• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic Es Or Ek?

chamath1

Question

Hi everyone this is my first forum post and it's reguarding my very own first car :)

When I was a teenager I had the luxury of riding Mitsubishi Pajero (1989), L200, Lancer Box, Nissan N16, Doctor Sunny, Bluebird (Diesel), Peugeot 406,407, Freelander and none of them gave me the beautiful experience of riding a 1995 Vtec Honda Civic Ex (EG) car. I almost learned all the driving tactics on Sri Lankan roads on this vehicle as my father owned it. I loved it's unique balance between horsepower and fuel consumption which was 15kmpl within Kandy city roads. I dreamt of having it for a lifetime but my dad had to sell it as he needed a four wheel for his travels.

Years later I saw the same car in bits and pieces in a garage as the second owner had tried to modify the vehicle in a very cheap form and then met with a major accident and the vehicle had to be sold for parts. I never felt so sad for machine like that before, and here I am now trying to get a same car just to revive my wild and free good times by buying a Civic to myself :)

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series?

My aspects for a good car is:

1. Fuel Consumption (>12 within city limits, >15 on highway)

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintennance cost

4. Vtec engine HP>100

5. Sporty Look (optional)

When it comes to fuel efficiency , I heard that Lancer CVT has a good kmpl count (15-18KMPL) but didn't go for it because of the memories I had with a Civic and when it comes to looks Civic wins.

I truly like to go for an EG but since that model is too old I'm confused with buying either ES or EK series. Which one is the best when t comes to my requirement ?

Okay.... some saying that it does 12-15kmpl and some don't. But the majority in this thread mention that it does only about 12. My dad's old EG did 15kmpl without any problem. But now we are talking about EK3s. Let me show you guys the second main influence WHY I got interested of getting a Civic. One might say that it is stupid to compare this fuel economy tests which were done on non-sl soils with ours but it's the least good source to get information. just follow the links but I've got down the important ones right below.

http://forum.autowor...2279&st=280

1700cc

1) Honda Civic 2005, 100%hway 15km/l, 100%city 11km/l, mileage 8k+

2) Honda Civic VTEC(A) 2001, CT = 12km/l, HW = 16km/l (with NGK BKR6E-GP SP) (zx4948)

3) Honda Civic 1.7 VTEC(A)2001 80% city=12 -13km/L, HW=15 km/L

http://www.mycarforu...72866&st=40

Honda Civic ES8 1.5(M):- 11-12.5km/l (85-90% city, 10-15% Expressway. Also because of heavy right foot)

Honda Civic ES8 1.5(A):- 10.5-12km/l (65% city, 35% Expressway)

Honda Civic ES1 1.7(M):- ~14km/l (40%city)

Honda Civic EK1 1.6(A):- 13km/l (50/50)

Honda Civic ES5 1.6(A): ~11.6km/l (80%City/20%Expressway)

Honda City 1.5:- 12-13.xkm/l (40% city)

Honda City 1.5 VTEC (M) :- 13km/L (40U/60HW), 15km/L (80HW)

Honda Jazz 1.4: 12-13km/l (50/50) 23km/l (100% Expressway)

Honda Fit 1.5 VTEC(CVT): 12-13km/l (50/50) quite heavy footed with 17" Rim closest.

Now let me remind you the what I need in a car.

1. Fuel Consumption (>12 within city limits, >15 on highway)

2. Price < 2.2 Million

3. Low maintenance cost

4. Japanese make.

If you carefully study the first link you'll be able to see that the two most possible options I can go within my budget are

1) Lancer 1.6 CVT which is very economical but I don't like it's appearance, does max fuel efficiency of 18kmpl on the highway(that is 1.3 version). But I was told that the replacement parts are expensive.

2) Civic VTEC 2001

This morning I went to check out an EK3 and later I realised that the vehicle was hacked on each and every corner even the engine was replaced with a ViRS engine. It came to my attention that the vehicle had Multimatic feature (Sport/Econ). Overall I didn't like the vehicle as it had damaged interior etc. But I'm quite concerned about this Multimatic feature. Does it actually make a solid difference in fuel consumption between those two modes?

BTW FYI if you're a EK3 fan you will find it interesting :)

http://asia.vtec.net/article/EK3Vi/

Edited by chamath1

welcome back Jdnet.

From the etiquettes to the the normal phase .

