• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new smartphone

Zambo

You guys get 3 to 4 days out of an S2? How?? Mine lasts for about a day and a half, maximum. But then I do use it a lot, and 3g is on most of the time.

erm.. i deactivated the auto sync thing and use only GSM and switch off wifi and data packet.

also when indoor's i use the screen brightness to a minimum.. this a SGS2 trick

hold the information (notification bar which shows the battery life and stuff) bar on top of the screen till the date disappears and move your finger along the bar to increase and decrees the brightness quickly compared to going inside the settings to adjust brightness. and i constantly clean the RAM and active apps :)

and yea, have anyone upgraded to ICS yet?

oh and a small bad point about the camera.. When video recording and moving the phone.. becouse of the continues autofocus (that cannot be switched off) the videos seems to lag a bit.

this a SGS2 trick

hold the information (notification bar which shows the battery life and stuff) bar on top of the screen till the date disappears and move your finger along the bar to increase and decrees the brightness quickly compared to going inside the settings to adjust brightness. and i constantly clean the RAM and active apps :)

Good one, did not know that.. works on my SGS.

lol if thats the case you will kill your self if you use an iPhone!

Good thing I never bothered jumping on the Apple band wagon. Having said that I do own an Ipod 5G, but thats only out of necessity since my car stereo does not support the Microsoft Zune.

Good thing I never bothered jumping on the Apple band wagon. Having said that I do own an Ipod 5G, but thats only out of necessity since my car stereo does not support the Microsoft Zune.

If you are concerned about battery life, you better not purchase an Apple phone or rather any smartphone

this a SGS2 trick

hold the information (notification bar which shows the battery life and stuff) bar on top of the screen till the date disappears and move your finger along the bar to increase and decrees the brightness quickly compared to going inside the settings to adjust brightness.

i randomly figured that out yesterday. adn you can adjust the brightness quickly if you get the 'power saving' widget, but i leave the brightness at 50%

and yea, have anyone upgraded to ICS yet?

yeah im using its cool! if you want i can get you the download link

oh and a small bad point about the camera.. When video recording and moving the phone.. becouse of the continues autofocus (that cannot be switched off) the videos seems to lag a bit.

i never had any issues with the camera its freaking awesome! have taken some awesome pics with it and video too

http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumcollection/sets/

lol Ice Cream Sandwich, Gingerbread funny names for a OS :D

you missed out cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo and honeycomb

:D

Edited by Magnum

when i was recording the night race, everytime the camera autofocus itself the frames seems to drop a bit.. thats the only issue for me so far :)

oh and yea can you give the link? :)

btw did you use any app to capture those pics or was it all natural?

Edited by Schiffer

when i was recording the night race, everytime the camera autofocus itself the frames seems to drop a bit.. thats the only issue for me so far :)

oh and yea can you give the link? :)

btw did you use any app to capture those pics or was it all natural?

you mean the camera goes out of focus?

and heres the link(official release for sri lanka, the region doesnt make any difference)

http://www.hotfile.c...P7_SLK.zip.html

bdw this update is for I9100, better check you version before updating

you know to install through odin right?

Edited by Magnum

yeap it goes out of focus when filming moving objects till it regains its focus the frames drop.

thanx mate and yeap i do :)

that happens even in compact digital cameras bro! be happy that your phone has got 1080P recording!

that happens even in compact digital cameras bro! be happy that your phone has got 1080P recording!

Thats true :) and if the autofocusing isnt messing up.. the video's are truly amazing compared to other phones :D

You clearly weren't around when the hot new thing was Donut and Eclair. Or the ever so tasty Frozen Yogurt, AKA FroYo.

yeah man I definitely wasn't aware of these OS's.. Im still using my old kashi-kabal phone that was bought in 2005 ne.. :(

ah I see, a time line of deserts. thanks for the info Peri :) I guess Im waaaaay too bbehind when it comes to mobile technology :(

Nah. Smart phones are good for people who need them. People who use them as a fashion statement.... Sorta like people who buy SLRs without any proper use for them.

Personally, I feel the tools should be adequate for the job. If you just need a phone for phone calls and sms, then no reason to bother with smartphones. But for lots of people in the IT sector, life revolves around information, and then a smartphone is a tool you need.

