• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Presenting My Vintage Corolla!

Jaliya48

so you have rear struts? awesome. that car sits very well. we had a 72. the rear leaves didn't give it that look, sadly

no komi i too got leaf springs at the back...Ke waongs never came with struts for rear i guess....and as i know most of the Ke wagons comes with 12 size rims but this came with 13 size and the rims that i have fitted is 14 :D thats why it sits like that...

@ke 70, damn that's a clean car. Props to your father and yourself for the effort!

I'm not sure if I love or dislike the wheels though.

@Jaliya, did you take some proper shots of yours? Or did I miss it?

I have photos, but they're far from 'proper' unfortunately! :) It's on page 07. I've some more updated photos that haven't been uploaded yet, will do it this weekend. These have the redone half-seat covers, new toolkit and all that! :sport-smiley-004:

@KE70; yes, we have rear leaves on our wagons. If you really want to adjust the height, I've read that you can place 'lowering blocks' and reset the leaves. I wasn't interested because mine still "earns her keep" by transporting goods (although very occasionally!)

Edited by Jaliya48

Hoo hoo Sampath athae maattu! Ha ha ha

Malli, Api kaatada baya? Apita kawuda baya? ;) Ha Ha Ha (If you see the car you will do the same)

here you go guys :) i wil get some interior pics and post it here..current mileage is 160k i was amazed to here Jaliya got only 140k

@Ke70, what is that additional red lamp on back door? Is gear shifting pattern is same as RHD? So many silly questions to ask.

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

Malli, Api kaatada baya? Apita kawuda baya? ;) Ha Ha Ha (If you see the car you will do the same)

@Ke70, what is that additional red lamp on back door? Is gear shifting pattern is same as RHD? So many silly questions to ask.

:) well the rear lamp on the back door is the fog light :) its not any use here its for high fog u get in belgium also known as (snow light) it works from a switch on the dash board right next to the choke..so now we have wired it to breaks but the orginal switch is still there on the dash

and ya the gear movements are same as a RHD :) once u get used to shifting gears from your right hand you can manage i guess :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Dear pros,

Autolanka had been a great place get those needful info all these years. Appreciate all the members.

Now I am planning to restore my 30 yr old KE74 to its first looks, I mean to its original looks. Its been for a year with me. I have ordered a heynes manual for this car. It's on the way. Planning to use it for mainly mechnical repairs. In the mean time I am planning to get the body work done. She has some rust spots. what I am worried about is for those rust around the windscreen and the tailgate. Got plans to replace the windscreen. The windscreen is a nightmare when driving at night.

I plan to do the following

1. Body derust and paint (tinkering and paint)+ undercoat- I am looking for a place at the moment if u konw a place pls suggest

2. I have some rust (worn down) on the frame (chassy) only in one place. Its near the engine mount. Want to repair it as well. wellcome your suggessions how to repair this part.

3. Mechanical repairs - I think I'll be able to manage

4. Interior - I am looking for a place to restore to its original looks. Guys if you could suggest me a place I'll greatly appreciate.

This is my first restoring project. Hope you'll add your cents and rupees for this.

Thanks a lot guys

Dear pros,

Autolanka had been a great place get those needful info all these years. Appreciate all the members.

Now I am planning to restore my 30 yr old KE74 to its first looks, I mean to its original looks. Its been for a year with me. I have ordered a heynes manual for this car. It's on the way. Planning to use it for mainly mechnical repairs. In the mean time I am planning to get the body work done. She has some rust spots. what I am worried about is for those rust around the windscreen and the tailgate. Got plans to replace the windscreen. The windscreen is a nightmare when driving at night.

I plan to do the following

1. Body derust and paint (tinkering and paint)+ undercoat- I am looking for a place at the moment if u konw a place pls suggest

2. I have some rust (worn down) on the frame (chassy) only in one place. Its near the engine mount. Want to repair it as well. wellcome your suggessions how to repair this part.

3. Mechanical repairs - I think I'll be able to manage

4. Interior - I am looking for a place to restore to its original looks. Guys if you could suggest me a place I'll greatly appreciate.

This is my first restoring project. Hope you'll add your cents and rupees for this.

