of good old Tram service at near Colombo side of grand pass road close to police station. Junction, to inform wait for the car. Will try to take a photo. It is inside the municipality road maintaining office. Upload same.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

TWA ad was from 1953 apparently. I guess the change of government in 1956 and subsequent wave of nationalism would have had some effect on the country's decline of international importance.

Edit: Wikipedia says TWA flew to colombo from 1953 to 1961

Edited by Crosswind

TWA ad was from 1953 apparently. I guess the change of government in 1956 and subsequent wave of nationalism would have had some effect on the country's decline of international importance.

Edit: Wikipedia says TWA flew to colombo from 1953 to 1961

'Crosswind',

I hope I am not OT because this TWA topic came up. I thought of posting this post with my past memories.

I remember Trans World Airlines Aircrafts landing at Colombo Air port Ratmalana good old days, they were propeller rotator engines Don’t think they had any jet engine aircrafts at that time.

Pleased to have your more comments.

I remember first jet landed in Air force base air strip in 1952 (Katunayaka) just before the Queen Elizabeth’s visit with British forces to find out safety of her visit to Ceylon if there was any security lapse how quick they can do all arrangement of her life threat.

I was a small boy, one senior officer was known to my late father who arrived on that Aircraft wrote to him, his arrival to our country.

We two were there to meet him he was a RACS Aircraft Technician in 1st WW, who had worked in Basra modern Iraq with my late father. That aircraft was here only for few hours and left to Australia.

We two were able to go and meet this old friend of my late father. Because my late father used to do maintenance work for their Electrical generators, of British forces at that time stationed in Katunayaka air base and he had an permit to visit there.

Later I used to do work for BOAC and Air Ceylon maintenance of their electrical units specially ground equipments.

Sylvi Wijesinghe,

• Like 3

I hope I am not OT because this TWA topic came up. I thought of posting this post with my past memories.

I remember Trans World Airlines Aircrafts landing at Colombo Air port Ratmalana good old days, they were propeller rotator engines Don’t think they had any jet engine aircrafts at that time.

Yes you got a good memory. A quick web-search revealed that the aircraft that flew to Colombo was a Lockheed Constellation (http://en.wikipedia....d_Constellation), which is a four-engined propeller aircraft. Must have been a very very long uncomfortable ride for its passengers.

Edit: Here's a timetable from 1955. TJ902 and 904 terminated in Colombo.

tw55-17.jpg

Edited by Crosswind

Yes you got a good memory. A quick web-search revealed that the aircraft that flew to Colombo was a Lockheed Constellation (http://en.wikipedia....d_Constellation), which is a four-engined propeller aircraft. Must have been a very very long uncomfortable ride for its passengers.

Edit: Here's a timetable from 1955. TJ902 and 904 terminated in Colombo.

tw55-17.jpg

Actually the "Connie's" as they were called were among the most advanced of the prop driven airliners and they were renowned for their comfort and smoothness from what I've heard. The early jets like the 707, Comet and DC8 were as loud if not louder than the prop airliners...

Echelon Square - Fort

(Don't get confused Old Echelon Military Barracks with Presidential Secretariat at present)

Galle Face from Fort Clock Tower – 1875. Echelon Barracks (Military Barracks) not build up yet.

ft13gallefacefromclockt.jpg

Galle Face from Fort Clock Tower – 1885 (Echelon Barracks built up )

Visit : http://en.wikipedia....chelon_Barracks

ft14gallefacefromclockt.jpg

Fort in1905

ft145fortin1905.jpg

Echelon Barracks - 1910

view-of-the-Echelon-Barrachs-1910.jpg

Colombo Fort in 1945 (Echelon Barracks)

ft15colombofortin1945.jpg

In 1965ft432queenstreetin1965.jpg

At present the World Trade Centre, Colombo stands in the Echelon Square, along with the head office of the Bank of Ceylon, Colombo Hilton and Hotel Galadari.

achelon.jpg

.................................................................................................................................................