If you don't need one, and your current phone does the job, good for you for staying with it without wasting money to be fancy.

Besides, they break easy (most) and are obsolete in a heartbeat.

• Like 3

Personally, I feel the tools should be adequate for the job. If you just need a phone for phone calls and sms, then no reason to bother with smartphones. But for lots of people in the IT sector, life revolves around information, and then a smartphone is a tool you need.

Hehehe, my nokia 1200 and I disagree.. :D

Then you obviously don't fit into the "lots of people" :P

Tho I did make a mistake. Some people are going with the old phone and tablet approach. There is a guy on my team doing that, says he wants the tablet functionality and can't be bothered duplicating the same functions on a phone, so.. Old phone and Galaxy tab.

The beauty of Android :) so many devices so you can look for a solution that is right for you, instead of being forced to follow the path of iSheep :P

• Like 3

Had a 1100 as a replacement for my lost phone and accidentally dropped it when i was getting into the car and the rear wheel went over it, didn't know it was missing until i got to the office. Found it in the afternoon in the driveway soaked in mud water from rain. Dried it, replaced the housing; worked like a charm. Those old Nokia's are damn tough, they don't make em like that anymore :sad-smiley-066:

• Like 5

one of my friend gave me a new Chinese android phone today for couple of days. Its soo horrible that I feel like hanging a big rock to the damn thing and throwing it to the sea. the touch screen doesnt work when you need it to, its a real pain to dial a number even. you have to virtually sit on the damn thing to get it working. The display and sound quality is soo useless, the camera says 5mpxl but theres not even 1mpxl quality in it. Cant understand some menus because they are in chin-glish. the vertical horizontal screen adjust thingy get stuck some times and you have to wiggle it like crazy to get it back to the original state. these jaathiyak-janmayak nathi crapy chinese phones gives android a bad name. :sad-smiley-066:

• Like 1

Holy crap Dumbo makes an appearance after aeons. What happened? Mama and Dada grounded you for a week without internet privileges?

And getting back to topic, I recently ditched my netbook in favour of a tablet running ICS. There is some expected overlap with my Android phone, but in no way does it create any sort of redundancy, at least not in the classic way redundancy used to be addressed in tech. The new term for it is "the cloud" (tingly sound effects etc), and having your stuff at your fingertips a la dropbox style, no matter where you are and what device you're using. I find it refreshing to know that if I update a contact while I'm using my tab, i.e. linking new social networking account or whatever, it will be reflected on my phone as well. The same goes for Evernote (which find myself using quite a bit) and all my Calendars, which include holidays, sporting event schedules etc. In effect, I find my phone is more of a companion than a redundant device. Oh and the best thing is, as my tablet has no 3G, when needed I use my phone's wifi hotspot feature to access the internet on the tablet if there's no free wifi in range.

• Like 1

Holy crap Dumbo makes an appearance after aeons. What happened? Mama and Dada grounded you for a week without internet privileges?

And getting back to topic, I recently ditched my netbook in favour of a tablet running ICS. There is some expected overlap with my Android phone, but in no way does it create any sort of redundancy, at least not in the classic way redundancy used to be addressed in tech. The new term for it is "the cloud" (tingly sound effects etc), and having your stuff at your fingertips a la dropbox style, no matter where you are and what device you're using. I find it refreshing to know that if I update a contact while I'm using my tab, i.e. linking new social networking account or whatever, it will be reflected on my phone as well. The same goes for Evernote (which find myself using quite a bit) and all my Calendars, which include holidays, sporting event schedules etc. In effect, I find my phone is more of a companion than a redundant device. Oh and the best thing is, as my tablet has no 3G, when needed I use my phone's wifi hotspot feature to access the internet on the tablet if there's no free wifi in range.

Good to hear that ! Thinking of getting a tab myself...

Would you care to let us know the model of the new tab ? Samsung tab 7 may be ?

And for how much does it go for these days ?

Wanted one of these -

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-101-G9-250GB-Turbo/dp/B005MECX5Y/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1332910035&sr=8-7

http://www.amazon.com/Archos-80-G9-250GB-Turbo/dp/B005MED4J8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332910035&sr=8-2

but the reviews are worrisome. However, in no hurry, can wait for the product to mature. The new ones are supposed to be shipping with ICS now.