• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Octane Boosters

sampa

Hi All,

Is it good to use octane boosters with the petrol. IF so what are the benefits and drawbacks.

Thanks in advance guys,

Sampa

'sampa',

Read the web page below.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Octane-Boosters-and-the-Truth-Behind-Them&id=802568

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Web surfing to find octane boosters. I found this how to make your own Octane booster.

I did not try this. This can be mixed in Srilanka. As all stuff is available here. Will try out and inform the results.

Octane Booster - Tips For Making Your Own.

If you are looking for a way to boost the performance of your car, you may want to consider using an octane booster. Of course while they may help your car's performance you may find that they are quite expensive. In fact, you can pay several dollars for just one can of this booster for your call. If you don't want to pay this for a good product for your car, you may want to consider making your own. So, here are some tips that will help you to make your own octane booster to help out your car.

The Supplies First of all,

let's take a look at the things that you are going to need to make this booster. You'll need to have a quart container that is empty as well as a half pin container as well to help out. A funnel is definitely going to come in hand too. Make sure that you have a gallon of both xylene and acetone as well as about a quart of synthetic oil that is of high quality and 2-cycle oil. Make sure you have all of these ingredients ready to go before you start to make your own booster.

Purchasing Your Supplies. You can find all of these supplies easily at a local hardware store. In fact, usually just your local Home Depot will carry all of the supplies that you need. The oil you may need to get at a store that carries auto parts; however, some auto parts stores will carry it as well. You'll find the xylene and the acetone in the paint sections of the stores, so it is fairly easy for you to find.

Mixing Up the Booster.

Once you have all the supplies that you need to make the octane booster, you are ready to start mixing it up. You'll want two parts acetone, one part xylene, and one part oil. If you want to easily mix it, make sure that you use the pint container to help measure out these parts. Pour the ingredients carefully into the larger container and mix the ingredients all up very gently.

Add a Small Amount to Your Gas. Now that you have the octane booster all mixed together, you'll want to add just a small amount to your gas. Usually it will be best to put about 3oz of the booster in the tank for every 10 gallons of gas that you have in your tank as well. More than likely this booster will last you for a while, so remember to put it in when you fill up with gas.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Dear Sylvi,

Would you like to try this with your Maruti Van?

Crosswind

Dear Crosswind,

At the moment I Use 2 T oil Rs.50.00 every time I top up the tank. that is for 200 Kilometers. Liters of petrol will be vary 11Km / liter to 13.5 km/ liter.

I have used Acetone 2% to number of liters I pump in. Never used Xylene All these solvents are available in Bangshall Street. They are about 5 liters Rs. 1000/=. 2t oil I buy a pint or in the filling station it self I pour before filling up the tank..

Acetone gives about 1km more for liter of Gasoline. 2T I have no noticeable difference. Engine done only 13650 Kilometers. so far only changing oil and filters. No tune ups. Running perfectly all OK.

Definitely I will try and give the results.

Thanks for your interest in Octane booster.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

• 1 month later...

I have started using Octane booster. Two parts Acetone, one part xylene, and one part 2T oil. Have done two top ups of Petrol 90 Octane.

Have a all three mixed bottle with me before top up every time to pour, into the tank.

Early to say any difference have to go on for about a month or two to get any difference. Will inform.

Approximate cost for a gallon is extra Rupees 5.00.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Hi All,

Is it good to use octane boosters with the petrol. IF so what are the benefits and drawbacks.

Thanks in advance guys,

Sampa

High Octane levels other than the manufacturer recommended levels lead to more carbon deposits in engines.

Since Gasolines rated in 91 & 95 available in Sri Lanka ,what is the purpose of putting octane boosters unless the

manufacturer states & recommend 97 or 98 ?. Is it go race in public roads expecting low span engine life time ?

Most of the people use these to get more pick up when their engines are not optimum, such as not tuned, ignition

& injectors/carb give problems,when under compressions are present etc.

Edited by Rohnd

How was ANY of this relevant to the topic? Did you not agree just the other day to refrain from going on a ramble?