Thanks a lot guys

I too did a restoration for a KE72. I'm not sure if its ok to mention the exact names of garages that i did it. Admin please remove the names if its against the policy.

So here is my story. I did my restoration at Mithila garage in Narahenpita. Its near Police hospital , NLDB, Railway crossing. So here's the summery. The car was fully dissembled for this process including engine, seats, light fittings, etc..

1. Engine was send to Edirisingha brothers for overhaul (bcos i requested to get it done as this car ran on LPG for couple of years which was converted by Laughs and i wanted a complete restoration job after disconnecting the LPG system. I would never use LPG again and won't recommend to any one who loves their car).

1.1 Rest of the mechanical checks and repairs was done by the garage itself but the master brake pump repair was done by some place in Panchikawatta, but all the coordination was done by the garage.

2. Complete paint job was done by the garage and they have a paint booth. Existing paint was removed to the metal and paint job started from zero. I applied the same color which was in the registration but only difference was it was metallic paint.

3. During this time i was shopping for new light fittings including headlights, tail lamps, new led lights for dashboard, new door locks, central locking system, security system. Also i didn't like the existing 155/R12 tires and rims so i found a decent looking alloy set and 175/r13 tires (Brand new). If you are searching for alloys make sure you buy alloys that can be fixed without spacers. Rear tires wont be a issue check with front tires. But remember since KE72 does not have power steering more the grip tire gets harder it get to turn at still. Not much of a problem while driving.

3.1 I changed the original sealed beam head lights to 100w H4 halogen headlights. As it requires lot of current i had to use a 60amp battery and changed the alternator.

3.2 I was able to find almost all light fittings new except for the lights inside front bumper & reverse lights. So existing ones were used after thorough cleaning.

3.3 For rear speakers i removed the original hardboard and fixed a wooden board which is modified to look 'almost' same as the original hardboard.

3.4 I already had a good single din setup so didn't do any change for that. Also kept the original AM receiver as it is because i couldn't think of anything to do in that place. But i did re-wiring for all speakers at Pet#o Lanka because they fix the setup in the first place, so i went to them again.

3.5 Central locking and Security system was fixed at SunLanka. Before that i installed new locks to 2 doors, boot lock, ignition key.

4. For seat covers and upholstery work the garage hired another person who came to the garage and complete it.

-- But if you can take it to Goonawardana cushion works it will be better, all my other cars was taken to Goonawardana cushion works Wijerama. They did awesome job for cushion works and complete carpet jobs.

5. For electrical re-wiring the car was taken to a near by place for re-wiring.

6. Suspension testing and adjustment, Brake test, head light alignment was done at Nalaka wheel alignment.

7. When it comes to A/C most parts were replaced but kept the existing compressor because i didn't find a matching new one. A/C task was done at Frostair.

8. Engine tuneup was done by Mr Dhammika.

9. For complete cleaning job the car was taken to Cleen park.

10. I did a window tint from Mag city but i don't recommend that as the tint color changed after few years. I wouldn't recommend anything more than 3M Chrystaline tint. Its the best i've ever used. (But i didn't change the tint on KE72 to 3M).

This is at highlevel what i did on my KE72 restoration project.. Hope this helps to start your project.

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 1

I too did a restoration for a KE72. I'm not sure if its ok to mention the exact names of garages that i did it. Admin please remove the names if its against the policy.

So here is my story. I did my restoration at Mithila garage in Narahenpita. Its near Police hospital , NLDB, Railway crossing. So here's the summery. The car was fully dissembled for this process including engine, seats, light fittings, etc..

1. Engine was send to Edirisingha brothers for overhaul (bcos i requested to get it done as this car ran on LPG for couple of years which was converted by Laughs and i wanted a complete restoration job after disconnecting the LPG system. I would never use LPG again and won't recommend to any one who loves their car).

1.1 Rest of the mechanical checks and repairs was done by the garage itself but the master brake pump repair was done by some place in Panchikawatta, but all the coordination was done by the garage.

2. Complete paint job was done by the garage and they have a paint booth. Existing paint was removed to the metal and paint job started from zero. I applied the same color which was in the registration but only difference was it was metallic paint.

