• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Vehicle Destroyed At Pun*** Nivasa

kanchanap

This is my recent experience with Pun*** nivasa

I put my 2006 Maruti Alto Car for sale at above *Nivasa* 2 weeks ago. Since I wanted sell my car very soon, I put a price, well below the prices of other same type-year vehicles. For the first week since there was no inquiry at all I dropped the price by 20K... after 2 , 3 days I again dropped by another 20 since I had some urgency.... ( Now my car was about 60 thousand below the cheapest one)

Since i still didn't have any inquiry at all, Decided to take the vehicle out. ( That is saturday evening )

When we try to start the vehicle battery seemed like it is fully dead. one Battery terminal was so loose that I could remove it by hand.. When checking the battery water, it was 90% empty. Remember that, we had checked battery water levals before giving it to *Nivasa*. But we didn't suspect anything and one of the good employees helped us to start the vehicle by using some other vehicle near by...

On our way home, it started to rain and when try to activate the vipers it was fully out of control. Then only we noticed that vipers are not the ones we have had.. We had 2 badges on top of the vipers. Then we went to Pun... Office and complained that those are missing and also suspect that our batteries have also been replaced... I said I can show the vehicle photo advertised on AutoLanka site..

They said they also have photoes of evehicle.. But when the Lady there, searched the vehicle on the system, could not find any image...

We got bit tempered and told that we are going to the police and complain. The manager there, told that they have no problem with that. When checking the situation with a lawyer he said it would have been better if we had checked everything before taking the vehicle out.. our Mistake...

Anyway God help to anyone who put the vehicle at *Nivasa*

it's sad to hear your story .

I was on a hunt for a used car recently and my first restriction was to refrain from such places completely.

It's a good place to inspect and select what model to buy if you've NO clue about decision.and do you like that every folk comes to that place tapping around that car to find tinkering sports ?

Or every folk get in ,

start it. Fiddle with all switches and destroying the interior.do you ?

Sri lankan attitude about selling cars are so different because people always need a profit from selling the car they've brought for less and used for years .

So when that margin is high it's difficult to find a buyer.it's simple as that.

I've seen that people driving cars with their wife on passenger seat with boards displaying " FOR SALE ".

Keeping a car in such a place is more or less same for ME .

Just get a month old newspaper, call and find what was the price they sold the car.usually it's way below the price tag they've quoted.

Put the ad in (AL+LAHI*ITA+H*TAD) With that price tag.

I bet you can sell it. Within a week.

Or days.

Don't go to make hassles with such people, wiper blades and battery will cost less than 10k and you'll waste more time than that.

And if you want really hurt them , try the dirty way -publish it in El *kiri.com and in a gossip site if you can.(send the story completely with photos and they'll publish it).

Or if you really have balls , paste a banner on your back window saying in large letter as some van driver did for jana*hakthi insurance.i saw that picture on autolanka somewhere.

And please don't take this personal.

I was hunting for car for an year(until i collect money i was studying the car).so i've atleast called all my selected model cars advertised on all ways in sri lanka. Will say

about 100 cars,

and what i noticed is, if a car goes to that niwasa it belongs to a moron who quote a price tag extraorbitant.which he couldn't sell for months , and which is the last destination to go after al>lahi*ita>hi*ad.

Just my observations.

Good luck mate

Edited by chan5

That place used to be better when it was small... but as all things in SL, the more it gets bigger the lousier the service gets.

I sold 2 cars through them when tehy were a small joint and had no hassles. they charged only 15K for their services and Got my price with no issues. However as they got bigger I noticed the service went down. Now I think, they are as bad as they can get as they cater to a certain market of car buyers in SL and all those who come there are brokers or crooks who are trying to nick parts.

BTW, the last straw for me was the losing of the key of a car Ieft there. After that I never set foot in the place.

Sorry to hear about your car mate, though I haven't surprised to hear that. I know this place for a long time as I live nearby. You are not the first one who complained about this kind of thing. They never remove any part and leave it as it is, they are replacing junk parts and no one will recognized the difference until for some time (like what happened to wiper in your case). These kinds of things happen at night time and guys who are working on this "nivasa" are responsible (with or without knowledge of the owners). One of my friends told me that he even contact these people when he want to have a recondition part. :)

This is not a secret anymore as most of the people know about this place. Why people going to this place to buy a vehicle? Have anyone noticed condition of those vehicle? As far as I know when people can’t sell a vehicle at all they go to this nivasa. So why should anyone want to go for a junk?

