• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Kia Sorento 2.2 Litre Turbo Diesel 2012 Crdi

MoneyMaker

There are threads on this nothing specific as most of the available information are on permit or agent complains and people going off topic and huge fights..

Any users here or experts who can share the positives and negatives of this vehicle? I have driven one and think it gives a lot of driving pleasure and the interior is class.

Asked a few people and in summary the older generation of people 40+years and above don't prefer Kia period due to it being Korean. The younger generation 18-40years say its the best vehicle for the price and a lot of power.

Very interested in buying one and have been looking for the perfect Sorento.

Kindly share your thoughts and don't go off topic!

Regards.

• Like 1

If you intend using it on adventures in our national parks avoid it as the ground clearence is hopeless in the Sorento for a 4WD SUV. We went in one to Wasgamuwa and virtually needed a new undercarriage!!

Unless you are just interested in the 2WD version which seems ok.

However depreciation seems comparatively higher than other SUVs.

Edited by Magnum357

When i was down in SL i was using the 2012 model for about a month. From what I gathered its wasnt any good for off road use, but on the plus side, delivers a very good driving experience. Fantastic for a daily use and long distance travel. Not much body roll compared to other suv's. Very quick for sure, lot of fun! handles well, if you know how to drive! the build quality is much better than the previous models I would say. I drove the fully loaded model and thought it was very good! so far no issues with reliability according to the current owner. I learnt to Look beyond the badge, Kia has come a long way from what it used to be, I for one was surprised and I'm not easily impressed! If I was in living in SL I would one.

• Like 1

If you intend using it on adventures in our national parks avoid it as the ground clearence is hopeless in the Sorento for a 4WD SUV. We went in one to Wasgamuwa and virtually needed a new undercarriage!!

Did you mean AWD? And why would you take a vehicle that is clearly not built for off-roading (nor a full on SUV) to Wasgamuwa and then complain about it?

Dude its a crossover, not a full size SUV like a Land Cruiser or Patrol

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my experience with Sorento,

Ordered one ( Not fully loaded) on May 2011, Around November 2011, Kia called me and told that this vehicle price is gone up by USD200, so i had to increase the LC by USD200 again. Got the vehicle to my hand on 6th Jan 2012, what a surprise, the FAT Salesman who thinks that we are buying vehicles from his money told me "Oh sir, it seems AC is not working in this car", it was around 8.30 pm on a Friday and raining. I had no choice but the take vehicle and go home, i said i ll be coming on next monday to fix the AC.So next monday, i went to Kia Motors and got the AC fixed.

I must say, it is a good vehicle to drive, a lot of power compared with other vehicles of same type,Can beat V6 prados easily. Fuel consumption is not bad either, 9-10 kms per liter in the City and 10-13kms per liter long distance.

So everything seems to be ok untill, one day it died on middle of the road on my way to colombo from kandy.it suddenly stopped without giving any sort of indication, Just died. Was a sunday, around 5pm at peradeniya, So i phoned KIA, Guy who answered the phone said, "Sir, we dont have anybody at the moment in Sri lanka as all staff have gone to Thailand on a company sponsored tour.If you could get it towed to company we will pay the towing fee" I told him that i am not gonna tow it to company but to my parent's house.and asked them to come and get it from there. They didnt come on next day, but tuesday , they picked the vehicle from my parent's place and towed to Kia Motors.For next few days, i called them and the answer was like 'Sir we couldn't find the fault yet, We are still trying,we are now trying to get help from Kia motors Korea." So on friday they said, it was a problem with ECU, it need to be replaced, and they have ordred one from Korea.It took another week for them to get it down and fix to vehicle. Luckily, i had the Warranty, i cant imagine a situation if this happened to a warranty expired vehicle.

So i thought everything is ok now, untill i found out that wiper is not working properly, its timing is out order, i think it is a result of newly fixed ECU. anyway i have to take the vehicle again to KIA Motors to get it fixed. I am not living in colombo, i dont drive to colombo daily,Either i use public transport or the transport provided by my company, Iam really fed up with this now.

Edited by BlueLabel
  • Like 1

Kia is supposedly sold over 3000 vehicles on permits.

They have no proper service center, and seem no stock of parts or trained personnel to diagnose problems.

