• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

MIBSriLanka

Even after 100% TAX free and when you can get a 2008 Model for 2.4 Mill it not get popular yet in SL..

Its not 100% Tax free. There is 15% duty, VAT etc etc. Also due to heavy demand the price in Japan is going up rapidly. Very soon prices will reach 4 Mil. There is a Prius advertised today in Auto Lanka for 3.3 Mil. 10th Anniversary model.

Even after 100% TAX free and when you can get a 2008 Model for 2.4 Mill it not get popular yet in SL..

Believe it or not initial price and fuel economy are only small considerations for smart buyers.(Focus on the word smart)

There are many more things to consider like maintaining them and repairs, and when it comes to this it will take some time for Sri Lankans to develop the expertise to repair hybrids.

how about the services and repairs in sl?

Prius is the most fuel economical car in the world. Also thats the best selling car in Japan and have overtaken the Corolla. Now you can imagine where the prius will go. Battery never fails. Then they offered 10 years warranty for 2010 model and now they talk of life time warranty. Parts are highly reliable since they make same model for US and Europe as well. A Taiwan company is setting up a highly advanced service center for Hybrids. Meanwhile Toyota Lanka and Stafford will introduce their hybrids after training their people. All big brands are coming up with Hybrid models including Mercedes, BMW, Ford etc etc. Go for Hybrids now. The present petrol car will be obsolete very soon. This is eco friendly and does 30 KM/L. wow. Check there is a ad in Auto Lanka for Prius.

This is eco friendly and does 30 KM/L. wow. Check there is a ad in Auto Lanka for Prius.

Wow, the last thing you want to believe are fuel figures given by sellers.

Usually a Prius averages about 40-45 MPG during the summer and lower during winter. Dont ask me why but thats what I know through a co worker who drives one. So if you get 40 miles for the gallon that means 64KM from about 4 Liters. Do your math thereon and draw your own conclusions thereafter.

Dont forget to take into account the less highway miles and heavy traffic in SL. 30 KM/L only becomes a JOKE as a result.

Edited by DevakaC
  • Like 1

looks like the prius fan-boys are out in force, all of what Prius R us is noting is pure speculation, if you are buying a prius now you are taking a risk, dont let the toyota badge fool you, there is no place to service the vehicle properly and the vehicle is yet to be tested high humidity and dusty environments, plus the second gen prius that many are looking at has woeful performance when accelerating, the other point is that the prius is not very fun to drive, even with the tax breaks many buyers is developed economies stay away from the hybrids

• Like 1

Prius is the most fuel economical car in the world. Also thats the best selling car in Japan and have overtaken the Corolla. Now you can imagine where the prius will go. Battery never fails. Then they offered 10 years warranty for 2010 model and now they talk of life time warranty. Parts are highly reliable since they make same model for US and Europe as well. A Taiwan company is setting up a highly advanced service center for Hybrids. Meanwhile Toyota Lanka and Stafford will introduce their hybrids after training their people. All big brands are coming up with Hybrid models including Mercedes, BMW, Ford etc etc. Go for Hybrids now. The present petrol car will be obsolete very soon. This is eco friendly and does 30 KM/L. wow. Check there is a ad in Auto Lanka for Prius.

you're the dude who was trying to sell Hybrids on the forum arent you? So excuse us for not believing the stuff you say whole-heartedly :P

• Like 1

I think similar kind of argument would have been there If AutoLanka had present in 18th century. Most of the members would have said,

NO.. NO... petrol/diesal engines.... Steam engine is more than enough for me... everybody know about the steam engine and I've no problm is getting it repaired. we have plenty of water available freely....... why should I pay for petrol then... stop this nonsense. not all the countries have crude oil. they will not buy this....

Ha ha.. you are trying really hard to sell. :lol:

Ever heard of modern diesels capable of returning better mpg over Prius? Battery never fails? "Talk about" lifetime warranty on battery? Thats a dream.