3. During this time i was shopping for new light fittings including headlights, tail lamps, new led lights for dashboard, new door locks, central locking system, security system. Also i didn't like the existing 155/R12 tires and rims so i found a decent looking alloy set and 175/r13 tires (Brand new). If you are searching for alloys make sure you buy alloys that can be fixed without spacers. Rear tires wont be a issue check with front tires. But remember since KE72 does not have power steering more the grip tire gets harder it get to turn at still. Not much of a problem while driving.

3.1 I changed the original sealed beam head lights to 100w H4 halogen headlights. As it requires lot of current i had to use a 60amp battery and changed the alternator.

3.2 I was able to find almost all light fittings new except for the lights inside front bumper & reverse lights. So existing ones were used after thorough cleaning.

3.3 For rear speakers i removed the original hardboard and fixed a wooden board which is modified to look 'almost' same as the original hardboard.

3.4 I already had a good single din setup so didn't do any change for that. Also kept the original AM receiver as it is because i couldn't think of anything to do in that place. But i did re-wiring for all speakers at Pet#o Lanka because they fix the setup in the first place, so i went to them again.

3.5 Central locking and Security system was fixed at SunLanka. Before that i installed new locks to 2 doors, boot lock, ignition key.

4. For seat covers and upholstery work the garage hired another person who came to the garage and complete it.

-- But if you can take it to Goonawardana cushion works it will be better, all my other cars was taken to Goonawardana cushion works Wijerama. They did awesome job for cushion works and complete carpet jobs.

6. Suspension testing and adjustment, Brake test, head light alignment was done at Nalaka wheel alignment.

7. When it comes to A/C most parts were replaced but kept the existing compressor because i didn't find a matching new one. A/C task was done at Frostair.

10. I did a window tint from Mag city but i don't recommend that as the tint color changed after few years. I wouldn't recommend anything more than 3M Chrystaline tint. Its the best i've ever used. (But i didn't change the tint on KE72 to 3M).

This is at highlevel what i did on my KE72 restoration project.. Hope this helps to start your project.

Would love to see some pics of your restore :smilie_liebe9:

On 1/14/2015 at 9:25 PM, tiv said:
Would love to see some pics of your restore :smilie_liebe9:

I only found 2 pics since i'm out of country at the moment. There were more pics at home when it was newly restored.. :( Also i hide reg plate and face since i uploaded in a photobucket.

DSC02572_zpsd84ebd63.jpg

Edited by kmeeg

Big thank you kmeeg for sharing. I am looking to restore to its original specs when she was built. I would like to know when you did the restoring and how much you spent for the restore? This will help to have an idea how much i have to spend. Happy thai pongal

I only found 2 pics since i'm out of country at the moment. There were more pics at home when it was newly restored.. :( Also i hide reg plate and face since i uploaded in a photobucket.

DSC02572_zpsd84ebd63.jpg

DSC02602_zps2cf2afbc.jpg

Awesome. I thought those wagons came only in white

Awesome. I thought those wagons came only in white

Nope....most of tem came in white and the colored ones were a bit higher in price due to its rarity.Off the top of my head the colors were white, a navy/dark blue, apple green, red, silver and yellow. I remember a lot of car importers imported white ones and did shoddy paint jobs to get a higher price :). So finding a factory spec colored vehicle is quite hard.

Big thank you kmeeg for sharing. I am looking to restore to its original specs when she was built. I would like to know when you did the restoring and how much you spent for the restore? This will help to have an idea how much i have to spend. Happy thai pongal

It would be an awesome project to restore is to the original specs and love to see a original spec KE74. As of now i can give you below amounts to closest 1K and these amounts are as of end 2008 / early 2009.

Fixing rust work & aligning stuff - 49K

Paint job from scratch to metal - 69K

A/C work - 22K

New Locks/ Central locking / Security System - 15K

New alloys + tires (after 8K deduction for existing tires & rims) - 42K

Mag city tint - 3K

Let me check if i could find amounts for other tasks. But not sure..

