• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Tax Exemption - Lanka

tilvin

Hi Friends,

I need this information in order to assist one of my friends. She recently have come from UK to Sri Lanka and she is a disabled person who cannot use her legs. When she was in UK, she was using a vehicle specially modified for her with hand controls. She have an intention to import a similar modified vehicle from abroad (UK, Australia or Japan) and use in Sri Lanka. Does these kind of vehicle import have any tax exemption or reduced tax?

Tks,

Nimalshi

Hi Friends,

I need this information in order to assist one of my friends. She recently have come from UK to Sri Lanka and she is a disabled person who cannot use her legs. When she was in UK, she was using a vehicle specially modified for her with hand controls. She have an intention to import a similar modified vehicle from abroad (UK, Australia or Japan) and use in Sri Lanka. Does these kind of vehicle import have any tax exemption or reduced tax?

Tks,

Nimalshi

Nimalshi,

It is better to contact import controlled department to find out about do they give tax benefits for duty for disabled persons vehicles.

Telephone 1919 and get contact information of the above said department speak to a DC for correct information.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Check with

http://www.imexport....dex.php?lang=en

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60&Itemid=63〈=en

Import and Export Control Department:

Tel : +94-112-326774

Fax : +94-112-328486

Email : [email protected] , [email protected]

Address :

Import and Export Control Department,

No: 75 1/3,

1st Floor, Hemas Building,

York Street,

P.O. Box - 559 ,

Colombo 01

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

She can get a vehicle modified as an 'invalid carriage'. It will also be registred in SL as an invalid carriage (PZ- number). They fall under a lower tax bracket. However, you wil have to go through a lengthy process to register it.

If she is going to be in SL for a few months, try to get the vehicle through carnet.

Edited by Crosswind

• 4 years later...
On 9/21/2012 at 9:39 AM, Crosswind said:

She can get a vehicle modified as an 'invalid carriage'. It will also be registred in SL as an invalid carriage (PZ- number). They fall under a lower tax bracket. However, you wil have to go through a lengthy process to register it.

If she is going to be in SL for a few months, try to get the vehicle through carnet.

I really have no idea why on earth they use the disparaging term like "INVALID" in such taxlegislation. In fact there are many Able-bodied persons who are absolutely INVALID and a burden to the planet Earth. It is very discretionary to use such a disparaging term in any legislation which may have been drafted by old aged prejudiced minds who may be already turned into dust in their graves.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2012 at 7:02 AM, tilvin said:

Hi Friends,

Tks,

Nimalshi

There is no such thing as modified for the physically disabled person.The car is a normal car, but it is fitted with hand control unit.Any one can buy the hand control and a mechanic will install it on the car . That is the only modification I know of as I too drive one. On that basis it is highly unlikely that it will carry any duty exemption. I have driven hand control fitted cars both in USA and Australia as I am dual citizen in both those places hence I say this with hands-on experience so trust me ! This may well be a belated response but we'll worth hence I am compelled to clear any myths about hand control fitted cars.

On 9/21/2012 at 9:39 AM, Crosswind said:

who is invalid on this earth ? Definitely not Disabled People !!!!

1 hour ago, Klwij said:

Vehicles driven by disabled/differently-abled/challenged people are officially known as 'invalid carriages' in Sri Lanka. I don't agree with the terminology either but that's the official name for this particular class of vehicles. If you have any issues with it, please go and have a discussion with the commissioner of motor traffic 

Edit: Since you brought up US and Australia to the topic, read this:

https://www.gov.uk/mobility-scooters-and-powered-wheelchairs-rules/rules-for-class-3-invalid-carriages

Vehicles which are used for disabled/differently abled people are known as 'invalid carriages' even in UK. 

Edited by Crosswind

17 hours ago, Klwij said:

This article will answer most of your questions:
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-ouch-23061676

To quote the article, "The government didn't see these as cars... they saw them as a prosthetic". This maybe the reason to name them "Invalid Carriage". Just speculating here.

There was a company named Invalidka ("Invalidka" apparently means "motorised wheelchair" in Russian). This might be another source of origin, 

This is when we need @Sylvi to explain the history a bit for us. :) But anyway, to me it looks like Ceylon adopted this from the British.

On 2/26/2017 at 2:27 PM, Klwij said:

I really have no idea why on earth they use the disparaging term like "INVALID" in such taxlegislation. In fact there are many Able-bodied persons who are absolutely INVALID and a burden to the planet Earth. It is very discretionary to use such a disparaging term in any legislation which may have been drafted by old aged prejudiced minds who may be already turned into dust in their graves.

I really have no idea why you felt the need to dig up a 5 year old thread just to go on a ramble about terminology... Kindly stop digging up old threads.