• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Presenting My Vintage Corolla!

Jaliya48

You could rape these rolla's all you want and they still never let you down

for me, even the new corolla's i prefer the fielder versions over the sedans

I quite like the fielders too. for the dull and boring sedans they are based on those things have so much character especially when lowered and fitted with 16"s. I'd even go as far as saying a 2zz-ge engined fielder makes a very good choice for a one car household.

too bad they don't offer a hot version anymore

I quite like the fielders too. for the dull and boring sedans they are based on those things have so much character especially when lowered and fitted with 16"s. I'd even go as far as saying a 2zz-ge engined fielder makes a very good choice for a one car household.

too bad they don't offer a hot version anymore

Exactly, the fielder and the runx brings out the boring-ness out of the rolla's

Jadey is correct! The Toyota model names have nothing to do with flowers. I quote from Wikipedia (amongst other sources)

"The Crown was introduced in 1955, and Toyota subsequently used the "Crown" name as inspiration for their primary sedans, the Corolla which is Latin for "small crown", the Camry a phonetic transcription of the Japanese word kanmuri that means crown, and the Corona which is Spanish for crown."

This is interesting.

Don, may be you are correct. They named car models as Corolla, Corona due to “crown” meaning from different languages.

In flower anatomy ,

Corolla - Collective term for the petals of a flower – looks like a crown

CoronaA crown-shaped, funnel-shaped, or trumpet-shaped outgrowth or appendage of the perianth of certain flowers, such as the daffodil or the spider lily. Also called crown.

So Botanist might be using “crown” meaning in different languages to identify different layers of a flower look like a crown.

flowerparts.gif

This is the how "Corolla", "Corona" and "Carina" are related to Botanical Anatomy.

Please visit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_botanical_terms

(1) Corolla : collective term for the petals of a flower.

(2) Corona: corona (adjective: coronate) literally, crown

In flowering plants, ring of tissue arising from the corolla or perianth of a flower and standing between the perianth lobes and the stamens; e.g. the daffodil trumpet, passion-fruit.

(3) Carina: (adjective carinate) see keel

keel : a ridge like the keel of a boat, e.g. the structure formed by the fusion of the two anterior petals of a flower in the Fabaceae.

May be I am wrong, but as Jaliya said, I also felt that old corolla logo looks like "C" with 3 flowers. But may be it represents the crown. :rolleyes:

COROLLA1.jpg

Anyway,

“Jeewithe Mal , Corolla thiyenakal” ;)

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Haha some serious 'rolla wagon loving going here...ok here's my not so vintage Corrolla.We call it 'the whore',cos 4 men use her daily forcing her to take many loads and she does it all without a single complaint...I love this bitch!

SS0cCOz.jpg

K4dcfCa.jpg

We've got a Diesel wagon as well (CE106V). 272,000+km and not a single complaint from the old girl! It's an auto, unfortunately, so not fun to drive. It's going in for a tie rod replacement today.

In medical terminology carina is the place where your trachea (windpipe) bifurcates into the two principal bronchi carrying air to each lung. Common place for foreign bodies to get lodged

looked at quite a few old Carinas in my day and I can safely say there were quite a few forieng bodies lodged in them :D

• Like 1

I think jaliya's DX may be the best one in SL.You ara maintaining it well.Keep it up.Please don't sell a car like that.

Thanks Dinus! It will never be sold, even my father is impressed with the attention it gets when it's on the road!

A general update; I removed the original toolkit and gave it a much needed wash. It's torn in places so I'm patching them up as well. All tools are still present with the exception of the slip-joint pliers. I'm hunting an original TOYOTA example down as soon as possible.

I'll post a photo of the toolkit when time permits.

I removed the original toolkit and gave it a much needed wash. It's torn in places so I'm patching them up as well. All tools are still present with the exception of the slip-joint pliers. I'm hunting an original TOYOTA example down as soon as possible.

I'll post a photo of the toolkit when time permits.

Some people would call this being an@!!y retentive but i would call it love :) AWESOME !

I know! My family members think I'm wasting my time over some car, but I want every bit of it restored!

your family members and mine should never ever meet!

massive respect for going to that detail. i thought i was being anally retentive when i hunted down the type R badge that goes under the handbrake lever!

could have bought one from pettah for 5 rs but noooooo

your family members and mine should never ever meet!

massive respect for going to that detail. i thought i was being anally retentive when i hunted down the type R badge that goes under the handbrake lever!

could have bought one from pettah for 5 rs but noooooo

:sport-smiley-004: details matter...alot! I'm on the lookout for two similar wheel caps as the front wheel caps are squashed/bent. I keep an eye out on every visit to Panchikawatte but I didn't find one in good condition yet. I've already got the 4 speed shifter pattern redone on Photoshop as well, I'll be visiting Anim8 very soon!

I won't be surprised if you still had the original Toyota AM radio from the eighties still stuck away somewhere...I can't remember what the cassette/radio combo was that came with the 70 vans ? A lot of the 80 series sedans came with varied units by Panasonic, Sony, etc.. (depending on what the buyer ordered at the dealership i guess) with Toyota stamped on them, but for the life of me can't recollect any cassette/radio combos that came with 70 series vans...not even on the GLs..

I won't be surprised if you still had the original Toyota AM radio from the eighties still stuck away somewhere...I can't remember what the cassette/radio combo was that came with the 70 vans ? A lot of the 80 series sedans came with varied units by Panasonic, Sony, etc.. (depending on what the buyer ordered at the dealership i guess) with Toyota stamped on them, but for the life of me can't recollect any cassette/radio combos that came with 70 series vans...not even on the GLs..