Instead of sending the staff on vacations they should be sending them for training. They would have earned over Rs. 1.8 Billion from charges (Rs. 600,000/- * 3,000) which should have been spent on improving the service infrastructure.

Here is my experience with Sorento,

Ordered one ( Not fully loaded) on May 2011, Around November 2011, Kia called me and told that this vehicle price is gone up by USD200, so i had to increase the LC by USD200 again. Got the vehicle to my hand on 6th Jan 2012, what a surprise, the FAT Salesman who thinks that we are buying vehicles from his money told me "Oh sir, it seems AC is not working in this car", it was around 8.30 pm on a Friday and raining. I had no choice but the take vehicle and go home, i said i ll be coming on next monday to fix the AC.So next monday, i went to Kia Motors and got the AC fixed.

I must say, it is a good vehicle to drive, a lot of power compared with other vehicles of same type,Can beat V6 prados easily. Fuel consumption is not bad either, 9-10 kms per liter in the City and 10-13kms per liter long distance.

So everything seems to be ok untill, one day it died on middle of the road on my way to colombo from kandy.it suddenly stopped without giving any sort of indication, Just died. Was a sunday, around 5pm at peradeniya, So i phoned KIA, Guy who answered the phone said, "Sir, we dont have anybody at the moment in Sri lanka as all staff have gone to Thailand on a company sponsored tour.If you could get it towed to company we will pay the towing fee" I told him that i am not gonna tow it to company but to my parent's house.and asked them to come and get it from there. They didnt come on next day, but tuesday , they picked the vehicle from my parent's place and towed to Kia Motors.For next few days, i called them and the answer was like 'Sir we couldn't find the fault yet, We are still trying,we are now trying to get help from Kia motors Korea." So on friday they said, it was a problem with ECU, it need to be replaced, and they have ordred one from Korea.It took another week for them to get it down and fix to vehicle. Luckily, i had the Warranty, i cant imagine a situation if this happened to a warranty expired vehicle.

So i thought everything is ok now, untill i found out that wiper is not working properly, its timing is out order, i think it is a result of newly fixed ECU. anyway i have to take the vehicle again to KIA Motors to get it fixed. I am not living in colombo, i dont drive to colombo daily,Either i use public transport or the transport provided by my company, Iam really fed up with this now.

To be honest by Sri Lankan standards the service you have received seems to be pretty good. I'm sorry to hear of the bad experiences with your vehicle though, but it sounds like you have been quite unlucky. Incidentally is the vehicle used regularly?

To be honest by Sri Lankan standards the service you have received seems to be pretty good. I'm sorry to hear of the bad experiences with your vehicle though, but it sounds like you have been quite unlucky. Incidentally is the vehicle used regularly?

Nope, Still under 10000km. yeah i think the same, probably i was the chosen one.. :speechless-smiley-004:

Nope, Still under 10000km. yeah i think the same, probably i was the chosen one.. :speechless-smiley-004:

I think that might be part of the problem. Vehicles develop all sorts of issues when they are underused. I think the issue is probably worse in vehicles with complicated electronics (most modern cars).

Well there are some ways to keep the vehicle if you are not using it that much.

In addition to the 5000km service company services should be done annually and oil changes should be done every 6months even if millage is not reached.

and there will be much more.............

The issue goes beyond changing fluids. Rubber components used in vehicles (this includes tyres) that corrode when not in use. Electrical equipment corrode when not in use (particularly when the vehicle is locked up and kept for long periods in humid conditions like ours), relays start sticking, oil drains out causing internal corrosion of the engine, chemical reactions in the oil causes sludge, I can go on.......

At least once a wheek you need a car to come to normal operating temperature and run for a good hour or so to just keep things in good operational order.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Anyone here owns a Kia Sorento or knows a person who owns one personally?

I need to clarify whether its true that it starts giving trouble after 40K kms

my uncle owns has a Kia sorento and when we work in europe he took it there and drove to few European countries. after 50k miles its in the Home soil and still runs pretty well. so far all the things that have gone wrong with the car is very minimal and all of them were covered under warranty

Things have gone wrong so far is: Temp gauge Stopped working, and the temp selector stopped working in the climate control (it wouldn't go back to cold after using heat during Winter)

That's the facelift 2013 model, I'm not sure if they offer this one here

i went and checked there last month. yup. they r offering the facelift with 19" (optional) wheel package. takes about 6months to bring it down it seems.