• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Prius

MIBSriLanka

Dude, This kind of stuff is more suitable to post on "Post Whorring" thread

Suggestion,

It is better if the moderators can evaluate a thread when initialized and link it to "post whoring". the originators can be notified about the change.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Released in 1998 how many even remember this, just 15 years later???????

toyotaprius911777.jpg

toyotaprius2834726.jpg

1st Gen Prius

all of them are running with electric traction disconnected as a normal petrol car.

May be the 2nd and 3rd gens too would be that in another 10 years or so!!!!!!

As for me the aesthetics never appealed to me in any of the Prius models. They have been downright ugly IMO. Added to that knowing what problems it could develop such as found at

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=toyota+prius+problems&ei=utf-8&fr=b1ie7

Prius is a definite NO for me.

Edited by CJ5

• 2 weeks later...
There are few of these in Sri Lankan roads and if I'm not mistaken, all of them are running with electric traction disconnected as a normal petrol car.

Most of the hybrid fanboys don't even know that this existed!

You are mistaken. The 'hybrid' part of the Prius drivetrain (electric motor and hybrid battery) cannot simply be disconnected from the ICE to run the Prius as a normal petrol car.

There are few of these in Sri Lankan roads and if I'm not mistaken, all of them are running with electric traction disconnected as a normal petrol car.

Most of the hybrid fanboys don't even know that this existed!

There was one of these for sale recently....owner was convinced it was a special model Corolla. :)

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Californikan" data-cid="237218" data-time="1365351688"><p>

<br />

You are mistaken. The 'hybrid' part of the Prius drivetrain (electric motor and hybrid battery) cannot simply be disconnected from the ICE to run the Prius as a normal petrol car.<br />

.<br />

.</p></blockquote>

bullshit. come to sri lanka i'll show you some first gen priuses running as petrol cars.

this is your problem. u r theoretically smart. practically stupid.

• Like 5

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Californikan" data-cid="237218" data-time="1365351688"><p>

<br />

You are mistaken. The 'hybrid' part of the Prius drivetrain (electric motor and hybrid battery) cannot simply be disconnected from the ICE to run the Prius as a normal petrol car.<br />

.<br />

.</p></blockquote>

bullshit. come to sri lanka i'll show you some first gen priuses running as petrol cars.

this is your problem. u r theoretically smart. practically stupid.

Not only are you trying to argue about something you know little about, you're being rude and acting like an ass when it was politely pointed out that the information you are posting is wrong.

Again, because the electric motor, hybrid battery and electronics in the Prius are so deeply intergrated with the internal combustion engine, the hybrid part of the Prius drivetrain cannot simply be disconnected from the ICE to run the Prius as a normal petrol car.

Many if not all local 1st gen Prii in SL that you wrongly assume are running with the electric traction disconnected actually are running with Corolla engines and transmissions. It's not a difficult conversion to do, and there's at least one workshop (in Piliyandala) that does the conversion.

Edited by Californikan

It was probably a converted 1st gen Prius with a Corolla engine and tranmission.

Yes it was a 1Gen Prius with a Corolla drive train and engine...the guy was the second owner...just that it was funny the guy was convinced it was an actual Corolla special edition. Either the guy was duped in to believing it when he bought it or is going through a severe case of denial :).

Many if not all local 1st gen Prii in SL that you wrongly assume are running with the electric traction disconnected actually are running with Corolla engines and transmissions. It's not a difficult conversion to do, and there's at least one workshop (in Piliyandala) that does the conversion.

So ultimately we end up with the hybrid cars being converted back to conventional petrol engines. 1st gen Priuses now, soon will be followed by the 2nd and 3rd gen Priuses and the other hybrid models too. So much for the future of hybrid cars in Sri Lanka!!!

Humm,

I went through whole thread and what i cant understand is why most peoples (Anti-Hybrid) are blaming or insulting to hybrids. What's the point there?

I think hybrids are good solution for current and future situations. Also i think the technology is well proven.

Edited by carbuddy

Humm,

I went through whole thread and what i cant understand is why most peoples (Anti-Hybrid) are blaming or insulting to hybrids. What's the point there?

I think hybrids are good solution for current and future situations. Also i think the technology is well proven.

If you have read the thread you will not need to ask that question :) You are entitled to your opinion, just don't expect everybody else to agree with it!

Humm,

I don't hate hybrids, I just don't like Prius and those prius drivers who drive slowly clogging up the road :sport-smiley-005:

I actually love cars like Nissan Fuga/Infiniti M35H( its super fast) or Camry, Crown hybrid

I don't hate hybrids, I just don't like Prius and those prius drivers who drive slowly clogging up the road :sport-smiley-005:

Have to agree with this. The problem here with not the Hybrids, but the drivers. They keep the middle lane of the road & driving like the owners of the road making a huge traffic. :angry-smiley-030:

Have to agree with this. The problem here with not the Hybrids, but the drivers. They keep the middle lane of the road & driving like the owners of the road making a huge traffic. :angry-smiley-030:

Why not push HE to amend his recent decree on design of all future roads to include a separate lane for hybrids in addition to pavements for pedestrians and the new speed limits? :pardon:

Edited by Rumesh88

Why not push HE to amend his recent decree on design of all future roads to include a separate lane for hybrids in addition to pavements for pedestrians and the new speed limits? :pardon:

We barely have roads with more than1 lane on each side, those pedestrian and hybrid lanes are just a dream :D

Ha ha.. Nice idea though. :sport-smiley-004:

I actually love cars like Nissan Fuga/Infiniti M35H( its super fast) or Camry, Crown hybrid

got to agree here. drove a friend's GS450H. surprisingly quick and responsive for such a heavy car!

Edited by RWD

So ultimately we end up with the hybrid cars being converted back to conventional petrol engines. 1st gen Priuses now, soon will be followed by the 2nd and 3rd gen Priuses and the other hybrid models too. So much for the future of hybrid cars in Sri Lanka!!!

The 1st gen Prius had some issues. The 2nd and 3rd gen Prius are globally considered to be very reliable cars.