An Aerial View of Colombo Fort

ft155anaerialviweofcolo.jpg

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera
  • Like 1

Galle Face Hotel and Old Colombo Club House (at Taj Samudra Hotel)

gallefacetoday.jpg

Galle Face in 1880

gf1gallefacein1880.jpg

The Galle Face Hotel, Colombo -1860

gf13thegallefacehotelco.jpg

The Galle Face Hotel

gf4thegallefacehotelcol.jpg

gf7thegallefacehotelcol.jpg

Colombo Club & Galle Face Hotel

1111oef.jpg

gf11galleface.jpg

gf12thecolomboclubandga.jpg

Colombo Club and Lake

gf13colomboclubandlake.jpg

gf14colomboclubandlake.jpg

• Like 1

Galle Face Hotel and Old Colombo Club House (at Taj Samudra Hotel)

Continued....

The Horse Races at Club Housegf16thehorseracesatgall.jpg

Club House from Galle Face Hotel End

gf17gallefacefromgallef.jpg

Galle Face

gf21gallefacecolombo.jpg

gf22gallefacecolombo.jpg

The Horse Races

gf24thehorseracesatgall.jpg

gf32gallefacefromgallef.jpg

State Council (Old Parliament)

gf34statecouncil.jpg

• Like 1

Belfry at Kayman's Gate , (Gas Pha Handiya) Pettha

(This is situated at beginning of the 4th Cross Street from Main Street , Pettah

(Very close to Old Town Hall, Pettah)

Main Street at Pettah (Colombo) was known as Koningsstraat (King’s Street) in Dutch times, and terminated at Kayman’s Gate. Kayman (Kaaiman) meant alligator, and the name was given to the gate as the crocodiles, which at that period were found in large numbers in the Beira Lake, were coming to this spot along St. John’s River to eat of the garbage thrown out by the city dwellers.

The Kayman’s Gate bell is said to date back to the sixteenth century, and to have originally hung in the Portuguese Church dedicated to Saint Francis, which once stood in the heart of the Royal City of Kotte. This city was abandoned in 1565 and became a howling wilderness. In Dutch times it was re-occupied. The bell, found amidst the ruins of palaces and temples and churches, was apparently removed in due course by the Dutch, and was set up on the Belfry at Kayman’s Gate.

pt9mainstreetandkymanga.jpg

pt10mainstreetandkymang.jpg

pt11mainstreetandkymang.jpg

pt12mainstreetandkymang.jpg

pt13mainstreetandkymang.jpg

Dear Friends,

I had some free time in the morning and uploaded photos and details as much as possible .

However I have to be busy with my next study project for coming 3 months. :sad-smiley-047:

I believe you all enjoyed the things I posted.

Hope guys will keep the thread alive.... :)

Cheers !!!

Galle Face Hotel and Old Colombo Club House presently at Taj Samudra Hotel

gallefacetoday.jpg

That's incorrect, that isn't where the Colombo Club is now. I dunno if it used to be the clubhouse, but that building is now Taj's Crystal Ballroom. Have an upper and lower ballroom in there. The Colombo Club is actually housed in the wing of the Taj just behind it now.

That's incorrect, that isn't where the Colombo Club is now. I dunno if it used to be the clubhouse, but that building is now Taj's Crystal Ballroom. Have an upper and lower ballroom in there. The Colombo Club is actually housed in the wing of the Taj just behind it now.

The building I marked was the Colombo Club at that time as per the records.

http://en.wikipedia....o_Club_building

http://www.island.lk/2009/05/11/L1.pdf

http://www.island.lk/2009/05/11/L2.pdf

Anyway, I revised the topic not to be mistaken . Thanks Peri.

Cover of a Gramophone Record - A great song - An interesting story behind the song (1973)

These were the members of Super Golden Chimes Music Group at that time (1973).
The person holding "Kaawadi" (Corrected) The person in the far left Mr. Sri Kantha Dassanayake (ex. drummer Super Golden Chimes) once met with an accident and got injured.
His father promised a "Bhara" to "Kataragama Devalaya" that if his son gets recover , he will being Clarence Wjewardene to Kataragama Devalaya and arrange to sing a devotional song there.
However his son well recovered and he brought Clarence and the group to Kataragam Devalaya at his own expense and Clarence walked there singing the "Kanda Surinduni" song specially composed for this purpose.

I have this Gramophone record cover for years with me , but I newer knew the interesting story behind, until it published in a newspaper recently.

kataragama1.jpg

kataragama2.jpg