• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifying To Fix Alloys

zareekz

i remember like your cefiro had alloys.

anyway, guess you will have to find a alloy set with the correct offset..

unfortunately, this is not my area, so hope someone else helps u out.

hehe..

nope it didnt have.. had the original rim & cup set....

Hi,

I want to fix a alloy wheel to my car. The issue is that a part of the wheel that i have is brushing against the brake caliper. A single spacer is not doing the trick either.

What can I do?

'zareekz',

How mush more space you want to extend 1 spacer did not help you as for your post, more spacers will not give enough length of the studs to fix the Alloy wheel is that correct.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I still didn't get this. Does your car has alloys fixed and them rubbing against the calipers or you bought a set and that has this issue?

Best opinion would be to find a proper set of alloys which does not rub against the caliper / would not let tires to rub with fender or mcperson strut.

If you want to proceed with the alloys you have in possession (assuming) you can find / make a set of spacers with studs fixed into and mount the wheel onto the studs in the spacer. However, this method ( although being done in any ordinary lathe shop) is not recommended due to possible safety compromising and unnecessary cost involved.

What you need to do is to get a set of alloy wheels (maybe trade in the ones you already have) for a set with a bigger rim size; ie if the one that does not fit is a 14" rim size get a 15" set. But make sure that you compensate with the tyre size so that the outer diameter of the wheel is unchanged.

Example: If the ones that does not fit are 14" rims fitted with the tyre size 185 x 14 SR 70, get a 15" rim set and fit is with 185 x 15 SR 60 tyres.

Cheers!

Edited by RoshanD

Hi Zarkeez,

From my personal experience (I am not a mechanic or an expert), adding spacers results in wheel bearing issues over the long term since the pressures on the bearing changes as you move the wheels out. Are you running the original wheels? I am surprised they are brushing against the brake callipers if you are running originals. Maybe try a larger rim with lower profile tires?

Cheers,

Bart

What you need to do is to get a set of alloy wheels (maybe trade in the ones you already have) for a set with a bigger rim size; ie if the one that does not fit is a 14" rim size get a 15" set. But make sure that you compensate with the tyre size so that the outer diameter of the wheel is unchanged.

Example: If the ones that does not fit are 14" rims fitted with the tyre size 185 x 14 SR 70, get a 15" rim set and fit is with 185 x 15 SR 60 tyres.

Cheers!

In compliance with new etiquette policy:

Dear Sir, I disagree with you as the solution you propose is NOT resolving the problem but merely "hoping that" it would. If the alloy touches the calliper its not because the rim is to small, its because that particular design is just not suitable for this car. The 14" or 15" only indicates the diameter of the rim. There will certainly be other alloys that are 14" and dont rub against the calliper.

Additionally your solution requires the OP to buy a new set of tyres too; fine if he's due for a tyre change soon, else its more wasted money..

<<dam its boring to be polite>>

In compliance with new etiquette policy:

Dear Sir, I disagree with you as the solution you propose is NOT resolving the problem but merely "hoping that" it would. If the alloy touches the calliper its not because the rim is to small, its because that particular design is just not suitable for this car. The 14" or 15" only indicates the diameter of the rim. There will certainly be other alloys that are 14" and dont rub against the calliper.

Additionally your solution requires the OP to buy a new set of tyres too; fine if he's due for a tyre change soon, else its more wasted money..

<<dam its boring to be polite>>

No one asked anyone to be THIS polite.... At least Mods/Admin didn't :P

Hi guys,

no need to get into arguments over this..

The issue I had was with the 15" alloys that i purchased, the particular design was as such that it was rubbing against the caliper. The vehicle was running with the steel rims.

The solution was to extend the studs and put in spacers, requiring modification and a lot of time

Anywayz, after considering the 'cost factor' and the long term safety, decided to trade it in and get a different design and size.

Thanks everyone..