• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Emission Test Failed, High Co Level In 5A-Fe Engine

djpra123

Question

Dear Experts,

This is the place which I usually lookup for tips and to get trusted advices on automotive throughout the years and finally time has come for me to put a major issue which I'm facing now that requires your help greatly...

I have a Toyota Sprinter Marino 1993 model 5A-FE (EFI) which failed 2 emission tests done in DriveGr**n. The attachment has the latest results. The problem is high CO levels in both idle and 2500 RPM. Car normally does around 9km/l city and I thought its normal for a manual Marino.

I have done a Engine tuneup in J*kis 7 months back and they did clean the throttle body, plugs were not replaced but adjusted and they cleaned the injectors just using the carb cleaner ( didn't attached to that measuring machine and checked even thought I was charged for it it seems :( ) . Small water drips started to appear from the silencer n made me happy so didn't go after it.

Now after like 8000kms when the emission test initially failed I showed my car to a person in Vidyala junction and he figured out that the Overflow to the petrol tank had a blockage and fixed it (some small particle was inside the metal tube near to the tank). No check engine light to show any sensor error. Also he did a self diagnose to identify if there is a sensor issue and non has problems. He checked the spark plugs and said the mixture is rich and the plugs are oki, and checked the throttle body which only had small amount of carbon. So he suggested not to do a full tuneup again. So I went for the test this Saturday and it failed with the below results for the second time.

post-49612-0-16327200-1346033979_thumb.j

Guys, What can be the issue here. I have used octane 95, VIC air filter, mobil 40 as well.

I have no option but to take this to a place in Raththanapitiya which has emission equipment and they charge 2500 just to find the fault and asked to come on a weekday which I cannot allocate due to circumstances.

1. Does this sounds as a fault in O2 sensor?

2. Do I need to replace the spark plugs?

3. Can this be a Dalco issue? Or to check the Dalco wiring and adjust Dalco?

Greatly appreciate your help.

post-49612-0-38110700-1346035064_thumb.j

Edited by djpra123

Dear Experts,

This is the place which I usually lookup for tips and to get trusted advices on automotive throughout the years and finally time has come for me to put a major issue which I'm facing now that requires your help greatly...

I have a Toyota Sprinter Marino 1993 model 5A-FE (EFI) which failed 2 emission tests done in DriveGr**n. The attachment has the latest results. The problem is high CO levels in both idle and 2500 RPM. Car normally does around 9km/l city and I thought its normal for a manual Marino.

I have done a Engine tuneup in J*kis 7 months back and they did clean the throttle body, plugs were not replaced but adjusted and they cleaned the injectors just using the carb cleaner ( didn't attached to that measuring machine and checked even thought I was charged for it it seems :( ) . Small water drips started to appear from the silencer n made me happy so didn't go after it.

Now after like 8000kms when the emission test initially failed I showed my car to a person in Vidyala junction and he figured out that the Overflow to the petrol tank had a blockage and fixed it (some small particle was inside the metal tube near to the tank). No check engine light to show any sensor error. Also he did a self diagnose to identify if there is a sensor issue and non has problems. He checked the spark plugs and said the mixture is rich and the plugs are oki, and checked the throttle body which only had small amount of carbon. So he suggested not to do a full tuneup again. So I went for the test this Saturday and it failed with the below results for the second time.

post-49612-0-16327200-1346033979_thumb.j

Guys, What can be the issue here. I have used octane 95, VIC air filter, mobil 40 as well.

I have no option but to take this to a place in Raththanapitiya which has emission equipment and they charge 2500 just to find the fault and asked to come on a weekday which I cannot allocate due to circumstances.

Rich mixtures normally give high CO contents. Have you said that you have changed the Ait Filter which is the

main culprit of rich mixtures ?.

The Water dropout from the exaust does not make any sense other than your engine is running at cool without

any miss (as you/driver feel).

Thanks Rohnd for the feedback. Yes I have changed it to a new VIC filter. But the CO level is still close to 8.000. Since the overflow was blocked could it made damage to the injectors? Can this be a Dalco issue like ignition is not happening at the correct time? (Pickup of the vehicle is very good and smooth..) :wacko2:

Tnx for the link Sylvi. It gave a heads up regarding the rich mixture.

