• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Transmission Oil Question

mello555

Question

Hi,

i recently changed my Nissan March K12 automatic gear oil using the flush method using an ATF exchange machine at laughfs car care centre. But they didn't remove the pan and clean any filter.

I want to know whether K12 got a transmission oil filter? Is it compulsory to clean.? Also I haven't seen any instruction to clean any transmission oil filter in service manual.

21 answers to this question

Hi mello555,

There is no need to remove the oil pan unless there is any issue. There is a Auto gear Sump nut. By removing it they can drain the ATF.

Was it a flush ? or a oil change? There is no as such flush method.

I have n't heard of a ATF Filter so far.

In a flush they clean the Auto gear System by adding constantly oil and draining it out untill it cleans your whole system. this needs to be done (simply) only if your exiting oil is at a very bad condition and can not be mixed with new one or in an Oil type change. Now in my case I had to flush because I Changed form Dexron III to T4 oil.

Edited by CAR_MADNESS

hi car madness , thanks for the reply. actually I did the flush method through exchange machine at laughfs car care. But still some people generally suggest to do a manual change by removing the pan and to clean the filter which might contain contaminants / dirt which I didn't do.

I want to know whether there is a transmission filter.

but flush method removes almost all of old oil whereas manual will leave abt 1.5 ltrs of old oil.

I used havoline atf-j which is compatible with nissan matic-j recommended for March K12.

but flush method removes almost all of old oil whereas manual will leave abt 1.5 ltrs of old oil.

Yes that is why I said that only if the oil is at very bad condition or changing the oil type you need a Flush.

Let me explain what is flush means,

During the fusing they use ATF (new) to clean out the gear box. Then they use about additional can of ATF during the flushing. While they add ATF form the other side they drain it off the sump nut while the engine is running on the vehical

This is repetdly done untill the system is fully cleaned. The flush is much much more expensive than an oil change.

And yes it is always preffred to use the manual drain so that all the dirt will go away under the gravity.

Have you ever heard of Radiator Flushing ? itss similar to that

Edited by CAR_MADNESS

Hi,

i recently changed my Nissan March K12 automatic gear oil using the flush method using an ATF exchange machine at laughfs car care centre. But they didn't remove the pan and clean any filter.

I want to know whether K12 got a transmission oil filter? Is it compulsory to clean.? Also I haven't seen any instruction to clean any transmission oil filter in service manual.

I think the fluid exchange has been performed correctly. Under normal circumstances there is nothing else to do as long as your automatic transmission is performing correctly.

A flush is normally done when an ATF extractor is not used to get most of the existing fluid out of the system, or after a clean up of the valves etc to get rid of any left over sludge. This is not really required when an extractor is used if all you are trying to do is change ATF oil as part of a normal service.

Do i have to clean the transmission oil filter for a complete clean up of the system.? Some say that when you remove the pan there is a filter there to remove the contaminants. pls advise.

This is not normally required and if I'm not mistaken not all cars have such a filter which can be cleaned in that way. They only remove the pan when they do a manual ATF change to get as much fluid out of the system as possible and to supposedly give the sump a clean. Personally I'm not 100% convinced of the value.

I got the Forester's ATF changed today while I was passing AutoMiraj in Ratamalana. Wanted to DIY this weekend, but something came up. As usual they wanted to 'flush' the system and all that BS. I said, no, here is the filter, just drain the MFr and pour in 4 liters of ATF and be done with it. 15 min job. If I did it at home I would have made a big mess as the when you remove the filter oil spews everywhere. This has the screw on ATF filter, which makes life that much easier.

Which brings me to the question, how much is a liter of ATF Dextron 3 these days? They said its 1100 a litre and I did not ask around as with the ZF in the old BMW I had I was used to paying close to 7K a liter, and this is a bargain... ;)

I got the Forester's ATF changed today while I was passing AutoMiraj in Ratamalana. Wanted to DIY this weekend, but something came up. As usual they wanted to 'flush' the system and all that BS. I said, no, here is the filter, just drain the MFr and pour in 4 liters of ATF and be done with it. 15 min job. If I did it at home I would have made a big mess as the when you remove the filter oil spews everywhere. This has the screw on ATF filter, which makes life that much easier.

Which brings me to the question, how much is a liter of ATF Dextron 3 these days? They said its 1100 a litre and I did not ask around as with the ZF in the old BMW I had I was used to paying close to 7K a liter, and this is a bargain... ;)

I did ATF change about 1 1/2 moth ago for my previous vehicle (Teriose) form agent The Dextron III was about Rs 3200 4L can. But They suggested to use T4 saying its a low viscosity than Dextron III and so and so. The price of T4 was Rs 4800 4L can.

Dear i had gear shifting prob and delay on accelerations and already started a topic finally for my kia spectra car ATF-J auto gear oil(Caltex Havolin) is suitable for given company standards and my mechanics told do the changing manually and he did it remove the bottom cover and there was a filter its a hole plate covered with just like greese and some thick black colour paste he cleaned and showed me wornoff particles attached to 2 magnets and cleaned all parts and did some wash finally fix it again and filled new oils now there is remarkeble improvements in pickup and smmoth . cost is for oil 6000/= labour 1000 .

my car is auto gear recently i repair the engine at that time gear oil also removed.

now the car is not accelerate as usual

this can be seen on when i drive on hills

one mechanic told to gear oil change from the machine

will it be possible

Please advice me

thank you

Thush its possible that the ATF fluid was changed with the incorrect grade of fluid. This is very possible as most shops seem to have no clue which fluid to use for which. If you mention your car model, and if you have the empty canister the grade of ATF fluid used, fellow members maybe able to advice you if it was the correct grade or not.

Thush its possible that the ATF fluid was changed with the incorrect grade of fluid. This is very possible as most shops seem to have no clue which fluid to use for which. If you mention your car model, and if you have the empty canister the grade of ATF fluid used, fellow members maybe able to advice you if it was the correct grade or not.

sorry

march k11

oil havoline atf

Hi CAR_MADNESS,

I have a Paj IO and recently did a ATF change due to invalid or unacceptable shifting(http://forum.autolan...ion#entry215385).

They did a manual change and used a dextron III ATF, but they did not do any filter cleaning. Will it be a problem?

For a flush and change, what would be the cost? I saw an ADD in hit adds that said the flushing machine charge is 650/- at Nalaka Wheel Allignment.

Also any idea if valvoline dextron III is available in SL?

Thanks

Edited by Y3K