Mr. non-retarded I was just asking if ES is more robust and economical than EK or not. Plz dont waste putting up comments like that. I just need facts so that I can make a proper choice for a good car.

I think my mind is set on two Civics, it's a matter of choosing which one. I'd highly appreciate if y'all could point out what needs to be further checked out regarding the vehicle condition :) .

Edited by chamath1
  • Like 1

Mr. non-retarded I was just asking if ES is more robust and economical than EK or not. Plz dont waste putting up comments like that. I just need facts so that I can make a proper choice for a good car.

I'm just thoroughly trying to get the right vehicle to go for because I have a tight budget.

You already have the facts you need. Do you want us to make some for you?

Ok I'll start.

The EK3 is a marvelous piece of machinery that God himself commanded Noah to build. People commonly call the EK3 Noah's Ark. Yet it wasn't really an ark. It was a magnificent piece of machinery that has enough torque and horsepower to climb up the highest mountain in the event of a biblical flood. It has enough room to fit two of every animal in the world so that after the flood is over you can repopulate the world. When Noah was building his EK3, people did not believe such a high-tech piece of machinery was needed. Some thought it was the devil that tricked Noah into building it in order to corrupt the humans. Little did they know that God himself wanted this built so that he could repopulate the planet after he had rid it of the miserable and corrupt humans.

Noah spent day and night for years, hammering metal and creating wiring harnesses. Till one day this beauty was complete. He stood on top of the hood and shouted "Eureka, Eureka." That very day he commanded all the animal couples waiting in line to get into the car. Once this was complete he drove to the petrol shed to get a full tank to make it to Horton Plains. Little did he know that the devil had convinced the petroleum minister to buy substandard petrol and sell in to Noah in order to destroy his EK3. A few miles after pumping a full tank the car stopped.

God then commanded Noah to remove the petrol filter and put in a new one that God himself placed in the trunk, knowing all too well about how the petroleum minister was corrupt. Then god commanded Noah to use 95 octane petrol from the IOC since the Indians were slightly less corrupt. Finally Noah made it to Horton plains in his EK3 filled with two of every animal. climbing the hill was a breeze thanks to the VTI engine God had Noah build. Because he was using 95 octane petrol, Noah got 18 KMPL with a/c on. Nuwara Eliya is a little too cold for a/c but he had twwo emperor penguins who needed extremely cold temperatures to survive. The excellent a/c compressor on the EK3 made this possible.

Just as he reached the world end, God unleashed a massive flood that killed every living creature on earth, except for those saved by Noah and his EK3. Not many know of what really happened when god commanded Noah to build an arc. Only a select few prophets were told by God almighty that the Arc was really a Honda Civic EK3.

so this my friend, is why the EK3 is the greatest car in the world.

BTW the ES is a Chinese copy that Confucius attempted to build after they received word that Noah was building the ark. Like all Chinese people, he was incapable of building a decent copy so it sank during the flood. All the ES' you see now are flood damaged.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 3

I think my mind is set on two Civics, it's a matter of choosing which one. I'd highly appreciate if y'all could point out what needs to be further checked out regarding the vehicle condition :) .

if you are more interested in fuel economy than driving pleasure go with a es series if you are more interested in driving pleasure go with a ek series but if you drive it like that way you will lose the fuel economy trust me on that. :)

You already have the facts you need. Do you want us to make some for you?

Ok I'll start.

The EK3 is a marvelous piece of machinery that God himself commanded Noah to build. People commonly call the EK3 Noah's Ark. Yet it wasn't really an ark. It was a magnificent piece of machinery that has enough torque and horsepower to climb up the highest mountain in the event of a biblical flood.

The OP did mention that they were trying to climb some hill in a 407.... :)

Yesterday evening in Kandy I got to drive a EK3 which was in pretty good shape. Maintained by a company, very decent price but as I drove it from Vidyartha junior school to Kaduwela junction (quite a lengthy climb with multiple turns. Nexus you may know the the root I'm talking about.) I realised that I had to change the gear to 1st several times and it was a totally different experience from the one I drove on Friday. It was a non-Vtech but as I picked up somewhat speed, changed it to 3rd and it accelerated without needing to give more throttle. I think it needs some tuning to be done.

Nexus, I'm not sure how to ask this but do you guys think ES after sales parts will be expensive than EKs? For an example, say Brake Pads, Spark Plugs etc?

I mean OFC since ES is newer to EK but would there be any significant difference?