"Rich fuel mixture. High CO2levels are often caused by high carbon monoxide levels due to a weak ignition or a rich air/fuel mixture. There are numerous causes of a rich fuel mixture. A contaminated oxygen sensor, leaky injectors, and excessive fuel pressure are some common causes of richness to the mixture"

I think this is not a DIY thing for me. Can you recommend someone or a place with equipment to sort this out? I don't like to bribe the guys in one of the Test centers since I'm the one getting hammered due to the fuel waste and like to keep things as GREEN as possible :mosking:

• Like 1

Thanks Sylvi, found his number through the forum 112694223 (just to help any other looking for him). I called Mr Mario as well. One of my frnd recommend Ansu Lanka. Have anyone got any experience visiting this place (price/service expericene etc)? I might visit one of these places and come back with the results :sad-smiley-067:

dipra,

Try with Mr.Dammika fernando at Kotta road Idon't have his telephone number,or you can contact Mr, Mario Dias No, 60 Nawala Road Tel:2582342/0777380771.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• Like 1

Hi guys.. Emission test result came today as "PASS". The CO level is 0.023. I am really happy! Mr Dhammika is truly a class act. He is the only person I saw who knew exactly what to do regarding this. I had to wait almost a week to get an appointment but it is worth it (he didn't ruin my engine or waste lot of money for unnecessary replacements). Cost me Rs2500 including scans/emission tests etc etc which other ppl charge just to find the fault.

But as per his advice I have to replace the Lambda sensor (two wire type) and he said its hard to find. A used/second-hand one would be 6500 as per his comment and will take time to get.

Does anyone know a place to buy this 2 wire lambda sensor and is it worth to go for a brand new one which might not be with agents too?? (I have read previous post but dnt think they answer this question)

Tnx and keep up the good work guys...

Hi guys.. Emission test result came today as "PASS". The CO level is 0.023. I am really happy! Mr Dhammika is truly a class act. He is the only person I saw who knew exactly what to do regarding this. I had to wait almost a week to get an appointment but it is worth it (he didn't ruin my engine or waste lot of money for unnecessary replacements). Cost me Rs2500 including scans/emission tests etc etc which other ppl charge just to find the fault.

But as per his advice I have to replace the Lambda sensor (two wire type) and he said its hard to find. A used/second-hand one would be 6500 as per his comment and will take time to get.

Does anyone know a place to buy this 2 wire lambda sensor and is it worth to go for a brand new one which might not be with agents too?? (I have read previous post but dnt think they answer this question)

To be honest 2 wire lambda sensors of that genre are not difficult to find at all. I think the type is called Zirconia and is a generic lambda sensor. Take the lambda sensor out and you should be able to find a replacement from Panchikawatte (check out Toyota Lanka as well). If you are buying a non Toyota branded product (which will save you some money) go for a Denso original or NTK (this is the oxygen sensor brand of NGK).

I bought a genuine Densor replacement for my car for about 9000 but you get generic brands for a lot less.

Don't replace oxygen sensors with used items. They are like spark plugs and have a finite life, and a good oxygen sensor will earn its cost in fuel efficiency so its a no brainer really.......

Edited by The Don

Tnx Don. Was thinking not to take it out alone but to replace with the exhaust silencer part completely (since he mentioned about some bracket issue...) Don't think its eazy to pull it out from exhaust as well. I have not seen a lambda sensor before or have no idea how to check :speechless-smiley-004:But as you said I too don't wish to go for a used one. Can u please direct me to a place (even the place where u bought it) ?

I will call TL and ask if they got it or not (Original Toyota must be too expensive n only putting that sensor might be like renewing a single part of an old computer.. useless :to_pick_ones_nose3:).

Tnx Don. Was thinking not to take it out alone but to replace with the exhaust silencer part completely (since he mentioned about some bracket issue...) Don't think its eazy to pull it out from exhaust as well. I have not seen a lambda sensor before or have no idea how to check :speechless-smiley-004:But as you said I too don't wish to go for a used one. Can u please direct me to a place (even the place where u bought it) ?

I will call TL and ask if they got it or not (Original Toyota must be too expensive n only putting that sensor might be like renewing a single part of an old computer.. useless :to_pick_ones_nose3:).

No as I said before a lambda sensor is like a spark plug. It has a finite life and needs to be changed periodically. Changing it is actually one of the best ways of improving your fuel economy if your car is old and the sensor has not been changed in a while.

It can be a little tricky to get the sensor out but you can do it. In my car there is another sensor (exhaust high temperature sensor) apart from the lambda sensor which was damaged and my mechanic took the silencer off from the exhaust manifold and took it to a lathe shop and got it drilled out which took a while.

In your car they should be able to get it out from the exhaust manifold without taking the manifold out. You do need a certain tool for this (so inquire from TL the cost of replacing it with the labour as well so that you can compare with other places).

The lambda sensor looks like a spark plug (though it does not have a spark bit at the end) and if you look at your exhaust manifold you'll be able to pick it out.