That place used to be better when it was small... but as all things in SL, the more it gets bigger the lousier the service gets.

I sold 2 cars through them when tehy were a small joint and had no hassles. they charged only 15K for their services and Got my price with no issues. However as they got bigger I noticed the service went down. Now I think, they are as bad as they can get as they cater to a certain market of car buyers in SL and all those who come there are brokers or crooks who are trying to nick parts.

BTW, the last straw for me was the losing of the key of a car Ieft there. After that I never set foot in the place.

'VVTi',

You are perfectly correct on above (but as all things in SL, the more it gets bigger the lousier the service gets). For example the reason to sell K/P service center at Navinna to Toyota lanka was they did what they cannot do.

One post one member hinted me that I could not build my automobile service to a empire because of my INEFFICIENCY. No the true fact is if you expand beyond your limits service will get deteriorate as I have to depend on S L technicians who are not dedicated for the service what they do.

This my experience for few decades.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 2

im not surprised with an establishment like that the underline motive is always profit making and not necessary the quality of service delivered from both the seller`s and buyer`s perspective. not necessarily this place but any 3rd party you leave your vehicle behind you run the risk of crooks and thieves ruining your vehicle. Just stick to the local papers next time the chances are the same buyers who goes into car lots will end up going to private car sellers as the profit margins involved are less, better negotiating and greater accountability is involved.

Sorry to hear that you got scammed by this place. What I don't understand is why did you not try to sell the car yourself by advertising on Sunday newspapers. People always prefer to buy from a private seller especially if you are flexible on the price as you were. I have always advertised my cars on the papers and usually managed to sell them during the morning itself!

However I think you should have complained to the police anyway. At least it will make them a little more cautious and also if more people keep complaining police will have no option but to start an investigation at the very least.

Edited by RoshanD
  • Like 1

I put my 2006 Maruti Alto Car for sale at above *Nivasa* 2 weeks ago. Since I wanted sell my car very soon, I put a price, well below the prices of other same type-year vehicles. For the first week since there was no inquiry at all I dropped the price by 20K... after 2 , 3 days I again dropped by another 20 since I had some urgency.... ( Now my car was about 60 thousand below the cheapest one)

Since i still didn't have any inquiry at all, Decided to take the vehicle out. ( That is saturday evening )

When we try to start the vehicle battery seemed like it is fully dead. one Battery terminal was so loose that I could remove it by hand.. When checking the battery water, it was 90% empty. Remember that, we had checked battery water levals before giving it to *Nivasa*. But we didn't suspect anything and one of the good employees helped us to start the vehicle by using some other vehicle near by...

On our way home, it started to rain and when try to activate the vipers it was fully out of control. Then only we noticed that vipers are not the ones we have had.. We had 2 badges on top of the vipers. Then we went to Pun... Office and complained that those are missing and also suspect that our batteries have also been replaced... I said I can show the vehicle photo advertised on AutoLanka site..

They said they also have photoes of evehicle.. But when the Lady there, searched the vehicle on the system, could not find any image...

We got bit tempered and told that we are going to the police and complain. The manager there, told that they have no problem with that. When checking the situation with a lawyer he said it would have been better if we had checked everything before taking the vehicle out.. our Mistake...

Sorry to hear this mate, This has happened not only in this kind of places, but also in Toyota Lanka, Wattala. Sometimes ago one of my friend had put his VIOS to a repair and once he come to take his car back, he has noticed aerial on the car is not the one he had before. He has complained this to management and they have seriously taken this matter to consider. They have replaced his original aerial and fired the employee who held responsible for that.

aerial is something you can see directly, who knows wht else they have changed, which cannot be seen directly. It is better to check the car at the spot, before driving away and notice things have changed. Even before putting car in to service it is better to observe (or take a picture) the car in and out.

Sorry to hear about your experience...so basically they stole your battery and wipers. No doubt they fixed it on another car they sold.

When I was buying my car some years back at a car sale, there was another car of the same model that had a better looking aftermarket ariel. I just casually commented that my one doesn't have that, and he promptly had it removed and offered it to me! But at least I assume both cars actually belonged to the car sale, unlike your case.

I really hope you made a police complaint regardless.

