• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic Fd1(1.8) Vs. Fd4(1.6)

isurujosh

hi.

i have a FD1 and i have been using it for quite sometime now.

i usually travel from gampola to kadugannawa and pilimathalawa and i am averaging 8-10kmpl on the FD1

so i assume the FD4 will be more economical

don't for the hybrid civic, there are reliability problems

it is a really great car, compared to your boring corolla and allions.

• Like 2

Same fuel figures as FD1 :speechless-smiley-003:
My friend's FD3 has a issue of the battery and need repair/replacement.
hi.

i have a FD1 and i have been using it for quite sometime now.

i usually travel from gampola to kadugannawa and pilimathalawa and i am averaging 8-10kmpl on the FD1

so i assume the FD4 will be more economical

don't for the hybrid civic, there are reliability problems

it is a really great car, compared to your boring corolla and allions.

My FD1 does about 6.5 - 7 in colombo, mostly in traffic, It does about 10-12 or so outstation.

i know that the FD3 (at least the models until late 2009) are notorious for battery issues. Have seen several cars that had to go through replacements

Thanks guys :) , seems FD3 is not going to be a good buy , better go for an FD4 then, thanks for the help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Auto for 4.8 million(after bargaining). I could have confirmed the deal last Friday evening but didn't mainly because it's 1.6L (and also because I was stretching too thin with the budget). Later the car had been sold for the original expected price of 4.95 million when I had made up my mind by Sunday morning:(

Hi Isuru,

This is quite old post, but I have a question for you, what was the YOM for that 1.6 FD 4 ?

• 2 weeks later...
The FD3 is reported to do 10-11KM/l in town and a bit more outside... Poor for a hybrid to be honest. And the hybrid motor really takes away any driving fun the FD Civic can provide... So you're better off with an FD4...

FD3 fuel consumption

10-12kmpl City (might do up to 14 depending on nature of traffic)

14-16kmpl outstation

17-18 highways

If you are getting an FD3, get one that has YOM after 2009. 2008 models are known for IMA issues and hybrid battery drain.

I have a 2011 FD3 and loving it. Performance is of course not par with FD1/FD2/FD4 but it's a good choice if you want the handling of a Civic but cannot afford 6-8kmpl fuel consumption.

I have driven around 5000kms since I bought the car and my average fuel consumption is 13.7. This includes commuting to work daily in heavy Colombo traffic, and travelling between Kandy-Colombo twice a week.

In, Kandy-Colombo trips I usually get around 16kmpl. Sometimes more.

I do not baby the car and drive like a typical "hybrid driver" either.

For me it works well because I drive around 2000km per month.

Edited by ramishkad

• 1 year later...

Reviving old thread. Looking for an FD1.

Guys what are the options comes in FD1? I saw somebody has mentioned different trim levels but haven't mentioned about options they include.

Some options that I know :

Paddle shift

Sun roof

Climate control

fog lights

rear head rests and cup holders.

Below options, I'm not sure whether they have in FD1 or not.

Cruise control

Rear viper

HID

6 speaker sound system

6 air bags

USB input for audio playback using phone

Also I have seen some people commenting FD series doesn't come from Japan? Is that so?

EDIT: And facelift. Does it have a facelift version?

Edited by razordj

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Im a long time follower of AL..not posted much. Looking to buy an fd4 with a manual tranny. Seen only 1 ad recently(not my color preference). Is the manual that rare? Didnt it come with the permit imports?

Since its been around for a while now..are there any common problems to look out for? A steering rack problem was mentioned in an old thread is it a common prob?

Also as the R16a engine is not offered in JDM, (correct me if im wrong) is there any scarcity of parts?

thanks in advance

Hi guys,

Im a long time follower of AL..not posted much. Looking to buy an fd4 with a manual tranny. Seen only 1 ad recently(not my color preference). Is the manual that rare? Didnt it come with the permit imports?

Since its been around for a while now..are there any common problems to look out for? A steering rack problem was mentioned in an old thread is it a common prob?

Also as the R16a engine is not offered in JDM, (correct me if im wrong) is there any scarcity of parts?

thanks in advance

The manual actually is very rare in our market. According to Stafford Motors themselves, around 10 cars were imported with Manual gearboxes (FD4s that is).