<Updated Jan 16>

crank shaft check & grind , re-bore block, repair pulley oil seal seat, crank sleeve check, reface engine head, align con rods, piston check, one set piston rings , spares , service charge- 12,980 + 13,390 + 45,410

Edited by kmeeg

DSC02602_zps2cf2afbc.jpg

My eyes were stuck. :)

Great work mate. Congrats !!!

As far as I remember nickel door handles originally came for flat roof (low roof) version only. Am I correct?

Nope....most of tem came in white and the colored ones were a bit higher in price due to its rarity.Off the top of my head the colors were white, a navy/dark blue, apple green, red, silver and yellow. I remember a lot of car importers imported white ones and did shoddy paint jobs to get a higher price :). So finding a factory spec colored vehicle is quite hard.

Yes iRage, you are correct.

Our KE72 was in metallic dark blue colour when we purchased from car sale and paint at door arches started to peel off at very first service. It clearly showed that original colour was white, :)

I remember once Silvy mentioned that applying new paint coat, installing a new tire set and new battery convert the car in to "Reconditioned" in those days and our one confirmed the Sylivi's statement.

My eyes were stuck. :)

Great work mate. Congrats !!!

As far as I remember nickel door handles originally came for flat roof (low roof) version only. Am I correct?

Thank you Sampath.. :)

But to be honest i'm really have no idea about the nickel door handles. But i've seen those on 14 sri and 15 sri ones. Also to add more i've seen mirror on door too and they looks original.

To add more this one (18 - ) and my friends car (15 sri) both had original 12inch tires with black small caps but my uncles (17 - ) came with 165/80/R13 rims original with full wheel covers. BTW all these 3 cars came with black door handles.

I know when can discuss about each and every part because i'm seen lot of differences comparing each KE72.. :speechless-smiley-004:

The nickel door handles came with the KE70 sedan and van and then later on the KE72 flat roof. The door mirrors came in the KE73G which is the wagon version. Not sure if it was available as an option or it if was available only for the higher grade (GL) of the wagon. Never seen full hub covers for a KE72 and I cannot recollect seeing it as an option in any of the catalogs etc...so it might have been something that a dealer/owner/seller in Japan put on or something (perhaps from a KE7x sedan ?).

The nickel door handles came with the KE70 sedan and van and then later on the KE72 flat roof. The door mirrors came in the KE73G which is the wagon version. Not sure if it was available as an option or it if was available only for the higher grade (GL) of the wagon. Never seen full hub covers for a KE72 and I cannot recollect seeing it as an option in any of the catalogs etc...so it might have been something that a dealer/owner/seller in Japan put on or something (perhaps from a KE7x sedan ?).

Thanks iRage. :)

Do you have any link for full JDM catalog for KE72/74?. (I remember there was a link but it didn't give very clear catalog. (Sorry if I am repeating the same question in the forum)

Seems many variants in the family.

7088270009_large.jpg

Sorry i dont have links to any catalogs. Maybe Jaliya or Sampath can help.

Actually it doesn't have that many variants. It came as either van (business vehicle) or wagon (passenger vehicle). Vans came in either 3-door or 5-door form. Wagon only came in 5-door. Right most column is the first KE72 range with the low roof(1981/82 - 1983ish); left most column is firsversion of the mid roof andthe middle the last version of it. Most ppl make it too complicated as they try to strictly bind dealer/manufacturer accessories and options in to strict gradings. That doesn't work nowand didnt work back thenas these packaged options offered would change with time and dealership line.

It would be an awesome project to restore is to the original specs and love to see a original spec KE74. As of now i can give you below amounts to closest 1K and these amounts are as of end 2008 / early 2009.

Fixing rust work & aligning stuff - 49K

Paint job from scratch to metal - 69K

A/C work - 22K

New Locks/ Central locking / Security System - 15K

New alloys + tires (after 8K deduction for existing tires & rims) - 42K

Mag city tint - 3K

Let me check if i could find amounts for other tasks. But not sure..

Thanks very much. Tmrw i'm going to replace the core of the radiator with a new one. will cost me 15k. I think it's a fair price. Tends to overheat on speeds close to 100 km/h. I don't want blow my engine on the highway. :action-smiley-028: