• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

B16 Or B18?

Komisiripala

Guys, I have searched far and wide but not found a conclusive/convincing answer.

Riddle me this:

Will a B16 SIR2 gearbox go all freaky on me coupled to a B18 motor?

It fits perfectly enough, but I fear the gear ratios will be askew, leading to constant shifts and motor tending to be rev-happy.

Help! About to take the plunge!

Wouldn't the effect be the opposite of what you're worried about? You'd be shifting into a lower ratio quicker and staying in the same gear for longer since the bigger engine has more torque?

Edited by terrabytetango

I doubt it will be noticeable unless you're aiming for Vmax. Why not google the transmissions (current and potential) and compare ratios? If everything else stays the same, it should be straight forward maths. IMO, shorter gears > taller gears for our roads. Acceleration is king.

Wouldn't the effect be the opposite of what you're worried about? You'd be shifting into a lower ratio quicker and staying in the same gear for longer since the bigger engine has more torque?

nono, I think its the other way around..Since the engine has more torque it will rev up (under the same load) faster. Meaning if you're first gear is meant to go from 0-40 in 3 seconds, it just means you'll now reach 40 in less than 3.0.

So technically you will be shifting more frequently through the gears to reach the top gear... And, correct me if i'm wrong, but you might get a higher top speed too (am i right?)..

nono, I think its the other way around..Since the engine has more torque it will rev up (under the same load) faster. Meaning if you're first gear is meant to go from 0-40 in 3 seconds, it just means you'll now reach 40 in less than 3.0.

So technically you will be shifting more frequently through the gears to reach the top gear... And, correct me if i'm wrong, but you might get a higher top speed too (am i right?)..

Not the same thing?

What watchman said is what I was worried about. But how bad an issue that would be is my problem.

Truth is, b series manuals are very very hard to home by. I've only found a b16 box for sale. Importing a b18 would mean selling my wife and firstborn to slavery... It's that expensive!

machan the closer the gears the more bottom end power u would have.

If you didn't come across this before would this be of any help....?

http://www.ff-squad....temp/Bgears.htm

Also can the B16 box take the torque of the B18? Is the clutch the same or different in the two models?

These is also an interesting conversation related to this in this forum

http://hondaswap.com/swap-articles/b-series-transmission-guide-29099/

Edited by The Don