• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

So does this mean that Sony is trying to get it done from developers outside Android/Google?

So does this mean that Sony is trying to get it done from developers outside Android/Google?

Sorta. Basically the idea was the Sony would release the drivers so people can do open source development on the phone, which would mean custom ROMs and stuff would be a lot easier. Google would have done the vanilla Android build in AOSP. But Sony would keep development going on its own too, with their custom skins and software packages.

As far as this Github thing goes, yes, so it would seem. But thats sorta how the Linux community seems to operate.

As great as vanilla Android is, a lot of people don't realize that OEMs add software to the phones other than the customization. For example, on mine, I have software that probably would cost about $50 if I had to buy it all from the Play Store, supplied free with the phone from Sony. So going for those stock builds would mean loosing out on things like that too.

Edited by Pericles

In past, google and certain phone manufacturers agreed and formed an android update alliance; which essentially agreed to keep providing updates for (major) phones and devices for 18 months after launch. God knows what happened to that as no one seems to do that anymore - for 18 months - in their own vested interest.

I'm dreading the last update from Samsung for SIII, which could very well be the next scheduled 4.2.1, along with the SIV launch or the one after that.

Little wonder that majority of droid devices today still run Gingerbread.

In past, google and certain phone manufacturers agreed and formed an android update alliance; which essentially agreed to keep providing updates for (major) phones and devices for 18 months after launch. God knows what happened to that as no one seems to do that anymore - for 18 months - in their own vested interest.

I'm dreading the last update from Samsung for SIII, which could very well be the next scheduled 4.2.1, along with the SIV launch or the one after that.

You mean the Open Handset Alliance?

:)

OHA hasn't had a whats new update since 2011

http://www.openhandsetalliance.com/

Looks like autoLanka is ok. We have way less resources than Google :)

Edited by Pericles

Sorta. Basically the idea was the Sony would release the drivers so people can do open source development on the phone, which would mean custom ROMs and stuff would be a lot easier. Google would have done the vanilla Android build in AOSP. But Sony would keep development going on its own too, with their custom skins and software packages.

As far as this Github thing goes, yes, so it would seem. But thats sorta how the Linux community seems to operate.

As great as vanilla Android is, a lot of people don't realize that OEMs add software to the phones other than the customization. For example, on mine, I have software that probably would cost about $50 if I had to buy it all from the Play Store, supplied free with the phone from Sony. So going for those stock builds would mean loosing out on things like that too.

So its basically a custom ROM isn't it? probably there are already bunch of custom ROMs that are close to stock android

and yep you are right your phone manufacture does add some paid apps to your phone like office suite, and also sometimes they put up paid apps for free in their own app store. I remember some where around Jan 2012 Samsung put up the Asphalt 6 for free in their app store where it was a paid app in Google Play

The reason why its unable to update some phones beyond Gingerbread is because ICS is made specifically for dual core devices. unlike in iOS in Android a new O/S comes with loads of new stuff so its hard to run them on the older models

So its basically a custom ROM isn't it? probably there are already bunch of custom ROMs that are close to stock android

and yep you are right your phone manufacture does add some paid apps to your phone like office suite, and also sometimes they put up paid apps for free in their own app store. I remember some where around Jan 2012 Samsung put up the Asphalt 6 for free in their app store where it was a paid app in Google Play

The reason why its unable to update some phones beyond Gingerbread is because ICS is made specifically for dual core devices. unlike in iOS in Android a new O/S comes with loads of new stuff so its hard to run them on the older models

I guess, in a way, it is. But it should be easier to make than most custom ROM, coz the drivers are released by the manufacturers. So you won't have that issue of randoms things not working, like camera's and wifi.

And I dunno about that theory. I'm running the Sony ICS update, 4.0.4, and my phone is a single core. It can be quite laggy at times, but it actually is better than the old GB days. I guess as the data volume goes up, lag increases. I'm managing two google accounts and some 500 contact on my phone right now, so the address book can be a little slow at times.

Also, 4.0 and higher updates are actually not too bad. Check out the usage numbers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-40-and-higher-nears-50-percent-adoption-23-still-largest

Edited by Pericles

Picked up my Google Nexus 7 3G 32GB yesterday and ditched the TF101. Downgraded my phone to a Nokia Asha 300. If I can find an Ericsson R380 or R520 with POP3 email support, I will have come around the full mobile phone circle.

I guess, in a way, it is. But it should be easier to make than most custom ROM, coz the drivers are released by the manufacturers. So you won't have that issue of randoms things not working, like camera's and wifi.

And I dunno about that theory. I'm running the Sony ICS update, 4.0.4, and my phone is a single core. It can be quite laggy at times, but it actually is better than the old GB days. I guess as the data volume goes up, lag increases. I'm managing two google accounts and some 500 contact on my phone right now, so the address book can be a little slow at times.

Also, 4.0 and higher updates are actually not too bad. Check out the usage numbers.

http://www.androidcentral.com/android-40-and-higher-nears-50-percent-adoption-23-still-largest

If I remember right the reason why the SGS didn't get ICS update is due to the fact that its single core

How is the performance of your phone running ICS compared to gingerbread?

If I remember right the reason why the SGS didn't get ICS update is due to the fact that its single core

Better. Among other things, memory usage is more efficient, so things actually work a little better. That is, after the second update. The first update f'ed things up royally, phone was barely usable until for about 4 months until Sony pulled its pants up and got a fix out.

I've got JB (Cyanogenmod 10) on my HTC Desire S paperweight and it's gindara when overclocked to 1.8ghz. I'm pretty sure the SGS will perform similarly, even though it has 256mb less of memory than the HTC. I would suggest skipping ICS completely and going in the vanilla JB direction.

Edited by terrabytetango

Better. Among other things, memory usage is more efficient, so things actually work a little better. That is, after the second update. The first update f'ed things up royally, phone was barely usable until for about 4 months until Sony pulled its pants up and got a fix out.

first update in the sense 4.0.3?

I've got JB (Cyanogenmod 10) on my HTC Desire S paperweight and it's gindara when overclocked to 1.8ghz. I'm pretty sure the SGS will perform similarly, even though it has 256mb less of memory than the HTC. I would suggest skipping ICS completely and going in the vanilla JB direction.

ICS wasn't that successful on many devices

Upgraded to 4.1.2 on the the S2 two days ago after sticking with ICS for a while, gotta say it's very good. Everything other than the restart process happens quicker and smoother and battery utilization seems to have improved as well. It was a bit of a pain to have to reconfigure home screens and such from scratch but once done its better than ever. All in all the upgrade makes my S2 (now over a year old and used pretty hard) feel almost like a new device.

Upgraded to 4.1.2 on the the S2 two days ago after sticking with ICS for a while, gotta say it's very good. Everything other than the restart process happens quicker and smoother and battery utilization seems to have improved as well. It was a bit of a pain to have to reconfigure home screens and such from scratch but once done its better than ever. All in all the upgrade makes my S2 (now over a year old and used pretty hard) feel almost like a new device.

Now it locks much faster isn't it? bdw its possible to get all SIIIs feature to SII through a mod and it doesn't lag. if you are interested i'll find out what that mod is.

• Like 1

Now it locks much faster isn't it? bdw its possible to get all SIIIs feature to SII through a mod and it doesn't lag. if you are interested i'll find out what that mod is.

I got a SII so what do i need to do to get S3 features on it