• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic Fd1(1.8) Vs. Fd4(1.6)

isurujosh

Between similar speced and aged Honda Civic FD1(1.8) and FD4(1.6), which car fetches a better market price in Sri Lanka? Furthermore which car returns better fuel consumption (not that I care but I think this will have an impact on eventual market price).

FD1 balanced power : weight car.... extra urban does 12 to 14 depending on driving pattern.... two variants for Asian Domestic Models : 1.8 GL and 1.8S - comes with paddle shift, cruise control, 9 to10 km/l extra urban 14km/l max... both the cars shares 5 speed. Auto or manual tranny (non cvt)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not the same Honda fan anymore but yes have to consider one due to FD1/FD4's versatile talents as a day-to-day family car and driving dynamics :D

Are you sure about the fuel figures quoted for FD1? I don't have such high expectations for fuel economy from an FD1. Do you reckon FD4 is under-powered and therefore less fuel efficient? I don't think so because the power-to-weight ratios of FD4 exceeds that of Axio 1.5 and Allion A15 (both of which are considered adequately powerful to achieve optimum fuel consumption)

FD1 in colombo 8.5-9 Km/Lt and out station max 10 Km/Lt. These figures are for my driving style(bit fast) pl.FD 4 is bit under powered for me.

Thanks Jaga for the information. In terms of performance, yes the FD4 is under-powered for a spirited driver(still FD4 is considerably faster than Axio/Allion A15).

• Like 1

My neighbour and close friend had an FD1 for about a year and it was pretty bad on juice for a Civic. It did something like 6-7 in the city (but it did get upto about 13 outstation). Mind you this car was purchased brand new by them. So after just over a year they flogged it. That's the story I keep hearing from everybody who has one so I would say expecting 8.5-9km/l from an FD1 is pure wishful thinking...

The Automatic FD4 is reported to return 7-8 in the city, again not that great when you compare it to axios and allions. But it is a much better drive of course.

And as for the lack of oomph in the FD4, you can solve that by finding a Manual. As a bonus, it returns 10-11 in the city on fuel as well. (Personal experience)

Edited by Supra_Natural
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for the valuable information Supra. It appears that FD4 is not such a bad proposition as a family car. I actually turned down the opportunity to buy a 2011 brand new imported well-equipped FD4 with only 11,000KM on the clock because it's got the smaller engine. Now I wonder whether I missed a worth-while opportunity :(

Edited by isurujosh

Thank you very much for the valuable information Supra. It appears that FD4 is not such a bad proposition as a family car. I actually turned down the opportunity to buy a 2011 brand new imported well-equipped FD4 with only 11,000KM on the clock because it's got the smaller engine. Now I wonder whether I missed a worth-while opportunity :(

How much was it offered for Isuru, and was it manual or auto?

Edited by The Don

What I mention ed 8.5 -9 km/lt is my own experience for last one and half years. I filled the tank everyweek and I never got less than 8 in any occasion. Daily I travel from Malabe to Fort in the morning at 06.20 A.M. and most of the days at 5.00 PM back to Malabe.

Edited by jaga

How much was it offered for Isuru, and was it manual or auto?

Auto for 4.8 million(after bargaining). I could have confirmed the deal last Friday evening but didn't mainly because it's 1.6L (and also because I was stretching too thin with the budget). Later the car had been sold for the original expected price of 4.95 million when I had made up my mind by Sunday morning:(

What I mention ed 8.5 -9 km/lt is my own experience for last one and half years. I filled the tank everyweek and I never got less than 8 in any occasion. Daily I travel from Malabe to Fort in the morning at 06.20 A.M. and most of the days at 5.00 PM back to Malabe.

I have absolutely no reason to not trust what you claim. Thanks, it is very welcoming indeed to hear that at least with right driving style, you can get such a very decent fuel economy with this car.

Auto for 4.8 million(after bargaining). I could have confirmed the deal last Friday evening but didn't mainly because it's 1.6L (and also because I was stretching too thin with the budget). Later the car had been sold for the original expected price of 4.95 million when I had made up my mind by Sunday morning:(

A friend recently bought the Hybrid version of this generation of Civic with 6000 miles on it for around the same price, not that I'm encouraging you to buy a Hybrid.

