• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Presenting My Vintage Corolla!

Jaliya48

Yup, looking for both lenses. I was told to check the Delkanda area so might go hunting one day!

I was in the kandy road earlier this week and noticed several places along the way had parts for older Japs, I'm fairly certain I saw some KE tail lights as well. Unfortunately was in a bit of a rush so couldn't stop and check properly but next time I'm headed that way I'll check for sure.

Kandy Members? Any clues to a specific place Jay can find lights?

Great pics by the way machan...

I know! I tried the usual kerosene and a rag but some stains were still there. What can I use?

I suggest that you do not use kerosene (at least on the rubber bits) because kerosene can degrade rubber. Try diesel instead. For even better results, It would be ideal if you can go for an engine degreaser.

But from your photos, I see that there's more rust than oil and grease, so you can for exaple paint your air filter housing, the cutout (mounted onto the passenger side engine bay wall) and replace the those rusted hose clips as well. It's all about detail on these engines, so even getting rid of the smallest bit of rust counts.

As for the engine bay wall, you can try some rubbing compound or brasso to bring back that white again.

Try this thread as well:

http://forum.autolan...urfce-cleaning/

I'm open to any suggestions on the availability of parts, so keep them coming!

I just did a quick eBay search and found 2 left and right lenses, but it was the model with the silver rim around the lens. You should be able to find the lenses from here though. If I see them somewhere, you'll be the first to know. :)

Edited by Davy

Hi,

Found this in an old photo album. Here's my KE72V in her prime!

Yours truly is on the left...

Three happy faces... :)

Probably the only thing that still looks the same from that photo is the car (except for the number plate).

Dam, this car is so bloody clean! Nice to see one like this in Sri Lanka. But I would really like it for you to do this to yours! :D

NO.... NO.... NO.... For the sake of god.. Please don't.

• Like 1

Three happy faces... :)

Probably the only thing that still looks the same from that photo is the car (except for the number plate).

:medium-smiley-037: ...minus the driver seat headrest cover. I thought of getting a new black 'Sri' plate made to resemble the original this had. I've found a place in Mount Lavinia and might drop in to know how much it would cost. Of course, these come with chrome/metal coloured numbers whereas the original had white.

Edited by Jaliya48

Spotted this yesterday at a uni car park. Very very rare site over here. :) Dont know whether the rear glasses are genuine?

Pardon the crappy phone pic quality though.

imag0199ie.jpg

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

Great car there mate. Kudos to you.

A proposal to the moderators: how about we dedicate a separate tread only to share pics of members automobiles (minus any text), From Morris Minors to Corolla's to Beemers. It'll be great to see the vast array of automobiles used by our AL members in all Continents.

Back in the day I remember how members use to share pics of their rides but it happens so damn rare now a days. For Example, MD's classics, Devinda's Z, Watchman's Gemini, Ripper's Ranger, VVTi's Alfa, Perri's VZR, SN's Jeep, Mini's Mini, JD's Tribute just to name a few.

The Honda guys already tried that. Not many takers. Too many people on AL seem to prefer being anonymous.

I'm not against it, but I think it won't really get off the ground.

Plus DevakaC is welcome to open a thread and try it, and see if he can encourage members to share pictures of their rides......

Nice link for all Corolla enthusiasts...

Time-line of Corolla History

http://www.toyota-gl...n/timeline.html

Thanks! It's interesting to note that Toyota dropped their commercial van & wagon after the XE100 series. These are real workhorses! Of course, they've given us the 'Probox'...

@Mr Cat: I've seen some Australian models with that rear window design. These were called 'panelvans'.

Edited by Jaliya48

• 2 weeks later...

Look at what I picked up in Panchikawatte!

DSCF1438mm.jpg

DSCF1439m.jpg

Compared to the original lens and frame-

DSCF1441mm.jpg

These are aftermarket lenses for the KE72V. They're decent for the price, but I'm supposed to remove the original lenses from the old frames and then glue these on. I tried removing the right original lens, but it's not that easy!
I'll be spraying the new lenses with two coats of clearcoat and then a good coat of carnaouba wax before I install it. Don't want the amber to fade!

What do you think?!

Edited by Jaliya48

Hope new light covers would give a better look to your car. Also try to repair the old original light cover. I have seen nicely repaired rear light cover of a Daihatsu Naked. As per the photo, your light cover is easy to repair as the broken part is almost a square. If you need, I'll check with Daihatsu Naked owner and let you know the place he got the job done nicely.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

@Jadey: Thanks. I held a hair drier (the only source of heat I could find at home!) and broke some of the epoxy around the amber marker. I haven't got an oven at home so I'll take both lenses to a friend's and get it done. I've got to prepare the new lenses though.

@Sampath: The original lens was repaired with another orange piece but that faded to almost white. I've removed it now and will attempt to repair it again. The bottom red lens will be kept as a 'spare' after I remove it.

I'll keep this thread updated once I fix the new lenses!

Yesterday I saw a Toyota Corolla KE72 or KE74 (same as Jaliya's one) with "GM-XXXX" number plates. :speechless-smiley-003:

Perhaps a ex-diplomatic or an armed forces/customs auctioned car. SOME ex-diplomatic/armed forces vehicles were given G-series plates during 2001 or so, because some random bloke in RMV had a brainwave.

Edited by Crosswind