• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Kdh200 Van Buying Information

C_J

Question

Hi,

Once again I'm looking for all you well experienced members' advice and guidance.

I need to know everything that I should consider when buying a KDH200 van.

Pros & cons and anything in between, your experience with this vehicle etc.

Hope to be informed a lot :)

Thank you all,

your tips gonna help change my life style!!!

• Like 1

22 answers to this question

Hi,

Once again I'm looking for all you well experienced members' advice and guidance.

I need to know everything that I should consider when buying a KDH200 van.

Pros & cons and anything in between, your experience with this vehicle etc.

Hope to be informed a lot :)

Thank you all,

your tips gonna help change my life style!!!

Firstly, are you looking at a KDH200 series short wheelbase or are you looking at the mid roof and high roof wide models as well?

Assuming you're only looking at the short wheelbase, there are two types of engine that you'll find; the 2.5Litre 2KD-FTV motor or the 3.0 Litre 1KD-FTV. Both are common rail injected, intercooled turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engines. Which means they are a lot more complicated than the old 3L and 5L motors that did such good service in the "Dolphin" model Hiaces. Being Toyotas they will be quite reliable as long as they are well maintained. Its probably best for the long term health of the engine to use Super Diesel. Anyway, the 3.0 Litre version is getting a bit of a reputation for injector issues and such which the 2.5l seems to have avoided.

http://en.wikipedia....oyota_KD_engine

Don't expect either of these engines to last as long as the old 3L and 5L though. While those could do 250-300k or more if they were properly run, the new engines seem to get tired by about 150k going by what i've seen with the diesel Prados that run the 3.0 Litre version.

Toyota lanka DID import a few 200 series Hiaces with the old 5L motor though (the model code was LH200 i think). If you can find one of those it'll probably be a good one for the long haul.

Trim levels are usually DX, GL and Super GL. DX is the most basic of course and there's more kit as you go up in the range. Lots of the vans imported by sales have a lot of custom kit fitted in whatever country they were imported from.

There is also an All wheel drive version with full time 4WD.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Hi

I use the hiace new model, both the petrol & diesel versions as well, Like what supra said i too face problems with the engine being underpowered due to the clogging of the injector using normal diesel (2.5L). But I dont have any issues with the petrol version of the van 2 litre engine, it has enough power to go with a good load as well. One way its better to use petrol hiace comparing the fuel value to the diesel hiace, maintenance & service, etc... Even i too feel that its not reliable as the old hiaces engines.

Super Diesel - 147

Petrol 90 Octane - 149

Firstly, are you looking at a KDH200 series short wheelbase or are you looking at the mid roof and high roof wide models as well?

Assuming you're only looking at the short wheelbase, there are two types of engine that you'll find; the 2.5Litre 2KD-FTV motor or the 3.0 Litre 1KD-FTV. Both are common rail injected, intercooled turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel engines. Which means they are a lot more complicated than the old 3L and 5L motors that did such good service in the "Dolphin" model Hiaces. Being Toyotas they will be quite reliable as long as they are well maintained. Its probably best for the long term health of the engine to use Super Diesel. Anyway, the 3.0 Litre version is getting a bit of a reputation for injector issues and such which the 2.5l seems to have avoided.

http://en.wikipedia....oyota_KD_engine

Don't expect either of these engines to last as long as the old 3L and 5L though. While those could do 250-300k or more if they were properly run, the new engines seem to get tired by about 150k going by what i've seen with the diesel Prados that run the 3.0 Litre version.

Toyota lanka DID import a few 200 series Hiaces with the old 5L motor though (the model code was LH200 i think). If you can find one of those it'll probably be a good one for the long haul.

Trim levels are usually DX, GL and Super GL. DX is the most basic of course and there's more kit as you go up in the range. Lots of the vans imported by sales have a lot of custom kit fitted in whatever country they were imported from.

There is also an All wheel drive version with full time 4WD.