'Supra_Natural',

That was a reply post to another post,may be that.

OK.

I DID NOT WRITE NOT EVERYTHING ON THAT POST RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC. ONLY FEW PARAS, I ADMIT SAME. NOT RAMBLING.

THOSE WERE RELATED TO AUTOMOBILES.

I FIND ONE MEMBER IS HAPPY FOR REMOVAL OF MY POST. IS THAT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC. REQUEST HIM TO BE MORE POLITE.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

'Supra_Natural',

OK.

I DID NOT WRITE NOT EVERYTHING ON THAT POST RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC. ONLY FEW PARAS, I ADMIT SAME. NOT AMBLING.

I FIND ONE MEMBER IS HAPPY FOR REMOVAL OF MY POST. IS THAT RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC. REQUEST HIM TO BE MORE POLITE.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

My loving Sylvi,

Going on and on about stuff you did with magnets and alternators in a thread that's about Octane boosters IS rambling.

And not just one, but many members are happy that your post was removed! You don't have to go all caps-lock on the moderator for that.. geez!

'Supra_Natural',

OK.

I DID NOT WRITE NOT EVERYTHING ON THAT POST RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC. ONLY FEW PARAS, I ADMIT SAME. NOT RAMBLING.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Dear moderators,

Sylvi just brokethe new law. Please remove his post in keeping with supradonperi Chintana.

'Supra_Natural',

OK.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

Sylvi,

I have already replied to your PM on the subject but for the public record, here is the Oxford English Dictionary's definition for ramble:

Definition of ramble

verb

[no object]

• 2. talk or write at length in a confused or inconsequential way - eg :Sylvi rambled on about magnets and motors in an Octane Booster thread

Clear enough now?

i dont think thats good

'Magnum',

Re your post I have read on web positive and negative answers on the said subject. I have a reason for that.

Some times the moderator might delete this post also mentioning. IT is not relevant to the Topic.Therefore I will PM to you THE SAME TEXT.

I once had a MG car with a Redex uppercylinder LUBROCHARGER fitted by the original owner. This was fitted to lubricate the cylinders. I at that time used do 3000 miles traveling, for a month long distance for my work in distance towns around Ceylon.

I never had any problems in the engine for 125000 miles until I sold same.

Now that lubricator Redex is not available in S L. I will give you the web link for your reference.

http://www.derek.com.au/redex.html

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Great lttle units, those Redex Lubrochargers, Sylvie. You will recollect the quart can of Redex under the bonnet and the button on the dash? Those were the days, eh? We knew that upper-cylinder lubricants were the life-blood of those UK motors. Do you remember the single-shot Reddex dispensers with the red can and the brass nozzle that some of the petrol sheds had? And how some super-keen motoring chaps used to actually mix the Redex into their sump-oil? Engine would last forever, they claimed. Did you ever come across a car fitted with the Ki-gas fuel priming system? I don't know, kids today really miss so much of the real fun of real motoring.

Great lttle units, those Redex Lubrochargers, Sylvie. You will recollect the quart can of Redex under the bonnet and the button on the dash? Those were the days, eh? We knew that upper-cylinder lubricants were the life-blood of those UK motors. Do you remember the single-shot Reddex dispensers with the red can and the brass nozzle that some of the petrol sheds had? And how some super-keen motoring chaps used to actually mix the Redex into their sump-oil? Engine would last forever, they claimed. Did you ever come across a car fitted with the Ki-gas fuel priming system? I don't know, kids today really miss so much of the real fun of real motoring.

'Scooter',

You have the experience of the unit. Yes your post is perfectly correct on that unit.

I send a email to Mr. Derek to find out more details about the unit, you are referring. The availability of same or superseded new similar of same as I find there are plenty of Redex products for never automobiles.

Sylvi Wijesinghe

....and do flip through the numbers at the bottom of the screen to get the full set of videos. You will love the different car marques. One of the drivers on these Oz rallies was by the name of "Gellignite" Jack, his trick was to throw a lighted stick of Gelly behind the bush toilet when some poor soul was having a quiet dump, crazy but true!