• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

Software upgrades don't give you a bigger, higher res screen, NFC or a better processor. If you want S3 features, buy an S3.

Bdw theres a version in SII from Korea which has a 720P 4.7" display, NFC, bigger battery and faster processor than the international version

If you watched couple of reviews you would have found out that the materials used and the design isn't upto standard with the competitors

If you saw the sales numbers of the S3 vs the One X and anything Sony put out, you'd see why they didn't bother. They know their consumers. Its not going to matter. So they didn't make it out of aluminium. The specs are going to push it as a smart phone leader, the plastic will be sold as a weight saving feature.

Well, they knew their consumers. There seems to be some major flack running around in the press from the complaining about the launch event, and how it portrayed users, women in particular.

Meh, don't matter. The Nexus is still the way forward for me, this isn't going to tempt me away. The Sony is more tempting than the S4 in my book, but the choice stays Nexus 4 for now.

On the matter of smart phones.. I recently updated the OS on my SG-S3 to 4.12 and now the phone is always "awake" (as observed in the battery status), and i'm sure it wasnt like that before.. and there's no apps running either...

Has anyone had any similar issues with the OS update?

If you saw the sales numbers of the S3 vs the One X and anything Sony put out, you'd see why they didn't bother. They know their consumers. Its not going to matter. So they didn't make it out of aluminium. The specs are going to push it as a smart phone leader, the plastic will be sold as a weight saving feature.

Well, they knew their consumers. There seems to be some major flack running around in the press from the complaining about the launch event, and how it portrayed users, women in particular.

Meh, don't matter. The Nexus is still the way forward for me, this isn't going to tempt me away. The Sony is more tempting than the S4 in my book, but the choice stays Nexus 4 for now.

Yep Sony is better and whats that thing about the launch event?

and when I spend money on a high end phone I want it to be made out of quality materials as well, not out of cheap plastic

On the matter of smart phones.. I recently updated the OS on my SG-S3 to 4.12 and now the phone is always "awake" (as observed in the battery status), and i'm sure it wasnt like that before.. and there's no apps running either...

You mean your screen has consumed most amount of battery?

Edited by Magnum

Yes, my Xperia T got the JB update about a month back to 4.1.2 and it is also awake most of the time. If you check its the google services (location) that wakes the phone up and it seems like a JB issue. Even with disabling Google Now and location updates..it still wakes it... (some people have disabled maps etc..but then I feel it wouldnt really be useful as a smartphone...)

yep I read about it, theres an app called "News Republic" check it. you can get all your tech, automobile, etc etc news all together at one place. and it has a nice UI

Dude, I agree with you, I agree with the article, but the bottom line is, whatever the reviews, the nerds, the experts say, the most likely outcome will be, out of the Xperia Z, HTC One and the S4, the S4 will be the biggest commercial success. Like it or not. My personal gut feeling is that it won't be quite as stunning a success as the S3, but out of this generation of flagships, it will be top dog in sales.

It's like iPhones those days. There would be any number of power users/experts/reviews saying the Apples are overpriced, not worth, limited, but people still bought it.

Bottom line, people don't bother listening to nerds. They should, but they don't.

Have to agree with Peri. When I bought the SIII - the hype was that anything less would be settling for the 2nd best.

When I got my hands on it, it looked more plasticky and fragile than my 3 year old Nokia. But the phone and the features stuck on and it continues to impress your average joe no end.

To be fair to samsung, the SIII still looks like out of the box after 6 months without a screen protector and a minimal back cover.

Have to agree with Peri. When I bought the SIII - the hype was that anything less would be settling for the 2nd best.

When I got my hands on it, it looked more plasticky and fragile than my 3 year old Nokia. But the phone and the features stuck on and it continues to impress your average joe no end.

To be fair to samsung, the SIII still looks like out of the box after 6 months without a screen protector and a minimal back cover.

Dude, I agree with you, I agree with the article, but the bottom line is, whatever the reviews, the nerds, the experts say, the most likely outcome will be, out of the Xperia Z, HTC One and the S4, the S4 will be the biggest commercial success. Like it or not. My personal gut feeling is that it won't be quite as stunning a success as the S3, but out of this generation of flagships, it will be top dog in sales.

It's like iPhones those days. There would be any number of power users/experts/reviews saying the Apples are overpriced, not worth, limited, but people still bought it.

Bottom line, people don't bother listening to nerds. They should, but they don't.

I had two SIIs, I loved them till I took a iPhone to my hand

Hi Zambo.. U are probably on ice cream sandwich 4.0.4.. for the galaxy s2 i9100 & i9100g official samsung galaxy s2 jelly bean 4.1.2 rom is now available.. just plug phone into pc, run samsung kies and check for update or on your phone go to settings and select check for update.. chance of getting it on kies is slightly higher though.. If it says no update available, u can check at a later date or resort to other methods if u really can't wait for jelly bean...

Edited by YRD