• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hp Compaq Pressario Laptop Pc

maheshw

Guys, i need some quick technical assitant to solve a issue on my laptop.since yesterday it starts to alert me to back up my files iummedietly before i loose any data due to a hard disk error.

when switch on the computer it says there is an error in smart scan & i need to run a hard disk check up in system diagnosis or press enter to continue.

if i hit enter it will boot as normal & when comes to the normal desktop it starts to alert me to backup my files before the hard disk fails to start next time.

what i did

so i press F2 in first place & enter to the system diagnosis & start a self hard disk check. but it ran only 14%. after it didnt.tried 2-3 times. but didnt.

Next

i did a Full disk clean up,analyse & difragement, bad sector cleanup on all 03 drives including C. nothing :sad-smiley-050:

i search it on google. got to known that if i did a update on BIOS this will be rectified.

Guys before i go for that i need to get some advices from you all.becoz dont know what will happen after updaing bios.

Thank you..

Im assuming this particular device is not under warranty now ?

The most effective thing you could do is to actually remove the HDD from the laptop and fit it to an external usb HDD enclosure.Most external HDD drives use 2.5" laptop hard disks, borrow one from a friend and replace the enclosures drive with your drive.

Then plug it into a desktop or another laptop and first backup all the data if you can, if you cant backup skip to the next step.

Then run a disk repair tool like the windows error checker or flobo,hdd guru etc.

Also run a malware test and defragment it while you are at it.

If you cant find someone with an external hdd buy an "external HDD enclosure" (its just the enclosure, it doesnt have a drive in it)[make sure to get a 2.5 inch one], these dont cost much; last time i checked they were around 2000-4000 and it will be a worthy investment as well.

Also update your bios but do the backup first cause you might loose all the data if the problem persists.

Worst case scenario would be a faulty HDD and you will have to replace it.

Edited by The Stig

• 2 weeks later...

That means your hard drive has bad sectirs. some HP Compaq models have that isse. So backup your data ASAP. Use norton ghost to full image of your hard rive. because when you have bad sectors on your hard drive it may be difficult to copy files to another location.

Edited by newone

That means your hard drive has bad sectirs. some HP Compaq models have that isse. So backup your data ASAP. Use norton ghost to full image of your hard rive. because when you have bad sectors on your hard drive it may be difficult to copy files to another location.

thanks for the info. what will happen if i re-install windows 07 ?

thanks for the info. what will happen if i re-install windows 07 ?

If you have a hardware issue, no point in re-installing windows software, that wont fix a busted hard drive, would it? If you have important data, try to copy it to a backup storage asap.