• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Keep Rats Away From Car

samanp

Question

Bad smell started to come when I turn on A/C few days back. After checking at garage the mecahnic found a rat inside the blower and it had already damaged the A/C filter. Anyone else had this kind of issue? How do you keep rats away from the car (i drive the car everyday so looks like rats get in at night when engine is cooled down).

Bad smell started to come when I turn on A/C few days back. After checking at garage the mecahnic found a rat inside the blower and it had already damaged the A/C filter. Anyone else had this kind of issue? How do you keep rats away from the car (i drive the car everyday so looks like rats get in at night when engine is cooled down).

Rats normally get in through the fresh-air intake in the aircon. Get rid of the rat first and then make sure you keep the fresh closed (fan set to recirculate), and you should be safe :)

And I dont know about you but I dont want rat poison fumed blowing in my face for 3-4 hours a day everyday.. So staying away form rat poison would be wise IMO ;)

Edited by Watchman

rat poison...ihave a different kind of problem some neighbours cat seems to be catching up with his snooze time on top of my cab...maybe i can send him to your place to help with the rat problem...

Soak a rag/cloth with Siddhalepa and put it on the roof or hood wherever the cat sleeps. The smell generally repels them :)

I use it to keep cats from using my motorcycle seat as a scratching post.

Soak a rag/cloth with Siddhalepa and put it on the roof or hood wherever the cat sleeps. The smell generally repels them :)

I use it to keep cats from using my motorcycle seat as a scratching post.

will do that tonight...i only notice it in the mornings when paw prints are all over the windscreen and bonnet

I have a couple of cats for that. Their den is the garage (they know if they get on the car i'll get the stick out), and their food is given to them there as well. Once I came home to find one of them eating a mouse. Srsly, only the tail was visible. Bugger was defensive as hell when I parked the car and tried to go beyond him to the house entrance.

I too have the same problem Although the surroundings are kept clean, some how or other the rats manage to get in to the engine compartment and litter it.Even the dogs cannot prevent them getting in. I have tried almost all poisons available in the market without success.Because of the dogs I cannot lay the poison on the floor.I hope many of the members should be undergoinig this menace. Plese members give your valuable advice

I too have the same problem Although the surroundings are kept clean, some how or other the rats manage to get in to the engine compartment and litter it.Even the dogs cannot prevent them getting in. I have tried almost all poisons available in the market without success.Because of the dogs I cannot lay the poison on the floor.I hope many of the members should be undergoinig this menace. Plese members give your valuable advice

If you want cats free of charge, PM me :D. my house overflowed with freaking cats.

• Like 1

Any kittens? I'm looking for new additions.

:D :D hell yeah, have two of them, 2 weeks old.

I have a couple of cats for that. Their den is the garage (they know if they get on the car i'll get the stick out), and their food is given to them there as well. Once I came home to find one of them eating a mouse. Srsly, only the tail was visible. Bugger was defensive as hell when I parked the car and tried to go beyond him to the house entrance.

Am I the only one having this problem when having a nap in the weekend evening, the cat is also having a nap on the hood with it's fingernails stretched?

Edited by razordj

Am I the only one having this problem when having a nap in the weekend evening, the cat is also having a nap on the hood with it's fingernails stretched?

lolz........ :D :D (hope I dont get my post deleted by AL Police, :D )

• Like 1

They are called Claws.

I'm considering busting you for advertising. Selling cats on the forum. Or are you pimping by that?

I used the pangiri thel and stick trick with mine. Also they have a nice big cozy box I've made out of an old TV carton. They pretty much ignore the car now. You need to fix your cat's habits ASAP, but please don't have it declawed. It's just unnatural.

They are called Claws.

Thanks!

I used the pangiri thel and stick trick with mine. Also they have a nice big cozy box I've made out of an old TV carton. They pretty much ignore the car now. You need to fix your cat's habits ASAP, but please don't have it declawed. It's just unnatural.

Declawing? I would never do that.

I'm trying to settle him down to a bar chair in the kitchen and it seems to be working. And using that height, he can escape the eye sight of the dog too so I guess that will be a good place for him.