The only issue with the FD4 that is notable is the rack as mentioned but it apparently can be sorted out. The R16A is basically the R18 motor that came in the FD1 with a bit less capacity because of a shorter stroke so parts are unlikely to be an issue. Anyway Honda engines in general are rock solid.

In the interest of Full disclosure, the Manual that is currently for sale on AL is mine.

Oh thats interesting..its a very small number for a civic which is generally a drivers car aint it? Btw hope i didnt offend u on the color;)

Ok..so then it might even be having the same engine head. Thats good. U havent tried doing any mods on ur motor?

Btw have u driven the 1.8 to compare the dynamics?

Oh thats interesting..its a very small number for a civic which is generally a drivers car aint it? Btw hope i didnt offend u on the color;)

Ok..so then it might even be having the same engine head. Thats good. U havent tried doing any mods on ur motor?

I know the question is addressed to Supra, but thought I'd provide a bit of perspective.

Manual imports have gone down significantly due to the market prefering autos. But some of us still prefer a stick shift and wonder what the fuss is about :)

So personally my opinion is, if you are after a manual, do not make things like colour a sticking point, because you might be dooming your chances of getting a good car like that presea guy by being too picky, when the selection available is so small. Concentrate on buying a car which is well maintained and in good condition, so you can look forward to trouble free motoring. This is the first one I've seen up for sale, so they don't come up too often.

This is not a sales pitch by the way. I stand to gain nothing by getting Supras car sold. But I've spoken to plenty of guys who've missed out on good cars because of criteria. Aesthetics are important, but its a lot easier to paint a car rather than correct issues caused by accidents and bad maintenance.

Yeah.. its too bad manuals are getting extinct in SL. Weirdly even amongst the younger crowd..in spite of being cheaper, fun to drive and easier to maintain. Its not so in the uk..

I agree with u on the fact that i should focus on the maintenence and history. Mechanicals is THE main priority. Actually i dont usually give a damn about vehicle color..its just the reds i find difficult to digest;p anyway i ll rethink it.

Yeah.. its too bad manuals are getting extinct in SL. Weirdly even amongst the younger crowd..in spite of being cheaper, fun to drive and easier to maintain. Its not so in the uk..

I agree with u on the fact that i should focus on the maintenence and history. Mechanicals is THE main priority. Actually i dont usually give a damn about vehicle color..its just the reds i find difficult to digest;p anyway i ll rethink it.

No offence taken man, In fact when we were looking for an FD4 Civic four years ago and specifically wanted a Manual I also wanted either black or grey or even blue with a dark coloured interior. After a few months of looking I had found precisely no cars and even this only turned up at Stafford because the first owner traded it in for a CR-V. It wasn't my first choice of colour but it was a good car in great shape so I didn't hesitate to go for it.

As to your second question, no have not done any mods. Bone stock and has been well taken care of. As far as I'm aware the head is the same as the R18.

• 10 months later...

Reviving an old thread.

One of my very good friends is seeking my help in finding a good Civic FD (non-hybrid). This thread was the best help.

Now it's confirmed that my friend is settling for an FD1. With very little number of samples available to look, what I'm not sure is what's the reasonable price I need to offer for a well looked after car. Can our fellow Honda community help me with this?

Reviving an old thread.

One of my very good friends is seeking my help in finding a good Civic FD (non-hybrid). This thread was the best help.

Now it's confirmed that my friend is settling for an FD1. With very little number of samples available to look, what I'm not sure is what's the reasonable price I need to offer for a well looked after car. Can our fellow Honda community help me with this?

Asking prices are way too high these days.

Even people who feared Honda and were using the good old Toyota's are now giving up there brand loyalty. Once I went to check a FD1 and the person who came before me (again a Toyota fan in a 121) saw me,paniced,did not check the car properly (damaged tail light and rear fender), no scanning or inspection at the agents, ...... Just took it on a test drive with the owner and visited the nearest ATM to withdraw cash to pay an advance. So i came home empty handed. This is the current hype on the FD series.

Avoid car dealers. Saw an Advert in the quick site quoting 33.75 for a manual fd4. If I'm correct, I can recall the same car was earlier advertised by the previous owner for LKR 3.1 Mil

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...