• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

Never sony.. especially if you are looking forward to run some apps. Sony idiots are well known to mess up the core of Android OS as the result many apps developed by third party developers will fail pathetically. If you like keep meeting the error message "Sorry xxx app has unfortunately crashed".. then go ahead with Sony :)

I have been using Sony Experias for last 4-5 years and I have never seen that error ! what was the phone you were using?

• 1 month later...

Guys. IM on the hunt for a new phone.. used several (7 this year :o ) But I feel like I want to settle for something good.. had a look around in youtube and stuff.. these are the main contestants that grew on me.

- LG G4 (to be replaced in april)

- LG Nexus 5X

- Galaxy S6 Edge Plus (Actually I used it for a month)

- Apple Iphone 6S

- Apple IPhone 6S plus

And some other good ones

-HTC M9 (replacing in march)

-Galaxy S6. (replacing in march)

Not a fan of Sony,Motorola.. Huawei also has some good stuff,but most of there prices are the same as the above Brands..

WhIch do u think is best? Any other suggestions? Ill hang on to it at least untill September..thanx

Have you checked Samsung Note Edge?? After using few sony xperias for almost 3 years, a month back I bought Samsung Note Edge. Eye catching design and good features as well...Initially I felt the size bit too much. But after being used it for one month , the size seems not to be an issue.

Edited by AbeysinghE

The Edge 6 is an interesting choice... and an eye catcher (though I ASSUME the 'edge' factor/novelty wears off after a while - many of my friends completely forgot about their stylus on their Galaxy notes after a few months ) ... Plus if you are a hardcore android fan bear in mind Samsungs software and firmware updates are not the same level with nexus devices(I'm a samsung user since 2012) ... Nexus gets all the latest updates frequently. If you DO eventually get a Nexus do share your experience

Edited by matroska

I have a S6 Edge gold color

It looks great, a real catcher, the gold color looks far better than the iPhone gold

the camera is epic although I dont use the camera much

display is awesome as well

the battery lasts around 17-18 hours with normal usage

the fast charging charges the phone to 100% in about 1 and half hours

I found 2 problems, its not that easy to use with one hand and the edge screen reduces the grip

Hi all.Thanx for the suggestions. .. Well after some more reviews and many phone shops, Iv listed two phones which I like.. LG G4 and Samsung galaxy Edge plus... well the edge plus is even bigger than the Edge,magnum.. yes matrokosa The edge screen is a big gimmick. It is quite fun to watch movies on it cos it has a full view.. But having 2 3 samsung phones I dont really see anything exciting. (I used an Edge plus for 1 month,the cam,finger scanner and screen quality was cool.apart from that its the same thing thats on a galaxy basic phone) The lg g4 was cool, but the OS looked cartoonish.. that was the only downside, the cam was bloody awesome though..what do u say?

Basic Galaxy phones lacks the high screen resolution, high ppi, great color, camera quality, Processing power etc.

True, but I feel that this whole spec game is getting out of hand. Let's face it,most of us only use our phone to surf, take some pics, send some emails, whatsapp and some basic apps. You don't really need 500 ppi phone with an octacore gazillion Ghz processor for that. Unless you are a heavy gamer or a developer who fully utilises the power you are wasting money on things you don't really use.

Edited by The Stig
  • Like 1

I've got a regular Galaxy S6. I chose it over the edge because my fingers are too large to hold it comfortably without touching the edge of the screen. Mine lasts for at least 16 hours with mixed data and wifi, and permanent bluetooth connection with my pebble watch. Battery life isn't an issue because with the fast charger you can top up an extra 30% in like 15 minutes. I carry around a 5000mah Xiaomi power bank just in case, which charges the phone almost as quickly as the fast charger.

I've got a regular Galaxy S6. I chose it over the edge because my fingers are too large to hold it comfortably without touching the edge of the screen. Mine lasts for at least 16 hours with mixed data and wifi, and permanent bluetooth connection with my pebble watch. Battery life isn't an issue because with the fast charger you can top up an extra 30% in like 15 minutes. I carry around a 5000mah Xiaomi power bank just in case, which charges the phone almost as quickly as the fast charger.

I thought only S6 Edge had fast charging and not the standard S6

Same with me. I opted for the regular S6 instead of Edge because I didnt like the grip on the Edge. With regular S6 battery life never really has been a problem for me. It lasts through the day with data or wifi always on and connected to car bluetooth when im on the move. And yes the fast charger pretty much charges the phone 0-100% in about 1 hr and 15 mins. I got a branded Auki car charger as well for it from ebay (cost about Rs. 3000) and that too has fast charging enabled. Been using it for about 4 months with all the apps installed and so far hasn't been any lag on it. I like the lighter version of TouchWiz they shipped with this phone instead of the bloatware that was on previous Galaxy S models.

No matter how many trillion core comes what's the point if the battery technology still stuck in 90's. :(.You have thousands of gimmicks but you can't use them if you want your phone to last at least a day.Unless some major changes happen in the power section I don't think these spec games would matter in the times ahead.

• Like 2

Well I find the ppi stuff is overrated yes. at the end of the day you are not going to notice a huge diff unless you are trying to watch a high res video etc but that hardly happens to be honest.

But when it comes to processor and RAM it certainly makes a difference. Older phones with low processing power and lesser ram really struggle with even basic /must-have apps. For example take the chrome browser which is almost identical now to its desktop counterpart. Ive been using a note3 neo that has 2 processors with 2GB RAM and has no problem loading pages playing streaming videos etc. The temporary phone given to me by the office is a S2 Plus with a basic dual core processor and 1Gig of RAM that struggles with chrome so much that i now use the stock samsung browser (which needless to say sucks). Same goes for Viber, Skype etc. It's just that even the basic apps now are so demanding and that is a bad thing on the part of app developers... their apps support older devices on paper but when it comes to rhe reality its extremely frustrating.

True, but I feel that this whole spec game is getting out of hand. Let's face it,most of us only use our phone to surf, take some pics, send some emails, whatsapp and some basic apps. You don't really need 500 ppi phone with an octacore gazillion Ghz processor for that. Unless you are a heavy gamer or a developer who fully utilises the power you are wasting money on things you don't really use.

Just like cars some buy phones just to impress co-workers or family members. They don't really use at least quater of the phones features. I really need a Dual-Sim phone, instead of going for the S6 thought of going for a A8.

Just like cars some buy phones just to impress co-workers or family members. They don't really use at least quater of the phones features. I really need a Dual-Sim phone, instead of going for the S6 thought of going for a A8.

A close friend got a A3 which is real bang for buck I think. Looks real classy, even more than the S series if you ask me... And if you're a girl and prefer something that fits in your purse rather than watch HD movies on a 6 inch screen they are awesome. And the speakers on that tiny A3 are far better than my S5.

• Like 1

Nobody seems to like LG on AL :( Im sort of attached to the leather back :/

I use the G3 as a second phone for almost 2 years now.Love it.I checked out the G4 recently but it was not a worthy upgrade IMO.

Going back to Blackberry next with the Priv.

Nobody seems to like LG on AL :( Im sort of attached to the leather back :/

I used a Nexus 4 for over 2 years before it gave out earlier this year. Thats HW by LG. That's a classy phone, glass back with the Crystal Reflective design. And it got upgrades upto Android 5.2.2 so still viable to use today if the hardware hadn't given up. Tho to be fair, all the time it spent in the car phone cradle exposed directly to the sun probably had something to do with the failure.