It does 30 KM/L all the time just like that?

Im sure that Hybrids will get popular in SL in due time, but you dont have to rush things and give false expectations for the general public eh? :D

Edited by MrCat
  • Like 1

Wow, the last thing you want to believe are fuel figures given by sellers.

Usually a Prius averages about 40-45 MPG during the summer and lower during winter. Dont ask me why but thats what I know through a co worker who drives one. So if you get 40 miles for the gallon that means 64KM from about 4 Liters. Do your math thereon and draw your own conclusions thereafter.

Dont forget to take into account the less highway miles and heavy traffic in SL. 30 KM/L only becomes a JOKE as a result.

Please study the vehicle before you comment. I use a Prius. There are enough users in USA along who has achieved around 80 MPG in city. Normal highway condition it works only 40 to 45 MPG but in Heavy traffic roads like in sri lanka it does well. I think you probably dont know when you run slow or stopped for traffic engine is off and it runs on battery. If you run on Highway consumption it consumes extra petrol since go fast and during that period it charges the battery. Thats why it does well in Sri Lanka than in US or Japan. Also in USA they have developed a unit that converts normal Prius to 100MPG. I dont know how it works since I have not tried. In Honda Civic Hybrid it works the other way about. In traffic it consumes more petrol since Engine does not go off and in High way it does better. All in all there is not vehicle to match prius fuel consumption. If you look for most fuel economical car in the world in internet, Prius will appear on top.

Ha ha.. you are trying really hard to sell. :lol:

Ever heard of modern diesels capable of returning better mpg over Prius? Battery never fails? "Talk about" lifetime warranty on battery? Thats a dream.

It does 30 KM/L all the time just like that?

Im sure that Hybrids will get popular in SL in due time, but you dont have to rush things and give false expectations for the general public eh? :D

http://www.a123systems.com/hymotion/products/N5_range_extender

I think there are a few diesels in existence which already have better quoted MPG than any hybrid and that's just fact so lets stay away from sensationalist claims such as "its the most economical car in the world".

I think we have to look at it from the context of Einstein's theory that energy is never lost, only transferred.

So how are hybrids more efficient, well they lose less energy in energy transference as the electric drive mechanism is more efficient than a conventional gear box. It also does not waste energy when the car is not moving. But conventional car's have also implemented "stop start" technology and modern gear boxes are a lot more efficient than they used to be, and diesel technology in particular have evolved quite a lot to the point that some manufacturers now sell more diesel's compared to petrol, and we have conventional petrol car's increasing breaking under the 99g/Km CO2 emissions barrier (Volvo Drive-E technology for example and BMW efficient dynamics)which the old prius (pre 2009) could not achieve !

So you see, the argument is not so straight forward as some might have you believe.

I think good old JC proved this in one of the episodes. Also because of the batteries and the compounds used the manufacturing process actually harms the environment more that conventional motors.

One of the reason why Hybrids have become so popular is because of legislative reasons and tax incentives bought in by governments. For example the latest incarnation of the Prius is exempt from the London congestion charge.

But it is an emerging technology, there are many benefits and especially in a country like ours where full electrics are probably not feasible in the short term, hybrids are a nice compromise. But lets make our purchases informed, with open eyes, and after evaluation all the pros and cons and not based on mere propaganda !

Edited by The Don
  • Like 1

Are u the one who put up the ad :angry-smiley-048:

• Like 1

Didn't clarksons V8 Jag diesel get around 60MPG driving recklessly.so you are boasting about 20mgp more?.As someone said the hybrids will settle in SL in due course,no need to push it here just to sell your car.

Either you start posting unbiased or please go away.That goes to all of you out there who are trying to make a quick buck out of the forum.This is a place to share knowledge and advice,Don't ruin it for the rest of us.

• Like 1

Didn't clarksons V8 Jag diesel get around 60MPG driving recklessly.so you are boasting about 20mgp more?.As someone said the hybrids will settle in SL in due course,no need to push it here just to sell your car.