I bought mine from a Denso stockist online (I live in the UK) and what I did was found the original Mitsubishi part number for it (my car is a Mitsubishi) and then used it to find the Denso compatible one. Douglas and Sons I believe are the agents for NTK the other big brand in Lambda sensors and they might be able to use their catalogue to find the correct part if NTK does it.

I can direct you to my SL mechanic if yours starts to complain about not being able to extract the lambda sensor easily.

Edited by The Don
  • Like 1

For sure Mr Dhammika is the person to go for engine tune-ups. I found his contact and used to go there, later even my father was going there for engine tune-ups as he do it professionally and perfectly. he also recommends places (garages, lathe shops, etc..) if there are any other things need to be repaired.

Many thanks for your replies guys.

I called D&S today and they said they only got Nissan NTK sensors. Called G.S. Spares and they said they have only new Toyota model sensors. Finally called TL and they said only 1 sensor available and thats 23000 something.. !!

Finally decided to call Vikasitha and they asked me to bring it and they got stocks so will be able to find one. I have no idea other than to take it out and find it through second hand market if the actual thing cost that much in brand new condition.

Also found this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oxygen-sensor-Lambda-Sensor-2-Wire-Toyota-Mazda-Renault-Clio-Rapid-/251001194495?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a70d647ff&vxp=mtr

THought to give a try since its just $23

Many thanks for your replies guys.

I called D&S today and they said they only got Nissan NTK sensors. Called G.S. Spares and they said they have only new Toyota model sensors. Finally called TL and they said only 1 sensor available and thats 23000 something.. !!

Finally decided to call Vikasitha and they asked me to bring it and they got stocks so will be able to find one. I have no idea other than to take it out and find it through second hand market if the actual thing cost that much in brand new condition.

Also found this : http://www.ebay.com/...0d647ff&vxp=mtr

THought to give a try since its just $23

Can you try to find the Toyota part number for your sensor please. This is the same sort of sensor I've got spare as well. I'm not in the country but let me see if my family knows the whereabouts of where it is. If it can be found you can have it at cost (around £20 it cost me with shipping) if you like. I didn't use it because the part I needed was the exhaust high temp sensor not the oxygen sensor (goes to show you need to know the correct name of the part and none of my mechanics did and the penny dropped when we lifted the car to fit it and the bracket for the high temp sensor is a lot smaller than one for an oxygen sensor, and then I went to UM, they had a look at the catalogue and told me what it was. They also quoted 24K for the high temp sensor which I have to buy from them since even my other sources quote the same price).

These sensors don't have the adaptors so you have to cut the existing adaptor and connect it to the wires (not a difficult job) but I think the connector is standard and the Denso one I got came with the adaptor which I've confirmed is the same as the original in my car.

Hi Don, Thanks for all the effort. I'm planing to go to JUKI or some place this Saturday morning and get it removed. Sadly that's the only option I see to get the part number. May I know a quick way to contact you once I find the sensor's part number? My email is XXXX@ gmail. com so please drop your contact details. I can pay you for the cost without any issue and I consider it a big help.

May I know your car model details? This is NOT the upstream oxygen sensors that sits on the exhaust manifold *BEFORE* the catalytic converter (which is having 1 wire)? Its a headache to find the part numbers online without the owners manual :(

Also a mechanic said if I remove it I will not be able to use the car until I able to find the correct part or else I have to close the bracket which is now empty.

Edited by djpra123

Hi Don, Thanks for all the effort. I'm planing to go to JUKI or some place this Saturday morning and get it removed. Sadly that's the only option I see to get the part number. May I know a quick way to contact you once I find the sensor's part number? My email is prag123@ gmail. com so please drop your contact details. I can pay you for the cost without any issue and I consider it a big help.

May I know your car model details? This is NOT the upstream oxygen sensors that sits on the exhaust manifold *BEFORE* the catalytic converter (which is having 1 wire)? Its a headache to find the part numbers online without the owners manual :(

Also a mechanic said if I remove it I will not be able to use the car until I able to find the correct part or else I have to close the bracket which is now empty.

Well you can find the part number from Toyota Lanka but they might not give it to you over the phone. I asked the gent at Unimo nicely and he said he wasn't supposed to but gave it to me anyway. The good thing about having the part number is its easier to be sure about the compatible part you get.

You can't match oxygen sensors just by looking at it though the colours of the wires gives some indicator.

My car is a 1993 Mitsubishi Mirage, but most cars of this era used zirconia type oxygen sensors and mine only has one in the exhaust manifold. If its the one after the catalytic converter you need to be sure what type of sensor it is. Mine is a 2 wire sensor but it turned out not to be an oxygen sensor in the standard sense of the term. My car runs without that sensor with a warning light lit up in the dashboard and currently is blanked out using a bolt while I get the replacement (22K from Unimo).

