• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Brake Disc Rotors How Often To Change Them

poscher

Want to clarify a small issue here.

I understand that most people in Sri Lanka don't think that they need to change disk rotors. Usually what people here do is they wait until there disk is fully worn out or they stay till the disk is uneven to get it faced (resurfaced). If completely worn out they buy second hand ones.

I know for a fact that many people in Europe change disc rotors every time they change pads or at least change every other time. However this could be a reason that they use heavy braking, specially on highways, as braking while speeding wears the pads much more.

Even in Malaysia, Indonesia too people change disk rotors at least every 3rd time they change the pads.

Braking in a vehicle is the one of them most important things, and one that there could not be any chances taken.

So my question is, why Sri Lankan's don't change disk rotors more often? hence the reason why spare parts shops newer stock them.

I know for a fact that many people in Europe change disc rotors every time they change pads or at least change every other time. However this could be a reason that they use heavy braking, specially on highways, as braking while speeding wears the pads much more.

Even in Malaysia, Indonesia too people change disk rotors at least every 3rd time they change the pads.

I find that extremely hard to believe.

Break discs have a recommended minimal thickness to them. until that point is reached, it's perfectly safe to let it wear down with regular use or resurface as necessary.

Mind you resurfacing is not necessary unless there is uneven wear on the surface.

Checkout almost any factory repair manual and you can see these minimal thickness values for rotors

The rotors of my CE110 were worn out and brake pads were start to fell off after 10000~12000 km!

I replaced both with used rotors but with very good thickness and they had original pads as well!

You can buy original rotors for CE110 Rs 20,000/= X 2!!!!!!!

Actually I think it says it on the back of some rotors too.

yep. i think my XR has them etched on...can't remember seeing it on the truck though. But i usually keep a very close eye on the bike disc thickness for obvious reasons :P

I know for a fact that many people in Europe change disc rotors every time they change pads or at least change every other time.

Wonder if these same people also keep changing their auto gearboxes and engines also in similar fashion?

• Like 1

Want to clarify a small issue here.

I understand that most people in Sri Lanka don't think that they need to change disk rotors. Usually what people here do is they wait until there disk is fully worn out or they stay till the disk is uneven to get it faced (resurfaced). If completely worn out they buy second hand ones.

Braking in a vehicle is the one of them most important things, and one that there could not be any chances taken.

So my question is, why Sri Lankan's don't change disk rotors more often? hence the reason why spare parts shops newer stock them.

Are you nucking futs??

Apart from upgrades, the only time rotors are replaced is when either they're too warped or when they're too worn i.e. gone beyond the recommended thickness. And with normal use, that is quite literally years, if not tens of years. I was pretty anal about the brakes in my old van (Townaces have shitty brakes which just get shittier when hot) and even after 330,000kms both rotors still had plenty of material on them.

I think the OPs post does have some relevance. In Europe particularly if you maintain your vehicle through a dealership, your rotors will get changed once your vehicle reaches a particular mileage as part of standard maintenance. They could always be changed earlier due to warping but generally speaking rotors are changed at regular intervals. I don't think brake rotor refacing is done any more because replacement rotors are not that expensive (of course the cost is always relative).

if I'm replacing pads, even if the rotor isn't warped, I always get a very light cut done so the surface is perfect for a new pad to bed into. The initial heat cycles/bedding process is critical and if done wrong could cause issues like weak performance/squealing/etc. sometimes that may require a resurface and re-bedding. If your rotor is glazed all the way around with grooves running the circumference, I'd definitely get them cut before new pads (again, due to the bedding procedure with new pads). Also, as a practice, I don't like resurfacing rotors more than once since it's rare that a rotor isn't even slightly warped after use and it takes a lot of material off to bring it back within tolerable runout/etc. ... and all that material being removed means the rotor has less material to absorb/dissipate the heat and means it would warps earlier/faster than the last time ... hope that makes sense.

Edited by Mean Green z28

poscher,

Read the following link about brake rotors.

http://www.aa1car.co...rake_rotors.htm

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Ahh... looks like you are going through that site.. :) Its very edcuative to all of us.