Edited by chamath1

Nexus, I'm not sure how to ask this but do you guys think ES after sales parts will be expensive than EKs? For an example, say Brake Pads, Spark Plugs etc?

I mean OFC since ES is newer to EK but would there be any significant difference?

afaik ES genuine spare parts at the agent cost more than the EK ones but not by a very large margin but if you use aftermarket parts there is little difference between price of both of them so nothing to worry about it.

There are some ESses for sale for almost 2.2M. I really like it's interier but not the external appearance.

Well.. I don't think you can find a decent Interior/ exterior ES for under 2.2M. That is the starting price of the ES.

Guys plz help. I'm pretty close to closing the deal with a EK3 that has an VTi engine. The owner says it's a 2000 model and it's engine is EK3 and the vehicle has done a mileage of 70000Km. I'm starting to feel kinda fishy because it's date manufactured and mileage doesn't sound much likely and the fact that it has a VTi engine. Does it sound like the engine has been replaced?

BTW can someone plz tell me how to cross check the chassis number and it's original engine type? I've seen certain ppl who change the engine without registering it and printing fake serial on the engine. I just need to know how to verify if this car has originally fitted factory engine or not.

Guys plz help. I'm pretty close to closing the deal with a EK3 that has an VTi engine. The owner says it's a 2000 model and it's engine is EK3 and the vehicle has done a mileage of 70000Km. I'm starting to feel kinda fishy because it's date manufactured and mileage doesn't sound much likely and the fact that it has a VTi engine. Does it sound like the engine has been replaced?

BTW can someone plz tell me how to cross check the chassis number and it's original engine type? I've seen certain ppl who change the engine without registering it and printing fake serial on the engine. I just need to know how to verify if this car has originally fitted factory engine or not.

It's not the engine that has been replaced. The odometer has been rolled back.

Well, now that I've come to think of it... Assume he does 16Km trips per day. So if that is true, it is possible that mileage ends up as 70000. BTW the current owner said that the previous owner was a doctor.

Then buy it. Definitely. because lord only knows how well those people look after cars

And put us out of our misery

• Like 2

let me tell you a story of a certain Camry.... our company owned it from new since 2002, in fact we imported it. 2 month back after almost 300,000Kms and 5+ drivers later, we sold it to some random buyer/broker for a measly sum of 1.5m. It was offered to staff but all ran away from it. The cars ECU was shot, interior was shot, paint was shot, in fact we were surprised that any sane man would buy it.

Anyways, 3 weeks after selling it, the car appears on AL itself with a princely sum of 2.2M... new coat of paint, and a new interior. God knows what was done on the ECU cos TL wanted 300K to replace the ECU. All fine except for one thing... the mileage read 90K.... ;)

So going by your mathematics, this car has done less than 16Kms/day. I can assure you that the car ran for more than 100Kms per day and sometimes its gone for days around SL.

Are you that dumb and naive to think that the average mileage for a car is 16kms per day??????

Looks like you are set in buying this car despite some obvious indicators that the car mileage has been turned.

I suggest that you go look for something else.

BTW, 90,000Kms is a standard mileage the odometers are turned in to as it seems to have a psychological effect, just 2 services before the grand 100,000.... :)

• Like 5

Well, now that I've come to think of it... Assume he does 16Km trips per day. So if that is true, it is possible that mileage ends up as 70000. BTW the current owner said that the previous owner was a doctor.

You're an idiot. It doesn't matter if the first owner was Queen Elizabeth. A car is only as good as its last owner.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 5

chamath1,

Check if the the car was imported brand new by the agents or used car imported to this country.

If the car is used in another country it is definitely odometer is adjusted by the importer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Again you rise from your hole to give someone incorrect advice. You're implying that cars that were imported brand new have not (or cannot) have their odometers turned.

But clearly anyone who has even 5 years of automotive experience knows that the origin of the car has nothing to do with if a deceitful seller has reversed the odometer.

• Like 1

doctors thing is there as people consider atleast they've NO time to fiddle with the odometer.

And believe me mate, they never wash cars,and run on daily basis , so 16kmpl is a s*it.

• Haha 1

doctors thing is there as people consider atleast they've NO time to fiddle with the odometer.

And believe me mate, they never wash cars,and run on daily basis , so 16kmpl is a s*it.

some docs do wash them machan,mainly the new generation.(+ use eagle one wax once in three months :))