• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Fb14 Clutch Plate Issue

maheshw

NIssan Sunny Fb 14

Manual Gear.

ODO 187000

Dear friends,

Few days back suddenly my clutch start to slip.when i am accelerating car didn't move very much as earlier & there was a very bad (kara ganda) smell from gear box area. so i showed it to my mechanic & as his guides replace the clutch plate pressure plate & the razor with new 90 gear oil two days back.

Now the issue is after this repair when am releasing the clutch it starts to vibrate the car & move. if i accelerate bit high it moves as normal. this feels very high on reverse gear vibrating the car bit high.also i feel the same smell again after open the bonnet. so i meet the mechanic again & showed the issue. he informed me that may be the pressure plate has not fixed properly to the fly wheel & need to replace to another new pressure plate or drive with this situation it might be ok after 1000-2000 kms. am bit confused on this as this is the first time i have faced to such situation. hence please help to sort out the issue.

Thank You.

I have faced a similar kind of issue, but not after the clutch replacement. You might have to get the flywheel resurfaced since everything else is new.

The two sides of the clutch touch the pressure plate and the flywheel respectively, and since the pressure plate and clutch are new, it’s probably the surface on the flywheel that’s letting the clutch to slip, causing vibration (and burnt clutch smell). This is of course assuming that your mechanic was competent enough to assemble everything properly. From what you have said, I have a feeling that he's not 100% sure.

Also, doing 1000 - 2000 km with this vibration will cause your engine and gearbox mounts to give up so I suggest you do not try such a long trial run since this vibration is severe. The car should be smooth from the point where the repair was done if everything was done properly.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Davy

Also, doing 1000 - 2000 km with this vibration will cause your engine and gearbox mounts to give up so I suggest you do not try such a long trial run since this vibration is severe. The car should be smooth from the point where the repair was done if everything was done properly.

Yes i too agreed with your comment. i have meet another mechanic & he also state need to re check this A-Z. if theirs nothing wrong with flywheel or mounts i have replace with original nissan clutch plated which will cost me another 10-15k. previous plates were excedy & replaced with aisian japanese one. anw i am planing to check this again on tomorow of dayafter. will keep post.

Thanks for the help & have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

So basically the Excedy clutch and pressure plates worked while the Aisin one didn't? You could take that crap back to the seller and demand your money back!

yes. returned the aisian things & luckily got 100% refund on that. anw got to known from a friend that most of the toyotas are coming with aisian brand clutch plates & nissans are with exicidy. oppsites changes might give troubles. dont know the truth......

yes. returned the aisian things & luckily got 100% refund on that. anw got to known from a friend that most of the toyotas are coming with aisian brand clutch plates & nissans are with exicidy. oppsites changes might give troubles. dont know the truth......

You probably got a cheap copy of Aisin. I don't think a genuine Aisin would have failed that way. On a more positive note please share the shop you bought them at because the items failed its nice to hear they took it back and offered you a refund. That is good service.

Yes, please share with us where you got the plates from. I'm also nearing a clutch/pressure plate replacement.

On a side note, on most forums I read, it's recommended to phase the fly wheel when you put new plates coz it might not be worn evenly and wouldn't fit the new plates. But my mechanic said it's bad to phase the fly wheel if its not badly out of shape.

Could anybody tell me which is correct ? Should I re-surface the fly wheel or not. As per the mech I'll need to replace both the clutch and pressure plates.

Yes, please share with us where you got the plates from. I'm also nearing a clutch/pressure plate replacement.

On a side note, on most forums I read, it's recommended to phase the fly wheel when you put new plates coz it might not be worn evenly and wouldn't fit the new plates. But my mechanic said it's bad to phase the fly wheel if its not badly out of shape.

Could anybody tell me which is correct ? Should I re-surface the fly wheel or not. As per the mech I'll need to replace both the clutch and pressure plates.

You can phase and re surface the flywheel if its only lightly scratched, but anything worse you have to replace the flywheel to get optimum clutch performance. Pressure plate replacement is usually done at the time of clutch replacement to save on the effort and labour of having to replace it further on. If your clutch was not badly worn at the time of replacement and the pressure plate is ok, you might get away with replacing just the clutch. But as a precaution its best to replace both.

You can phase and re surface the flywheel if its only lightly scratched, but anything worse you have to replace the flywheel to get optimum clutch performance. Pressure plate replacement is usually done at the time of clutch replacement to save on the effort and labour of having to replace it further on. If your clutch was not badly worn at the time of replacement and the pressure plate is ok, you might get away with replacing just the clutch. But as a precaution its best to replace both.

Thanks Don... :)

Yes, please share with us where you got the plates from. I'm also nearing a clutch/pressure plate replacement..

How do you know that you are nearing a replacement machan ? Symptoms please :)

Clutch engages in a higher pedal position and it vibrates when releasing in first from a standstill and the pedal is a bit hard to press. But still it does not slip or too high. I got the pedal adjusted a bit to get it a little bit lower. 2 different mechs told me that I'll be needing a new pressure plate too.

But not very soon.. I'm waiting a bit more ... until the first signs of slipping or jerky pickup :)

Clutch engages in a higher pedal position and it vibrates when releasing in first from a standstill and the pedal is a bit hard to press. But still it does not slip or too high. I got the pedal adjusted a bit to get it a little bit lower. 2 different mechs told me that I'll be needing a new pressure plate too.

But not very soon.. I'm waiting a bit more ... until the first signs of slipping or jerky pickup :)

You can probably get away with changing the clutch at the moment. By the time it gets to slipping and jerky pick up you would probably need the pressure plate and perhaps re phase or replace the fly wheel if its gets badly scratched. I know I'm being a bit alarmist but its better to utilise preventative maintenance until wait until things are really bad.

You can probably get away with changing the clutch at the moment. By the time it gets to slipping and jerky pick up you would probably need the pressure plate and perhaps re phase or replace the fly wheel if its gets badly scratched. I know I'm being a bit alarmist but its better to utilise preventative maintenance until wait until things are really bad.

Can you describe this "Slippering" feeling Don ? I'm kinda sense a slippering in mine but don't know whther it's the gear box or something else, this happened once when I was climbing a hill in 4th gear at around 70Kmph and when I let go off the gas suddenly to press the brakes it felt like as if the engine was shutoff in an instance with a sudden jerk. it was there for a fraction of a second and was ok after that. I'm also having a small miss too, that kicks in moslty when letting go of the gas pedal. :)

I'm not exactly sure if your case is clutch slipping. But to check the clutch go about 80 or so km/h in the highest gear and press the gas pedal to the floor at once. If you notice the engine revving up but the car does not speed up then it s clutch slipping. And if it jerks like a leyland bus when releasing the clutch under load it's also a bad clutch.

• 2 years later...

You probably got a cheap copy of Aisin. I don't think a genuine Aisin would have failed that way. On a more positive note please share the shop you bought them at because the items failed its nice to hear they took it back and offered you a refund. That is good service.

For all members..

I too faced a smiler situation. the Aisin plate is difficult to fit. so going to change it. When I was hunting for a place I saw there are 2 different qualities of them. The box is 99% same. but the hi-quality one have marked "made in japan" on the box (label) and on the plate. But the other one just have aisin marked on the plate and the box says designed by aisin ....

Both had the silver shiny sticker to indicate is genuine aisin. and also the distributer "Ruhunu Moters pvt..."

The costs are 3000/= and 4800/= respectively

Hope this will helpful when you find a aisin product.