Sorry to hear about your experience...so basically they stole your battery and wipers. No doubt they fixed it on another car they sold.

When I was buying my car some years back at a car sale, there was another car of the same model that had a better looking aftermarket ariel. I just casually commented that my one doesn't have that, and he promptly had it removed and offered it to me! But at least I assume both cars actually belonged to the car sale, unlike your case.

I really hope you made a police complaint regardless.

'jehan80',

About what you have mentioned on your post is a common practice by all used car dealers.

Because they want to satisfy the buyer by giving a mental satisfaction by interchanging another good looking part, some times that part may be older than what the part on the vehicle which he is going to pay money and buy.

Mostly this done by used car dealers changing batteries wiper blades tires on unregistered vehicles side mirrors to newer lighted ones.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ah well...

Things are not as simple as they seem to be.

I have no evidence with the place in question, to back up what I am about to say but let me say a few things in general, about places that accept cars from the public, for selling.

Car yards like this have two types of customers. First is the general public like you and the second type are the 'buying and selling' people (local vernacular is 'baiya'). Although general public bring in business, its the baiyas who keep them afloat. The baiyas also have relationships with everyone in the yard, from the owner to the guy who cleans the place. More often than not, the relationship is maintained by money.

The battery trick is a fairly common one. They don't steal the battery. They just remove the water out of it.

If an ordinary seller prices a car just below or in par with the price of baiya's vehicles, this becomes a threat to the baiyas. The easiest thing to do is to remove the water out of the battery, which makes it difficult to start.

When an average buyer visits the place looking for a car to buy, he will naturally think that the car has a problem or it has been there for a long time and that creates a doubt about the condition of the car on the buyer's mind.

Secondly, this trick also puts pressure on the seller. If the seller is in a hurry to sell the car, he will think he is not getting any offers (without knowing the actual problem) so he keeps reducing the price. And all of a sudden, a baiya will give an offer and grab the car. Baiyas also get information from these places about vehicles which can be grabbed for cheap.

If the battery is sealed-type, they just keep the ignition on until the battery dies.

Cars in yards also become bedrooms at nights for staff/their friends who wish to have female companionship.

Furthermore, car yard owners maintain a 'good relationship' with the village copshed, the kuddas in the area and the local politicos. So don't expect a very fair deal if you were to approach the copshed.

It's always best not to trust a third party to sell your car or buy a car.

Again, I have to say I have no evidence to correlate the above with the place in question. This is general advice for people who are planning to sell their car.

• Like 2

Is it so difficult to sell Indian cars ???

I think even with tax hike, their second hand demmand is dull.

i don't think mate,

it's the price you quote compared to the market value ,

my cousin sister sold alto k10 by last weekend newspaper advertisement , said that second buyer just bought the car before 8 AM In "saturday" .:):):)

quoted 25-50 below the market value.

i don't think mate,

it's the price you quote compared to the market value ,

my cousin sister sold alto k10 by last weekend newspaper advertisement , said that second buyer just bought the car before 8 AM In "saturday" .:):):)

quoted 25-50 below the market value.

It is always better to keep people informed about the crooks involved in these places.

Once I visited this place and observed what was going on.Only a very few buyers visit this place.This place is more or less a car exibition for those who cannot efford to buy cars.Every Tom Dick and Harry gets in to the cars and meddle with the instrumentation. They dirty the interior and msss up the whole thing.The people who run the place are a bunch of idiots. Genuine buyers and sellers should not visit this place.

They have very cheap batteries to sell. They are selling 45Amp battery for Rs. 4000. Must be some sort of side business.

I also had very bad experience with them, once I put my Nissan March AK12 with them, I didn't get a single call for 3 weeks and I decided to get back the vehicle. After coming to home I noticed that there are some scratch marks in the wheel cups and some scratches in bumpers. Had to repaint them.

Finally sold the car by putting it in Autolanka again.

They have very cheap batteries to sell. They are selling 45Amp battery for Rs. 4000. Must be some sort of side business.

I also had very bad experience with them, once I put my Nissan March AK12 with them, I didn't get a single call for 3 weeks and I decided to get back the vehicle. After coming to home I noticed that there are some scratch marks in the wheel cups and some scratches in bumpers. Had to repaint them.

Finally sold the car by putting it in Autolanka again.

Thats what you get for being a cheapskate, duh.

Edited by terrabytetango