• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Getting A New English Number For The Old Registration Number

n2rox

Question

I don't think it is possible at the moment. As I saw in news couple of months back, English numbers are issued for for the series 18-,19-,300-,301-,302- and 64-,65- only, at a cost of Rs:25000/-.

it thought it was only for 301- and 302- o_0

anyway i prefer having my 64- number :D

Hey guys,

i have a land rover defender 1974 model...its registration # is 31-xxxx so just wanted to knw whether i can get a new english # for this...

A 1974 defender??? Cant be mate. Maybe a Series III Landy.

The answer is no for the reg number swap for 31 sri series.

AFAIK 18,19,300,301 and 302 are offered numbers starting EA. Dont think 64 and 65s are given EA plates. Ex- military vehicles are also given EA plates but not the ones already registered with RMV. Fee is LKR 28,650/-.

MINIACE

Hey guys,

i have a land rover defender 1974 model...its registration # is 31-xxxx so just wanted to knw whether i can get a new english # for this...

Can't be a Defender mate, it's a S3 with a kit or whatever, hope you were not cheated into it..

Come on you need a english plate on a 1974? IMHAO that would actually ruin her character. Just sayin

Exactly mate; try to keep it in its originality... In a Landy it carries a lot of value..

A 1974 defender??? Cant be mate. Maybe a Series III Landy.

The answer is no for the reg number swap for 31 sri series.

MINIACE

Precisely..

I am now a little torn. My Mirage's old 19- number plate is in quite a state now owing to various scrapes over the years and old age. I noticed the good old number plate places have nearly all vanished and some of the places left do really gaudy copies of the new numbering system. This gives me a new option ....... but I'm not 100% sure and 28K is a lot of money for 2 number plates (because that is essentially what it is for a car with a perfectly legit registration).

I noticed the good old number plate places have nearly all vanished and some of the places left do really gaudy copies of the new numbering system.

Not really mate. Number plate makers do exist in Darley Road and they have a selection of fonts. U can get a pair of plates done for about 1500. Much cheaper than the 28500 you need to spend to make your car look like an old lady with loads of new makeup :D

• Like 1

I am now a little torn. My Mirage's old 19- number plate is in quite a state now owing to various scrapes over the years and old age. I noticed the good old number plate places have nearly all vanished and some of the places left do really gaudy copies of the new numbering system. This gives me a new option ....... but I'm not 100% sure and 28K is a lot of money for 2 number plates (because that is essentially what it is for a car with a perfectly legit registration).

or

Go to a place where they do stickers,

They will past the numbers on a perspex board,

Much better than the hideous wp 65-xxxx board we see now.

Hate the EA numbering system.

Getting a new number doesn't make the car newer dose it?

And it also ruins it's character.

It will only show that the guy has a personality problem, or using an old car because he can't upgrade.

Or like the feeling women get when they are told "You look younger darling".

• Like 4

or

Go to a place where they do stickers,

They will past the numbers on a perspex board,

Much better than the hideous wp 65-xxxx board we see now.

Hate the EA numbering system.

Getting a new number doesn't make the car newer dose it?

And it also ruins it's character.

It will only show that the guy has a personality problem, or using an old car because he can't upgrade.

Or like the feeling women get when they are told "You look younger darling".

Thanks both! I'm a little weary of Darley road (the hassle you get from touts when you try to get something done there) Is there anywhere close to Nugegoda either of you might know about. (My apologies, I spend most of the year outside Sri Lanka and most places I used to go to no longer operate!)

Oh... Just you are playing with typical sri Lankan mentality,,, some more examples to be qulified for a good vehicle

1. must have an English number, newer the better irrespective of the registered year (that’s why people spend 50.000 rs extra to get special numbers)

2. JDM

3. No matter how it has been serviced, it must have driven by a lady, doctor, etc.

4. Original paint, no touch ups (how on earth we can drive a car with undeciplined morons in here without a scratch)

5. Should be a Toyota (preferably Japan made)

6. Better if JAAI certificate is pasted on the windscreen ( I have seen people who donot erase the shipment numbers written on the windscreen (chalk marks indicating the shipment number, or some japanese letters)

7. should be highly fuel efficient

Guys, being members of the AL community, please at least try to get rid of this mentality

Edited by udayap
  • Like 2

Thanks both! I'm a little weary of Darley road (the hassle you get from touts when you try to get something done there) Is there anywhere close to Nugegoda either of you might know about. (My apologies, I spend most of the year outside Sri Lanka and most places I used to go to no longer operate!)