If you want cats free of charge, PM me :D. my house overflowed with freaking cats.

They are called Claws.

I'm considering busting you for advertising. Selling cats on the forum. Or are you pimping by that?

Well.. I hate cats, and Im not selling, all for free... :D (read my earlier post), so you can have all the cats you want to pimp around. :D

Edited by kushan

Pericles, assume you put negative points on my posts above, and why?

• Like 1

Guilty as charged, I have poisoned all the rats that ever got near or into the cars I’ve had over the years. Three or four fellows I guess, and I used M0rtein R@t K!ll to get them (The cube kind of thing).

One thing I’ve seen about rats is that they follow the same route at roughly the same time. So you can place those cubes along its path and it definitely will eat them up. I’ve got a dog at home as well and it doesn't try to eat the stuff (he just sniffs and goes away).

If you have regular rat problems, to prevent further infestations:

1. Never leave the fresh air vent open. As Watchman said, this is one of the few ways for a rat (and other animals) to get inside your car. If the outer passage of the fresh air vent of your car is designed in such a way that most rats seem to take shelter there, then your problems aren’t over for good. I have this problem so I’ve used a wire mesh at the fresh air vent opening.
  2. Don’t park your car facing the same direction every day. If you reverse the car into the garage today, just go front first tomorrow. This reduces the chances of rats building nests because they follow the same route as I’ve stated above.
  3. Keep the interior of your car clean. Some people leave pizza boxes, food wrappings, drinks etc. in their vehicles overnight plus drop food all over the seats and carpets. This is inviting rats and cockroaches into your car.
  4. Having a cat does help a lot as others have stated above. I got one a few weeks back. :)

On another note, when cleaning after the messes they've made, make sure you wear gloves. It’s also a good idea to wear a mask if the stench is too strong.

Guilty as charged, I have poisoned all the rats that ever got near or into the cars I’ve had over the years. Three or four fellows I guess, and I used M0rtein R@t K!ll to get them (The cube kind of thing).

One thing I’ve seen about rats is that they follow the same route at roughly the same time. So you can place those cubes along its path and it definitely will eat them up. I’ve got a dog at home as well and it doesn't try to eat the stuff (he just sniffs and goes away).

If you have regular rat problems, to prevent further infestations:

1. Never leave the fresh air vent open. As Watchman said, this is one of the few ways for a rat (and other animals) to get inside your car. If the outer passage of the fresh air vent of your car is designed in such a way that most rats seem to take shelter there, then your problems aren’t over for good. I have this problem so I’ve used a wire mesh at the fresh air vent opening.
  2. Don’t park your car facing the same direction every day. If you reverse the car into the garage today, just go front first tomorrow. This reduces the chances of rats building nests because they follow the same route as I’ve stated above.
  3. Keep the interior of your car clean. Some people leave pizza boxes, food wrappings, drinks etc. in their vehicles overnight plus drop food all over the seats and carpets. This is inviting rats and cockroaches into your car.
  4. Having a cat does help a lot as others have stated above. I got one a few weeks back. :)

On another note, when cleaning after the messes they've made, make sure you wear gloves. It’s also a good idea to wear a mask if the stench is too strong.

I have empty cigarette packs all over the car and a ash tray full of cigarette butts and have never had a single cockroach or other insect in my car. I think they are afraid of getting cancer.

Pericles, assume you put negative points on my posts above, and why?

That would be me.

Why these negative to your minus mind?

• Like 1

freaking rats once ruined my car..It can be your car perfume...place some moth balls around where you park the car...and make sure to set your a/c to recirculate mode.try to catch the bastard with a trap.sadly my one found dead if not i would make it spend the best days ever.....

freaking rats once ruined my car..It can be your car perfume...place some moth balls around where you park the car...and make sure to set your a/c to recirculate mode.try to catch the bastard with a trap.sadly my one found dead if not i would make it spend the best days ever.....

What you should have done was capture the rat, dismember him and place his parts around the garage. It should be a warning to other rats on why they shouldn't piss you off again. If you are against killing animals because of your religious beliefs, then you can just water board him a couple of times and let him go. No rat will ever enter your premises.