• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

So guys i updated for the official jelly bean (Spain version) and this time it was stressful

there is no major difference from the leaked JB version. its saves a lot of battery life now.

i can run for 2 days from 1 charge. the system hasn't crashed at least once. some motion sensor function didn't function properly with the leaked version.

they are fixed now for example the hold and tilt to unlock. and the smart stay (display switches off if you don't stare at it for long) option from S3 is working as well.

face recognition is brilliant compared to ICS. also something else that i noticed was that next to the time on the world clock, the countries flag is displayed as well.

The GT-i9100G and the GT-i9100T firmwares will most probably be released in the end of next month or so

42KXo3o.pngFzG6YhL.png

So guys i updated for the official jelly bean (Spain version) and this time it was stressful

there is no major difference from the leaked JB version. its saves a lot of battery life now.

i can run for 2 days from 1 charge. the system hasn't crashed at least once. some motion sensor function didn't function properly with the leaked version.

they are fixed now for example the hold and tilt to unlock. and the smart stay (display switches off if you don't stare at it for long) option from S3 is working as well.

face recognition is brilliant compared to ICS. also something else that i noticed was that next to the time on the world clock, the countries flag is displayed as well.

The GT-i9100G and the GT-i9100T firmwares will most probably be released in the end of next month or so

42KXo3o.pngFzG6YhL.png

So whos from Philippines? :D

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="vishkid" data-cid="231617" data-time="1359473291"><p>

Machan did you get the 4.1.2 OTA update? The "driving mode" makes a comeback there, should be similar to car dock (I hv not used car dock in android).</p></blockquote> How did you update to 4.1.2?. Kies not show any update!

How did you update to 4.1.2?. Kies not show any update!

Well I got this OTA around 20th December, a pop-up came asking to connect to wifi for software update. I actually did not know it was the update to 4.1.2 until it finished the update.

If it's not available here, it might be the case that my CSC is set to Singapore even though I'm using Dialog-SL, is that even possible? (I bought the phone in Singapore and updated to 4.1 JB via wifi in Singapore before I put in any SIM).

There are a few noticeable changes in 4.1.2, the biggest being multi-window .. and a host of other stuff which came with Note 2.

Well I got this OTA around 20th December, a pop-up came asking to connect to wifi for software update. I actually did not know it was the update to 4.1.2 until it finished the update.

If it's not available here, it might be the case that my CSC is set to Singapore even though I'm using Dialog-SL, is that even possible? (I bought the phone in Singapore and updated to 4.1 JB via wifi in Singapore before I put in any SIM).

There are a few noticeable changes in 4.1.2, the biggest being multi-window .. and a host of other stuff which came with Note 2.

Yep that's the case, different countries get the update at different time.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="vishkid" data-cid="231617" data-time="1359473291"><p>

Machan did you get the 4.1.2 OTA update? The "driving mode" makes a comeback there, should be similar to car dock (I hv not used car dock in android).</p></blockquote> How did you update to 4.1.2?. Kies not show any update!

what phone are you both using?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231940" data-time="1359795073"><p>

<br />

Yep that's the case, different countries get the update at different time.<br />

<br /> Im using s3 , international version. Updated to 4.1.1 and lost car dock support. Got 4.1.2 notice via kies late December, but its no longer there!( I was bit reluctant to update then)

<br />

<br />

what phone are you both using?</p></blockquote>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231940" data-time="1359795073"><p>

<br />

Yep that's the case, different countries get the update at different time.<br />

<br /> Im using s3 , international version. Updated to 4.1.1 and lost car dock support. Got 4.1.2 notice via kies late December, but its no longer there!( I was bit reluctant to update then)

<br />

<br />

what phone are you both using?</p></blockquote>

Why don't you update through odin? its faster

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231944" data-time="1359803593"><p>

<br />

Why don't you update through odin? its faster</p></blockquote> Thanks for the tip machan! Will try that!. Recently changed to Android from 10 years of Nokia , so still learning!.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231944" data-time="1359803593"><p>

<br />

Why don't you update through odin? its faster</p></blockquote> Thanks for the tip machan! Will try that!. Recently changed to Android from 10 years of Nokia , so still learning!.

