• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

White Raised Lines On Roads???

Mikee

For what purpose that there are multiple painted ( white) raised lines on roads near bridges, bends, crossings etc?(especially at country side) Is it a substitute for old bumps on the road? Are they to reduce our speed or just to awake the driver (due to vibration of the vehicle ) :) ? (I see people never slow on them)

I'm gonna ask this anyway since this talks about white lines

Is it illegal to overtake a vehicle without crossing the single or double line ?

The reason I asked is that my friend got pulled over for overtaking but he did not cross the line. But the cop said it s illegal although the lines wasn't crossed. Anyway he was able to get away after having an argument with the cop.

Now I see lots of traffic cops along the 120 route and sooner or later I'll fall pray overtaking a motorcycle so I need to get the facts straight before arguing with a cop. :)

Is it illegal to overtake a vehicle without crossing the single or double line ?

The reason I asked is that my friend got pulled over for overtaking but he did not cross the line. But the cop said it s illegal although the lines wasn't crossed. Anyway he was able to get away after having an argument with the cop.

Now I see lots of traffic cops along the 120 route and sooner or later I'll fall pray overtaking a motorcycle so I need to get the facts straight before arguing with a cop. :)

With a solid single white line, it is illegal to cross the line unless you want to turn right or to avoid an accident.

With a solid double white line you can only cross it to avoid an accident. No other exceptions allowed.

• Like 2

For what purpose that there are multiple painted ( white) raised lines on roads near bridges, bends, crossings etc?(especially at country side) Is it a substitute for old bumps on the road? Are they to reduce our speed or just to awake the driver (due to vibration of the vehicle ) :) ? (I see people never slow on them)

simpsonsnelsonhaha2l.jpg

lol... how old r u?

Firstly if you have a driving license you SHOULD know all this stuff... oh well, we have the RMV to blame for that.

Maybe I misunderstood what Don said, but on a double line you can cross it ONLY to avoid an accident. on a single line, you can cross it if you're getting off the road, like turning onto a lane.

Whatever overtake (from the right) you do on your side of the line is upto you, and shouldnt be illegal.

Members,

What I understand this topic starter was asking a question on the above. Not the single line or two lines on the center of the road..

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi, now the guys are responding to above question;)

Firstly if you have a driving license you SHOULD know all this stuff... oh well, we have the RMV to blame for that.

Maybe I misunderstood what Don said, but on a double line you can cross it ONLY to avoid an accident. on a single line, you can cross it if you're getting off the road, like turning onto a lane.

Whatever overtake (from the right) you do on your side of the line is upto you, and shouldnt be illegal.

Yes I know when you can / cannot cross the line :) . but my question was *is it illegal to overtake someone in a single/double lined area without crossing the line ?*

Reason is my friend get pulled over for overtaking a motor cycle but he did not cross the line. But the cop's argument was that it was illegal since it was a single lane road (single lane for each up/down traffic), although the line was not crossed :sad-smiley-058:

So I need to know for sure if the cop's right before this happens again !!!

Edited by Amila G

Yes I know when you can / cannot cross the line :) . but my question was *is it illegal to overtake someone in a single/double lined area without crossing the line ?*

Reason is my friend get pulled over for overtaking a motor cycle but he did not cross the line. But the cop's argument was that it was illegal since it was a single lane road (single lane for each up/down traffic), although the line was not crossed :sad-smiley-058:

So I need to know for sure if the cop's right before this happens again !!!

You cannot overtake while crossing a solid single or solid double white line. You can overtake as long as you do it within the confines of the lines without obstructing traffic, or driving without due care and attention (like cutting into the way of the motorist you are trying to overtake). In a single lane road with a solid white line dividing the two lanes, you can't overtake irrespective of whether you cross the white line or not because it is a SINGLE LANE and there is no room to overtake. That is why a solid white line is there to indicate that is unsafe to overtake in that section of road.

You cannot overtake while crossing a solid single or solid double white line. You can overtake as long as you do it within the confines of the lines without obstructing traffic, or driving without due care and attention (like cutting into the way of the motorist you are trying to overtake). In a single lane road with a solid white line dividing the two lanes, you can't overtake irrespective of whether you cross the white line or not because it is a SINGLE LANE and there is no room to overtake. That is why a solid white line is there to indicate that is unsafe to overtake in that section of road.

hmm... thanks for the clarification... I thought it's ok, if there's enough room within the lane to safely overtake... (like a motorcyclist going on the edge of the road :( )

hmm... thanks for the clarification... I thought it's ok, if there's enough room within the lane to safely overtake... (like a motorcyclist going on the edge of the road :( )

I know everybody does it, but it doesn't mean its legal. Solid white lines are only used for hazardous parts of roads. After the area of hazard is over is will switch to a dotted white line where you can overtake with care.

Members,

All reply posts are on center white lines.The topic starter Mikee question was not the center white lines. He clearly says the lines across the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

All reply posts are on center white lines.The topic starter Mikee question was not the center white lines. He clearly says the lines across the road.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

That question was stupid to begin with and was answered by the thread starter himself in his very next sentence. And we have all moved beyond that. The same way we have moved beyond 15k windscreen washes..

Now chilax bro.. if the OP wants more clarification, he'll ask :)

• Like 1

Members,

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

If your soooo concerned about the topic starter....rather than nagging around when everyone else has clearly moved on...answer it yourself and move on too!

What a pain!

Edited by ruwds

Those lines are there to warn the drivers to slow down their vehicles.

Members,

Topic starter himself had answered for the question.

Topic starter may have had a doubt that is the reason I personally think he wrote a post to the forum for a clarification.

Forum members to answer. Most members answered not to the topic.

2 Members Kevin 1462 and SenD had posted their opinions onto the forum. Which I too agree.That is what the topic starter wanted.

Instead of one member mentions stupid topic and with unwanted sarcastic remark not relevant to the topic,

Another member is questioning for the reason to be so much concern about the topic starter and about nagging by me on the topic.

What I said on my posts was the answers were not for the topic. That was my opinion.

I never harm the feelings of the members by posting sarcastic posts. All members on this forum has their self respect.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Topic starter himself had answered for the question.

OMG! Really? Phew...about time the situation has been realised...

Just one question, then why all the previous 'nagging' posts when one simple reply containing the first line of post 21 would have sufficed.