• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Townace 3C Turbo Transmission Prob

bobmarl

Question

I have a kr41 townace which i converted to diesel with a 3c turbo engine 2yrs back. Its a good unit and has given no probs until now. It has an auto gearbox.

Now there is a delay when upshifting of gears regardless of whether I accelerate hard or lightly. The 1st gear wont change until 20kmph however lightly I press the accelerator pedal. 2nd at 38kmph, 3rd at 56kmph and O/D at 68kmph and these speeds are fixed. It used to not be like this before, in the sense if I accelerate lightly the gears shift very early.

Its a problem when driving in the city because the engine is revving unnecessarily. When driving quick its not a problem at all, the engine power and acceleration is all fine.

I noticed this problem right after the recent service. but no atf change was done during this service.

The atf has been changed in the previous service and its good.

Please advice what I should do coz my regular mechanic is clueless. Thanks loads.

12 answers to this question

Check the kick down cable (cable which goes from throttle to the gearbox) also check whether any sensor around the gearbox got loosen during the service.

yes may be kike down cable.but!!!! how many km have u run after conversion? did you change auto oil completely after as son as fix the new gearbox? or do you use petrol gear box?

Edited by Nilantha

yes may be kike down cable.but!!!! how many km have u run after conversion? did you change auto oil completely after as son as fix the new gearbox? or do you use petrol gear box?

This was sudden after the service, so something to do with messing up with sensors, wiring, kick down cable etc.

On a different note, the gearbox and final drive ( diff / rear axle ) should be changed to diesel ones.

My feeling is it is due to the aging of the gear box causing internal pressure leaking the most probable cause is hardened internal rubber o rings.

But since this is sudden after the service you should always check the kick down cable as well.

One of my friend has had not changing gears beyond the 2nd after the injector pump service but it was faulty modulator and nothing to do with the injector pump!

My uncle had a prob like this in his Toyota Corolla wagon it got worse and he repaired the gear box from some place in negambo but after a few months the prob came again finally the car refused to move then we took it to Toyota Lanka and they said we have to replace the gear box and we did now its ok my advice for you is to take your vehicle somewhere you can really identify the prob like Toyota Lanka coz we really dont know whats going inside the gear box, just go to find out the problem after that you'll be able to find the solution Good luck....

My uncle had a prob like this in his Toyota Corolla wagon it got worse and he repaired the gear box from some place in negambo but after a few months the prob came again finally the car refused to move then we took it to Toyota Lanka and they said we have to replace the gear box and we did now its ok my advice for you is to take your vehicle somewhere you can really identify the prob like Toyota Lanka coz we really dont know whats going inside the gear box, just go to find out the problem after that you'll be able to find the solution Good luck....

at first , replacing the gear box is not such marvel job to be amazed.any idiot knows that it works if you put a new one.

repair the relevant Is the hard part for a good mechanic.

Can you tell us the total cost of the brand new gearbox replacement at toyota lanka.?

Edited by chan5

Toyota townace autogear has this problem. There is a guy doing auto - manual conversion in Wellawatta. He is also in this forum. My vehicle also had the same problem and I spent lot of money for atf oil change, servicing, putting K&N filter, injector pump service, fuel system cleaning, nothing solved the problem.

I showed the problem to many mechanics around Colombo and everybody said different problems, and some said it's normal with CR42. Finally gave up.

Kick down cable it was!!;) it had snapped, got it done in a couple of hours. saved time and money on diagnosing, and of course was saved from being taken for a ride and played out by our honest garages!;p thanks alot for all the advice guys especially nilantha n harshana.