I had the original AM radio unit till 2011 when my father gave it away to a friend of his who was restoring his VW bug! I had it hidden but it was found and given away. I'm tempted to bring it back from the current owner if he hasn't used it on his car yet though. The GLs had a AM/FM radio similar to mine, but the FM range is upto 90MHz only. These have two knobs labeled Tone and Volume. The wagons and vans weren't equipped with cassette players, to my knowledge.

I was seriously considering bringing down a US market AM/FM radio and fixing it up, but doing so presents two problems; one is that they were for LHD cars so the knobs are on the left side (as opposed to right on JDM cars) and the other factor is the price and rarity. The only positive is that the FM range goes all the way to 107MHz so it's functional and usable!

EDIT: I almost forgot, these were manufactured by Fujitsu, but you won't find that name anywhere on the radio set! It's on a sticker on the top of the unit.

Edited by Jaliya48

I know the GLs came with a cassette player as an option...but I can't remember what the unit was like. As for the radio due ot the rarity it might be worth it even if you buy a different OEM and swap that with what was given to the VW :)...I will be back in Japan in May...could always check around for some old radios and knick knacks and let you know what I might come up with <helping someone is a good excuse for me to play around in some old garages without wifey getting mad :)>

On a separate note..bumped in to this listing...not sure how current the listing is..but it has only 35000kms ! and one owner !

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU1503398535/index.html

Edited by iRage

I know the GLs came with a cassette player as an option...but I can't remember what the unit was like. As for the radio due ot the rarity it might be worth it even if you buy a different OEM and swap that with what was given to the VW :)...I will be back in Japan in May...could always check around for some old radios and knick knacks and let you know what I might come up with <helping someone is a good excuse for me to play around in some old garages without wifey getting mad :)>

On a separate note..bumped in to this listing...not sure how current the listing is..but it has only 35000kms ! and one owner !

http://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/detail/CU1503398535/index.html

Ah yes, the 'minter'! I came across this sometime back and saved all the photos. The interior is in excellent condition and the parking lamp lenses haven't discoloured either. My parking lenses have turned a dark blackish colour but I'm going to try Davy's sanding trick on them to see if it improves. The radio unit visible in this car is the AM unit which I had originally. It would be great if you could locate an OEM unit from Japan!

If only we could import cars of this vintage now! :smilie_liebe9:

Edited by Jaliya48

Yes it is in excellent condition, not even the rubber mats and seats have any kind of wear....he probably stored it indoors/covered and all sorts of stuff. Wonder why he decided to get rid of it. Once came across a 80s Laurel like that..it ws being sold for almost scrap value by the owner's son-in-law after his death. Some people have no idea...

If only we could import cars of this vintage now! :smilie_liebe9:

What is defined as a classic car in technical terms by import control ? I wrote to the classic car association about bringing down classic cars to SL but never heard back from them.

iRage, I don't know about the minimum age for a vintage import, but I doubt this KE will make it as it's 27 years old. (assuming that this was one of the last examples produced in 1986) My car still has those "C" mats, but they're a bit worse for wear. Mine has a different pattern though; it's black with the "COROLLA" detail in yellow. Till recently (early 2000s I think) I had the tiny mat that sits on top of the transmission 'hump' as well, but it has since passed on! I honestly wish that car goes to an enthusiast and not some 'ricer' who would change the rims and swap the 4K for a 4AGE. (not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are plenty of 'seasoned' examples out there in Japan for that sort of treatment!)

A minor update on my Ksev; I gave the passenger seat a good scrub today, it looks much better now. More photos will follow as soon as I finish all seats. The half seat covers will be patched up and washed as well. I actually located several sets of these on YJapan, but none have the pattern I want on them.

iRage, I don't know about the minimum age for a vintage import, but I doubt this KE will make it as it's 27 years old. (assuming that this was one of the last examples produced in 1986)

Just that sometimes when you see examples like that at throw away prices it is too tempting to buy it and just leave it in storage for a few years :( I wrote to the classic car guys because I was almost tempted with a 84 Carina GT...but then "wife" happened to it...

Just that sometimes when you see examples like that at throw away prices it is too tempting to buy it and just leave it in storage for a few years :( I wrote to the classic car guys because I was almost tempted with a 84 Carina GT...but then "wife" happened to it...

Wow, a Carina GT? You really should have! Was this in Japan?

Here's a photo update-

The tool kit, after being washed, scrubbed and patched-up (to the best of my ability!)

DSCF1699m_zpsccda7370.jpg

DSCF1701m_zps45c4035c.jpg

The patched up bits-

DSCF1700m_zps11bcaed6.jpg

Managed to find a TOYOTA slip-joint pliers from 'waththe as well! :sport-smiley-004:

DSCF1706m_zpsa30c0fb6.jpg

The 'horde'!

DSCF1708m_zps0c2223bc.jpg

DSCF1709m_zps5fb72bdb.jpg

Looks like I have everything too!

G4_MT0974%20.gif

But my little toolkit fails in comparison to the absolutely EPIC toolkit issued with the FJ40s back in the day!

7420041230_233188b588.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

Whatever happened to you, TOYOTA?!

7420002480_6d2c9a1ee0.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_

WOW! :speechless-smiley-020:

EDIT: I just read that the owner of the above tool kit was informed by a FJ40 historian that this particular kit was something put together by a FJ40 owner! Double wow!

Regards.

Edited by Jaliya48