Just google as "updating Samsung galaxy I9300 through odin" and you will get step by step instructions.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231956" data-time="1359813528"><p>

<br />

Just google as "updating Samsung galaxy I9300 through odin" and you will get step by step instructions.</p></blockquote> Thanks mate!. Got the 4.1.2 via kies today. Ive connected it in wrong format before!. Still no car dock support!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231956" data-time="1359813528"><p>

<br />

Just google as "updating Samsung galaxy I9300 through odin" and you will get step by step instructions.</p></blockquote> Thanks mate!. Got the 4.1.2 via kies today. Ive connected it in wrong format before!. Still no car dock support!

dude its Android, you can always tweak things and get stuff sorted out(it'll need rooting though)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231995" data-time="1359900851"><p>

<br />

dude its Android, you can always tweak things and get stuff sorted out(it'll need rooting though)</p></blockquote> Hmm.. searched a bit in xda forum and there are few custom ROMs with dock support. But each one of them have some other issues as well and I will lose warranty too. So waiting for something official!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Magnum" data-cid="231995" data-time="1359900851"><p>

<br />

dude its Android, you can always tweak things and get stuff sorted out(it'll need rooting though)</p></blockquote> Hmm.. searched a bit in xda forum and there are few custom ROMs with dock support. But each one of them have some other issues as well and I will lose warranty too. So waiting for something official!

yep you will lose warranty if you root as well

• 3 weeks later...

Bought a Xperia S yesterday so heres my short review on it :D

Pros:

Display- when you first turn on the phone you'll realize the Sony display with Bravia engine is epic, its far better than the display I have in my Galaxy SII and iPhone 4

Camera: The 12MP camera takes amazing snaps, at first you'll find the settings bit complicated(cause theres loads of them) but later you'll get used to it. The best part of the camera is the dedicated physical button which can also take pics staright away from the lock screen within around 3 seconds

Interface : It looks amazing and simple

HDMI connectivity: Tried connecting the phone to my Sony TV todays, worked great, can control the phone through the TV remote as well

Design: Yes its big but looks sexy to me

Cons

Battery life: Doesn't seem to last long as my SII did on a full charge probably this is due to the 1.5Ghz processor and the bright display

Flimsy USB and HDMI connectivity door : If you aren't careful with it, it looks like it could break

Touch sensitive buttons: The touch sensitive buttons are bit too small, and if you had used a Samsung phone before you'll get confused with them as they are in the opposite direction to where you find them in a Samsung phone, the back button is on the left and the menu key on the right

Updates: Sony isn't one of those companies which rolls out updates fast, so the phone is still running ICS

xperia-s.jpg

Edited by Magnum

Pros:

Display- when you first turn on the phone you'll realize the Sony display with Bravia engine is epic, its far better than the display I have in my Galaxy SII and iPhone 4

Camera: The 12MP camera takes amazing snaps, at first you'll find the settings bit complicated(cause theres loads of them) but later you'll get used to it. The best part of the camera is the dedicated physical button which can also take pics staright away from the lock screen within around 3 seconds

Interface : It looks amazing and simple

HDMI connectivity: Tried connecting the phone to my Sony TV todays, worked great, can control the phone through the TV remote as well

Design: Yes its big but looks sexy to me

Cons

Battery life: Doesn't seem to last long as my SII did on a full charge probably this is due to the 1.5Ghz processor and the bright display

Flimsy USB and HDMI connectivity door : If you aren't careful with it, it looks like it could break

Touch sensitive buttons: The touch sensitive buttons are bit too small, and if you had used a Samsung phone before you'll get confused with them as they are in the opposite direction to where you find them in a Samsung phone, the back button is on the left and the menu key on the right

Updates: Sony isn't one of those companies which rolls out updates fast, so the phone is still running ICS

xperia-s.jpg

Oh! you should've waited for another month and bought the Xperia Z. Water resistant, dust resistant, 5" full HD screen (441 PPI.....highest pixel density of any phone....smart, or otherwise), JB out of the box, 1.5GHz quad-core.................. and based on some reviewes, the best Android phone right now (probably until March 14th......that's the date of Galaxy S IV announcement...........

Oh! you should've waited for another month and bought the Xperia Z. Water resistant, dust resistant, 5" full HD screen (441 PPI.....highest pixel density of any phone....smart, or otherwise), JB out of the box, 1.5GHz quad-core.................. and based on some reviewes, the best Android phone right now (probably until March 14th......that's the date of Galaxy S IV announcement...........

I have been spending quite a lot on phones lately, so that's why I didn't wanna go for the latest model :)

bdw HTC One also has similar specs I guess

Sony submitted the S to AOSP, I think, so there might be an update outside of Sony for it. Pure Android, no Sony skin, no timescape. Worth a look.

Sony submitted the S to AOSP, I think, so there might be an update outside of Sony for it. Pure Android, no Sony skin, no timescape. Worth a look.

Any idea how to get that update? well the stock Android will be much faster than the Sony modified version, but the Timescape looks extremely nice

Any idea how to get that update? well the stock Android will be much faster than the Sony modified version, but the Timescape looks extremely nice

hmm, this maybe good news and bad news, but ...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/11/09/sony-xperia-s-android-open-source-project/

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_takes_the_lead_on_the_xperia_s_aosp_project_shows_it_off-news-5059.php

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/xperia-s-aosp-experiment-ends-with-new-direction/

But the good news is, its still happening.