• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Help Needed...fuel Consumption Too High

hondacivic

I have a 97 starlet EP91 auto petrol with mileage of 140000 kms. I service it every 5000kms ( oil filter, oil and air filter change). Havent changed the plugs lately though. The car is not doing good on fuel as it should, does about 8 km/l in city.

Can it be because of spark plugs being too old or something else?

Your advices and suggestions deeply appreciated....thanx in advance.

I have a 97 starlet EP91 auto petrol with mileage of 140000 kms. I service it every 5000kms ( oil filter, oil and air filter change). Havent changed the plugs lately though. The car is not doing good on fuel as it should, does about 8 km/l in city.

When was the last time you did a proper engine tune up?

you have a interesting forum handle for some one who owning a starlet any ways as schiffer ask when was the last time you done a complete engine tune up and when was the last time you change your spark plugs and petrol filter?.

Well my EP82 does 11 to 12 kmpl in and around Colombo. Your driving style too have an effect on fuel consumption. (I have noticed people who drive like mad cows complain about fuel consumption. Not refering to you mate. ;) )

Any way its better to visit a good place & check the fuel injectors as well as the plugs. If you haven't serviced the injectors after purchasing the car, I assume its high time to do so.

Edited by Crishan

Well my EP82 does 11 to 12 kmpl in and around Colombo. Your driving style too have an effect on fuel consumption. (I have noticed people who drive like mad cows complain about fuel consumption. Not refering to you mate. ;) )

I've noticed people who drive around at about 20kmph complaining about fuel consumption too. Tho it boils down to the same root cause, driving style.

you have a interesting forum handle for some one who owning a starlet any ways as schiffer ask when was the last time you done a complete engine tune up and when was the last time you change your spark plugs and petrol filter?.

Sry mate new to this forum and doesnt have much forum experience. :)

Never changed spark plugs, about 20k kms with same plugs.

I've noticed people who drive around at about 20kmph complaining about fuel consumption too. Tho it boils down to the same root cause, driving style.

Isnt that expected? If you're doing 20kmph you're probably on the 1st or 2nd gear.... I would think the best fuel efficiency would be driving on the 5th gear without letting it knock and without over-revving it...

• Like 1

Never machan. I bought the car with 120k km mileage. havnt done any engine tune up as yet. how much will it cost? any good place u suggest?

Y U NO TUNE-UP..

no seriously you need to do a good engine tuneup..

change the spark plugs if needed and change the air filter as well

• Like 1

i heard the joint in cotta road does a decent job at a reasonable rate.

I Never had first hand experiences though.

L*l alaw*tta also popular ,some people say that he's good.but i personally don't like people showing attitude to me .so i went once and decided not to go ever even if my car blow up.don't know it's just me....

i heard the joint in cotta road does a decent job at a reasonable rate.

I Never had first hand experiences though.

L*l alaw*tta also popular ,some people say that he's good.but i personally don't like people showing attitude to me .so i went once and decided not to go ever even if my car blow up.don't know it's just me....

That's very true about L*l alaw*tta. The only good thing about his place is that the mechanics are specialized to a specific area so they can master that...

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer C62A (ASP Model 1991 year) full option car (1500cc). I bought this in last year. The engine is really powerful but the problem is fuel consumption. I did a tune-up 7 months ago (changed the air filter, plugs, etc) and also replaced my Silencer Barrels (small and big one) but still it is same. As I know this vehicle does 11-12KM / per ltr but it is doing only 7-8KM/1ltr. Also reduced the fuel from Carb Jets too. And I smell petrol from the silencer (smoke) also can see light black smoke (specially when starting).

I went to few people but didn't work. I didn't do an oil change (oil is dark and thick) after purchasing the car and also can see a small leak near plugs (don't know exactly from where).

Guys, I'm planning to go to Nuwara Eliya during next month and really need to solve these issues soon. I'm from Hokandara (near Malabe and Maharagama also Kottawa).

Please let me know,

1. A good place to check these issues

2. From where to do a service with an oil change (including oil filter) and should be reasonable

3. A good place to repair my Carb and Radiator

Irosh

Hi All,

I have a Mitsubishi Lancer C62A (ASP Model 1991 year) full option car (1500cc). I bought this in last year. The engine is really powerful but the problem is fuel consumption. I did a tune-up 7 months ago (changed the air filter, plugs, etc) and also replaced my Silencer Barrels (small and big one) but still it is same. As I know this vehicle does 11-12KM / per ltr but it is doing only 7-8KM/1ltr. Also reduced the fuel from Carb Jets too. And I smell petrol from the silencer (smoke) also can see light black smoke (specially when starting).

I went to few people but didn't work. I didn't do an oil change (oil is dark and thick) after purchasing the car and also can see a small leak near plugs (don't know exactly from where).

Guys, I'm planning to go to Nuwara Eliya during next month and really need to solve these issues soon. I'm from Hokandara (near Malabe and Maharagama also Kottawa).

Please let me know,

1. A good place to check these issues

2. From where to do a service with an oil change (including oil filter) and should be reasonable

3. A good place to repair my Carb and Radiator

Irosh

Fuel smell from the exhaust, black smoke and low fuel economy are all signs of an engine running rich. Your carburetor needs to be properly tuned to get around the issue.

I'm not sure about a carburetor repair workshop around the area, but for the service, you can try L@ughs at Maharagama or Koswatta.