Thanks for the info. How about your long runs? (Ex: highway)

Too bad. I thought it should be doing at least 13 :-|

You can't expect a good fuel economy on high ways . My ave. speed was 120km/Hr and I reached 177km/hr also on a stretch (Just tried out for a while).

If you could do between 70-80 km/Hr on a flat road like polonnaruwa , Anuradapura or Kanthale in early hours or late nights,probably it will do as you thought but I have never done.

A friend recently bought the Hybrid version of this generation of Civic with 6000 miles on it for around the same price, not that I'm encouraging you to buy a Hybrid.

I am not sold on hybrids in Sri Lanka as yet. To begin with it is more expensive to insure and maintain. I wonder with my extent of usage, I could reap any net-benefit by opting for Civic hybrid. If at all I will only consider Prius 3rd general touring model.

Too bad. I thought it should be doing at least 13 :-|

By now I have checked out quite a few FD1s and some owners said they have done 13 or so when they go outstation under smooth driving. (most of the FD1 owners I encountered are real gentleman and I can't see them quoting false figures to gain a profit)

Driving sytle makes a big difference to fuel economy when driving outstation. I can relate to a first hand experience where we travelled to Ampara from Mahiyangaynaya in our Honda City and on the way it was my father driving at speeds closer to 70kmph. Car returned 16.5 kmpl. On the way back I was driving consistently above 120kmph and once even touching 160kmph. Car only returned 10.5 kmpl. Same car, same carrying weight and traffic levels, the difference made by driving style was 6kmpl!!!

By now I have checked out quite a few FD1s and some owners said they have done 13 or so when they go outstation under smooth driving. (most of the FD1 owners I encountered are real gentleman and I can't see them quoting false figures to gain a profit)

Driving sytle makes a big difference to fuel economy when driving outstation. I can relate to a first hand experience where we travelled to Ampara from Mahiyangaynaya in our Honda City and on the way it was my father driving at speeds closer to 70kmph. Car returned 16.5 kmpl. On the way back I was driving consistently above 120kmph and once even touching 160kmph. Car only returned 10.5 kmpl. Same car, same carrying weight and traffic levels, the difference made by driving style was 6kmpl!!!

You're right. It's the opposite here;)

My dad only gets 10-11 in my ES8 where I get around 14.5 in long distance.

He has a bad habit when following a slow moving vehicle and waiting to overtake, he always put it into 3rd gear.

And yes, 13 for an FD1 seems reasonable. At the end, Honda loves to rev but you will have to pay the price;)

You can't expect a good fuel economy on high ways . My ave. speed was 120km/Hr and I reached 177km/hr also on a stretch (Just tried out for a while).

If you could do between 70-80 km/Hr on a flat road like polonnaruwa , Anuradapura or Kanthale in early hours or late nights,probably it will do as you thought but I have never done.

Actually you can expect good economy on highways... constant speed in high gears is what gives maximum efficiency.

I took a Recent trip on the E01 that returned something like 14Km/l and that was mostly at 120 or slightly above with a couple of instances of going significantly faster than that as well..

• 1 year later...

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, since I'm also hpoing to go for a Civic FD series thought of getting some more info.

Anyone know fuel consumtion of FD3, im thinking to go for a FD3 or a FD4 model, and concerned about fuel consumtion a bit (I know it won't be efficient as Toyota's :D)

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread, since I'm also hpoing to go for a Civic FD series thought of getting some more info.

Anyone know fuel consumtion of FD3, im thinking to go for a FD3 or a FD4 model, and concerned about fuel consumtion a bit (I know it won't be efficient as Toyota's :D)

The FD3 is reported to do 10-11KM/l in town and a bit more outside... Poor for a hybrid to be honest. And the hybrid motor really takes away any driving fun the FD Civic can provide... So you're better off with an FD4...

i drive a FD 4. its gives 7-8 in colombo and around 12 long distance. i dont expect anything more than that either.. of course its not like an axio and u should not be buying a FD if fuel is a concern :-)

• Like 3