I've seen a place in Kohuwala junction that does number plates. It's right on the junction, you just can't miss it. But their work doesn't seem to be as good as the Darley Road ones.

There's another place right below the Maradana overhead bridge.

You could always park your car somewhere closeby and walk to Darley Road. None of the touts would bother.

When I had my 12 sri Lancer (and when I had a whole lot of time at hand), I used to do number plates on my own. They came out pretty OK I guess because even my friends came to me to get theirs done. :D

If you're up to it, you can buy stickers + plastic number plates from Jeev@ Pl@stics at Darley road. The process does take a couple of hours but I think anyone with patience should be able to manage it. Plus it will only cost you about 300 bucks. :)

This 28+K is not only for the number plate. thats for the registration change. If you need to replace the number plate with a new one, that will cost you Rs 1200/- max.

BTW recently I obtained an EA Registration to one of my cars.

MINIACE

Oh... Just you are playing with typical sri Lankan mentality,,, some more examples to be qulified for a good vehicle

1. must have an English number, newer the better irrespective of the registered year (that’s why people spend 50.000 rs extra to get special numbers)

2. JDM

3. No matter how it has been serviced, it must have driven by a lady, doctor, etc.

4. Original paint, no touch ups (how on earth we can drive a car with undeciplined morons in here without a scratch)

5. Should be a Toyota (preferably Made in Japan)

6. Better if JAAI certificate is pasted on the windscreen ( I have seen people who donot erase the shipment numbers written on the windscreen (chalk marks indicating the shipment number, or some japanese letters)

7. should be highly fuel efficient

Guys, being members of the AL community, please at least try to get rid of this mentality

Amen to that!

• Like 1

Hi, if you don't mind me asking - what were your reasons behind getting an EA number?

Sure dont mind....thats and ex-Military Merc. Now may I ask if you dont mind, why wouldnt you opt for an EA if you were offered?

MINIACE

Ah, it was an ex-military vehicle. For those cars there isn't an alternative other than getting an EA plate, right?

IMO (silly as it might be), I think the registration is part of vehicle itself. Few decades down the line it would be great to see a car that you used to own running around - for most part, its likely to be recognized by the registration (unless it was a rare vehicle in SL). Changing the plates from say 300- to EA simply isn't something that I would go for if I was offered...

By the way, what's the Merc? A W140? :D

• Like 1

Ah, it was an ex-military vehicle. For those cars there isn't an alternative other than getting an EA plate, right?

IMO (silly as it might be), I think the registration is part of vehicle itself. Few decades down the line it would be great to see a car that you used to own running around - for most part, its likely to be recognized by the registration (unless it was a rare vehicle in SL). Changing the plates from say 300- to EA simply isn't something that I would go for if I was offered...

By the way, what's the Merc? A W140? :D

Ah cool...mine an ex-top brass W202 C200.

MINIACE

• Like 1

Sold one of my Jeeps bearing 51-XXXX recently and the buyer asked me whether he will be able to get an English number with the transfer. Anyone know whether the RMV is offering the english numbers for 51- numbers. this guys is really bugging me and i told him to contact the rmv, but when ever he calls to ask something about the vehicle he asks about the english number thingy as well.

i have read the old posts on this thread, i just wanted to check whether anything has changed since then.

thanks.

Hey guys,

I actually saw a vehicle which had 31 Sri, now having this "E" number. So I am sure there is a way, though I don't know if that way is legal or not.

Unless you get new body fitted to an old numbered chassis (31/64/65) and you wanna get some hiding; why the hell someone need those EA series?

I have seen lot of defenders and Cedric (may be converted to diesel) in EA series.

One should not feel inferior just because driving with old plates!

Edited by nano31
  • Like 3