And don't post email addresses online. Drop me a pm.

Edited by The Don

Guys,

This is the sensor (the only wired part I found after the Oxygen sensor in the engine Manifold) Chek the attachment. Its after the catalytic convertor and must be call the downstream oxygen sensor. I saw a serial number on the braket as 89425-12258 dont know if this the part number.

1. Guys in Juki said if it passed the test and does good milage why replace it. Rather than spending money on the sensor I could do other things which needs attention. What if I dont replace this?

2. This sensor looks very skinny than the ones I have seen on the internet and it has two wires. And this was very easily pulled out too. You can see how it was fixed after the catelytic convertor. Is there anyway to find this? Don does this match yours?

3. Could I get the whole part with the Cate.converter from the second hand market and would it cost a huge amount? Will it be viable to spend on an 18+ yr old car

I'm confused if I do not replace this, my milage will go down.

thanks for all your support guys.. Do let me know.

post-49612-0-06595100-1347154717_thumb.j

post-49612-0-44259500-1347154814_thumb.j

Edited by djpra123

Guys,

This is the sensor (the only wired part I found after the Oxygen sensor in the engine Manifold) Chek the attachment. Its after the catalytic convertor and must be call the downstream oxygen sensor. I saw a serial number on the braket as 89425-12258 dont know if this the part number.

1. Guys in Juki said if it passed the test and does good milage why replace it. Rather than spending money on the sensor I could do other things which needs attention. What if I dont replace this?

2. This sensor looks very skinny than the ones I have seen on the internet and it has two wires. And this was very easily pulled out too. You can see how it was fixed after the catelytic convertor. Is there anyway to find this? Don does this match yours?

3. Could I get the whole part with the Cate.converter from the second hand market and would it cost a huge amount? Will it be viable to spend on an 18+ yr old car

I'm confused if I do not replace this, my milage will go down.

thanks for all your support guys.. Do let me know.

Sorry I did not reply this before. This is not the sensor I have. I think this is called an exhaust high temperature sensor and its only function is emissions control. Most cars of your genre can function even with the sensor faulty.

Hi guys I know that this thread is old but im posting my issue anyway

My father has a Toyota Corolla AE92 (5AFE engine ) recently we serviced the throttle body and injectors using the carb cleaner. and a small port from inlet manifold to some kind of vacuum operated valve connected to throttle body was clogged with carbon and we were able to clean that to.

car is now smoking and plugs are black and idle is ruff.

I changed the PCV valve and checked coolant temp sensor. other than that we didn't do anything. 

If i'm going to do anything next what should I do... any clue is appreciated

thanks in advance 

On 8/26/2012 at 7:38 PM, djpra123 said:

Dear Experts,

Emission.jpg

Emission.jpg

NEW SPARK LEADS.

2.YES

3.MAYBE.

+

You must understand that this is a job for a trained professional . so get the car seen by one,..i've replied on what to do to an ae91 COROLLA WITH SIMILAR ISSUES BEFORE.

Good luck

Edited by Twin Turbo

Old Thread. ^_^

41 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

NEW SPARK LEADS.

2.YES

3.MAYBE.

+

You must understand that this is a job for a trained professional . so get the car seen by one,..i've replied on what to do to an ae91 COROLLA WITH SIMILAR ISSUES BEFORE.

Good luck

Help with this ;

1 hour ago, chinthaka5 said:

My father has a Toyota Corolla AE92 (5AFE engine ) recently we serviced the throttle body and injectors using the carb cleaner. and a small port from inlet manifold to some kind of vacuum operated valve connected to throttle body was clogged with carbon and we were able to clean that to.

I changed the PCV valve and checked coolant temp sensor. other than that we didn't do anything. 

thanks in advance 

8 minutes ago, WCW said:

Old Thread. ^_^

Help with this ;

last reply was in 2013 so I thought no one will turn up and reply.. :-) thanks for the quick reply. 

I noticed in the thread that Mr.Dammika fernando is a good mechanic to do the job so planning to go and see him today if I get an appointment. 

Do you know a good mechanic or a place which is reasonable close to Kirulapana??

3 hours ago, chinthaka5 said:

thanks in advance 

Well did you clean the throttle body while it was still fixed to the engine? If so, then all the gunk dissolved may have ended up inside the Idle Air Control Valve. That is not the way to do it because in your case the IACV is located underneath the throttle. That "some kind of vacuum operated valve" could be the all important MAP sensor. What you should do next is to take it to a good tune up guy and get the whole thing properly done again.