You partly correct and partly wrong

first of all to start with KDH200 only comes as short wheel and short wheel high roof, the wide model is know as KDH211 and Super Long Wide is known as KD221 and KDH22

secondly KDH200 only comes with the 2KD-FTV its the KDH201 that comes with 1KD-FTV

The all wheel drive versions are known KDH205(2KD-FTV) and KDH206(1KD-FTV)

Finally you cant import both KDH200 and KDH205 because they stopped producing both after 2009. bdw if you live in a hilly area i highly recommend the all wheel drive version cuz the new Hiace seems to have a spanning traction problem when going up hills. oh and the all wheel drive system turns off once you shift to second gear and the vehicle works as rear wheel drive after that

• Like 1

first of all to start with KDH200 only comes as short wheel and short wheel high roof, the wide model is know as KDH211 and Super Long Wide is known as KD221 and KDH22

secondly KDH200 only comes with the 2KD-FTV its the KDH201 that comes with 1KD-FTV

Finally you cant import both KDH200 and KDH205 because they stopped producing both after 2009. bdw if you live in a hilly area i highly recommend the all wheel drive version cuz the new Hiace seems to have a spanning traction problem when going up hills. oh and the all wheel drive system turns off once you shift to second gear and the vehicle works as rear wheel drive after that

Thanks for the clarification, I used "KDH200" as a general indicator of the entire series of vans, since the OP hadn't specified which specific model he was after.

Thanks for the clarification, I used "KDH200" as a general indicator of the entire series of vans, since the OP hadn't specified which specific model he was after.

so basically you were talking about the KDH series? alright

KDH200 stopped production in 2007/07. :)

• Confused 1

Thank you all for valuable information.

Actually I haven't still decided on a model, but I'm thinking of a mid roof, long wheelbase van, not sure if it is available like that.

Thank you all for valuable information.

Actually I haven't still decided on a model, but I'm thinking of a mid roof, long wheelbase van, not sure if it is available like that.

No dude it isnt available in mid roof - long wheel base, its available in mid roof - short wheel base. but according to my view, mid roof doesn't hold a big market & it never came to the country as much as the flat roof - short wheel base.

Hi C_J,

The most comfortable option of the lot is the TRH 214 (Petrol 2.7 VVTi) which comes as a 9 passenger with 3 point seat belts etc. This is a semi high roof wide bodied LWB (220 Series goes as Super LWB) and rides like the older Grand Cabin G even with leaf springs at the rear. This model is not very common due to cost and the 2 year import window compared to the dual purpose or the 15 seaters having a 4 year window. I haven't seen the original diesel TRH 214 equivalents here but quite a few dual purpose super customs of the 210 series.

The most durable option as Supra pointed out is the LH202 or the LH 222 with the 5L-E imported B.New by the agents. TRH 200 (Petrol) and the 2.5 litre recons are the options 2 and 3. There is a market aversion to the 201 (1KD) and the 205/6 (4WD) with the repair and replacement concerns so they will obviously have slightly lower 2nd hand values. But I'm guessing that the 200 series will be less sought after than the older generations as they grow older with the fuel/ sensor related issues down the line.

The original Denso A/C unit and the seats sets are available in the market and the suspension (meant to carry Cargo) needs modification for passenger travel. So you have a range of options to work with starting from a TRH/ KDH200/1/5/6 DX. I would recommend the KDH 200 in terms of running costs and re-sale. A super custom if the price difference is not too great.

Keep in mind that these things are almost never available in Japan with under 100k on the clock (and most have over 200k) and it is quite difficult to pickout signs after 're-conditioning' ;)

PM me if you need any specific info.

• Like 3

KDH200 stopped production in 2007/07. :)

Question: If they stooped production in 2007, and if they can't import vans older than 4 years, how come unregistered KDH 200 are still available? Are they all imported a year ago or so?

Thank you all for valuable info.

If they stooped production in 2007, and if they can't import vans older than 4 years, how come unregistered KDH 200 are still available? Are they all imported a year ago or so?

If they stooped production in 2007, and if they can't import vans older than 4 years, how come unregistered KDH 200 are still available? Are they all imported a year ago or so?

the one's you seen are imported before they put 4 year restriction. :)

those units are ex-stock or some units which weren't cleared due to the increase of duty and cleared later. but so far KDH200 domantes the market beating the KDH201. If you really know what I mean ;)

Thats cuz KDH200 has a smaller N/A engine

Members,

I did a web such I found this site about KDH vans this might be help full to KDH van buyers.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1080/toyota-hiace-turbo-diesel-2007/?tab=gallery

To my knowledge there was some DPF problems in Japanese domestic market models on this KDH vehicles.

There was a another thread which A/L discussed about this DPF problem.

So new buyers have to be care full in buying this KDH vans unless buyer is prepared to remove the DPF and adjust according the vehicle control system to our Diesel fuel standards. Because the Diesel fuel is not what we have in S L. Diesel fuel what they have in japan is more refined.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.