• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Engine Heating

Ek3 Ferio

Guys, this happened today night when i was driving home. I suddenly noticed increased of the heater meter. This is the first time for last two years saw that engine heat has increased upto 3/4 of the meter. After i came home i noticed that extra tank is full of water and it is over flowing. And after a few minutes the engine stoped, the top rubber hose from radiator to engine head has squeezed. I checked radiator fan worked fine.

Just for your information, since last month i noticed some strange water level drop downs and ups. One day morning extra tank was empty. Then i filled up to the max level. Then next day morning it was about to over flow.

And a few weeks back there was water level drops in extra tank noticed and i did a preasure test as well and there was no leak in the radiator.

Experts i need your help before taking to the mechanic.

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

Check the radiator cap as the first thing. However, drive it carefully as I smell some pressure annomalies in the system, since you said the top hose was squeezed.

My main suspect is a blocked thermostat valve as water hasn't flowed out properly from the thermostat to radiator (top hose was empty / squeezed).

Thanks for the replies guys, today morning the hose was just like yeterday night and it became normal after i opened the radiator cap. And the water level in the extra tank was over flowing just like yesterday night. But after i opened the radiator cap i got to know that radiator is some what empty, I had to pour 300ml+ water into it. Then I removed the extra tank and reduced the its water level to max level also.

By checking the cap it was bit hard to press. Then I had another cap removed from a recon car so i closed the radiator with it for now, and started the engine. kept until heat level goes to middle level. fan switched on as normal and temp was not increased anymore. Then I drove the car about 10km to office and didnt noticed any increase of the temp level, but very slightly quick up and down movement of the needle noticed.

Thanks for the replies guys, today morning the hose was just like yeterday night and it became normal after i opened the radiator cap. And the water level in the extra tank was over flowing just like yesterday night. But after i opened the radiator cap i got to know that radiator is some what empty, I had to pour 300ml+ water into it. Then I removed the extra tank and reduced the its water level to max level also.

By checking the cap it was bit hard to press. Then I had another cap removed from a recon car so i closed the radiator with it for now, and started the engine. kept until heat level goes to middle level. fan switched on as normal and temp was not increased anymore. Then I drove the car about 10km to office and didnt noticed any increase of the temp level, but very slightly quick up and down movement of the needle noticed.

these quick ups and downs of the needle indicates erractic and non-constant water flow goes passing the coolant temp. sender.

first of all check the rad bro..

I also had some heating issue... if I go more than 2.5 or less than 1rev it heats. finally it was blocked rad. it will not take much to check the rad.

If It was only overheating, there's a possibility of it's being due to blocked rad.(decreased efficiency in heat exchange) rad blocking means some lines gets clogged, not the entire water flow gets blocked. In this scenario the top hose become empty, means entire water flow out of engine block gets blocked. That mostly happens due to blocked thermostat. removing of thermostat to check whether that is the cause is easier than removing and cleaning the rad.

Hmm guys, It is 3 days now. Im still running with the recon radiator cap. Luckly i got it from the radiator house at the time i checked if any leaks in the radiator. They didn't have new one. I drove the car around 90-100km around the colombo today. But didn't notice any temperature increase. But when i was on the way home in the night, i drove the car in bit high rpm. Then i noticed very slightly increase in the heater meter. Anyway i bought a new radiator cap. Will fix it tomorrow and see. If that thing won't work, Im thinking to check the thermostat value.

I replaced the plastic top tank of the radiator 1 1/2 years back. At that time the radiator cleaned. After that i only used distilled water mixed with coolant. So don't think that it blocked.

Anyway guys really thanks for your help.

Edited by Ek3 Ferio

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

Still water in radiator extra tank is reducing. There was water leaks in two places. One was joint between core and top tank other was hose near the thermostat value.

For the first one I re fixed the top tank by cleaning the tank. And for second one removed the hose and fixed again with some glue. Now both leaks are gone. Further I removed the thermostat value also it was not working correctly.

But still water in extra tank become empty in 4-5 days. Now engine heat is not increasing. I have replaced the cap also a month ago.

I drove the car around 60km with maintaining speed 60-70kmph, but engine heat is stable.

Any idea why water is reducing? Can be a gasket leak? But engine heat is stable. There is an engine jerk also in lower rpms. In higher rpms it is not noticeable.

The question is not about the water in the expansion tank. That is an area where water expands to in high pressure due to heat but once the heat goes down the water should be sucked back into the radiator.

So try this, empty the expansion tank, top up the radiator to full and check if there is any water reduction after a day of running.

But Don, getting empty the extra tank in 4-5 days is a question isn't it? That should not happen right?

You don't normally drive around with the expansion tank full. If you do so where is the water in the radiator going to expand into? You might have an issue but you need to check if the radiator itself is losing coolant, not the expansion tank.