Machan the newer "clean diesels" like the jetta actually get far better KMPLs than hybrids and don't sacrifice power for fuel efficency. They don't require battery pack changes either and are a whole lot cleaner than the older diesels, actually. It's actually just as clean as a petrol allion. As always someone here picks something up and thinks it's a magical development. Truth be told if they would reduce the tax on new diesels we would all save quite a bit on fuel, not to mention the saved foreign exchange...

Edited by jdnet

19-21 kmpl..duh..even these buddy vans or marutis can match prius fuel efficiency.

BUT since we buy all the garbage Japs have to throw out and soon most of the garbage japs have to throw out will be hybrids, its a matter of time prius makes its presence on our roads. Maybe it will be "THE" car, like AE110 with all the essentials like nickel handles, center antenna et al :P:)

Please study the vehicle before you comment. I use a Prius. There are enough users in USA along who has achieved around 80 MPG in city. Normal highway condition it works only 40 to 45 MPG but in Heavy traffic roads like in sri lanka it does well. I think you probably dont know when you run slow or stopped for traffic engine is off and it runs on battery. If you run on Highway consumption it consumes extra petrol since go fast and during that period it charges the battery. Thats why it does well in Sri Lanka than in US or Japan. Also in USA they have developed a unit that converts normal Prius to 100MPG. I dont know how it works since I have not tried. In Honda Civic Hybrid it works the other way about. In traffic it consumes more petrol since Engine does not go off and in High way it does better. All in all there is not vehicle to match prius fuel consumption. If you look for most fuel economical car in the world in internet, Prius will appear on top.

So what your saying is the more traffic in a country the better the Prius does in fuel eh? Never had heard of that claim.

What makes you think Japan, US or even UK have lesser traffic than Colombo?? Sadly mistaken.

From what I read some people recorded the highest optimum mileage only in long highway runs on the prius. Of course now if you drive it like you stole it then you wouldnt get anywhere close to 45MPG.

All in all your claim of 30km/l remains blatantly biased! Your telling us your Prius does 75MPG. That is well over the green limit. That is SPACE! At a stand still I have seen the trip meter indicates 99MPG, your pretty close being 75!

To me your more of a Google guru than a person who really owns one. Your more or less starting to sound like a guerrilla marketer too.

To me your more of a Google guru than a person who really owns one. Your more or less starting to sound like a guerrilla marketer too.

He is trying to sell us a Prius. (right now his own).. But if you remember he's the guy who said to contact him and that he can import a prius for you for cheap. :rolleyes: That post was removes (naturally).. And I bet the one in the classified is his too.

The fundamental flaw in his logic of "when there's more traffic you get more kmpl" is that he doesnt realize that when he's stuck in traffic, he wont be GOING ANYWHERE to clock those 'kms'. :D

He is trying to sell us a Prius. (right now his own).. But if you remember he's the guy who said to contact him and that he can import a prius for you for cheap. :rolleyes: That post was removes (naturally).. And I bet the one in the classified is his too.

The fundamental flaw in his logic of "when there's more traffic you get more kmpl" is that he doesnt realize that when he's stuck in traffic, he wont be GOING ANYWHERE to clock those 'kms'. :D

:lol: Exactly!

The bloke must be pretty mad at us for breaking his lil marketing ploy.

These mileage figures given by sellers are utterly biased. Most of them calculate their mileage per Liter figures on their drive from the port to the car sale/or even to their garden or garage in case of Personal importers, which in most cases situated in an around colombo meaning less than 10-15 Kms.

Aaaaand we have a CRZ on the AL classifieds quoting 30-40kmpl efficency.... :lol:

Here we go! :D

Bloody insane and annoying these kmpl quotes are eh? :angry:

As somebody here said before, when monkeys keep looking for damn good peanuts, this is what they pretend to offer.. :D