• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

H3 Bulbs

Schiffer

Question

Guys, i know its bad for the socket and and the switch to change the H4 bulbs

from 55w -> 100w

does the same results apply for the H3 bulbs?

The 55w bulbs in my fog lamps are sort of useless at night.

And the foglamps have a plastic cover. Therefore is it okay to install a HID kit?

Guys, i know its bad for the socket and and the switch to change the H4 bulbs

from 55w -> 100w

does the same results apply for the H3 bulbs?

The 55w bulbs in my fog lamps are sort of useless at night.

And the foglamps have a plastic cover. Therefore is it okay to install a HID kit?

generally, auxiliary lights are wired via a separate relay so it shouldn't be a problem to the power switch. Running high wattage bulbs will obviously put out more heat so there is a chance of light housing, holder getting melted due to excess heat. I've done the same many times but never had any issues. just make sure power wires and light housings are of quality .

installing HID's shouldn't be a problem on your plastic lenses but the light will scatter a lot more cos the housings were not designed for HID projection. Aim it low and you can reduce the chances of blinding on coming traffic

• Like 1

generally, auxiliary lights are wired via a separate relay so it shouldn't be a problem to the power switch. Running high wattage bulbs will obviously put out more heat so there is a chance of light housing, holder getting melted due to excess heat. I've done the same many times but never had any issues. just make sure power wires and light housings are of quality .

installing HID's shouldn't be a problem on your plastic lenses but the light will scatter a lot more cos the housings were not designed for HID projection. Aim it low and you can reduce the chances of blinding on coming traffic

Thanks alot ripper, im trying to find a pair 100W bulbs of these but no luck yet. i did came across a H3 Yellow PIAA bulb, the guy in the shop has sold One bulb separately so only 1 yellow bulb left with him.

315Z7s-YY5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can tell you how effective 55w Osram Nightbreaker H3s are once I fit them in this weekend.

Thnax mate. :)

Yellow is the best for fog lights IMO, they were actually required in Japan right up to the early 90s (which is why you see some of the older JDMs with yellow lenses i.e. isuzu trucks, 130 series Crowns etc).

Yellow is the best for fog lights IMO, they were actually required in Japan right up to the early 90s (which is why you see some of the older JDMs with yellow lenses i.e. isuzu trucks, 130 series Crowns etc).

same here mate. thats why im searching for a yellow bulb. didnt came across a reasonable pair with a top rated seller on ebay either :/

I ordered 2 55W OSRAM SYLVANIA ALLSEASON SUPER H3 bulbs from ebay, yet to get them. Had 2 PIAA plasma ion H3 bulbs, really nice bright yellow but 1 burnt out after about 6 months of use so wouldn't really recommend it.

H3ALS-1.jpg

same here mate. thats why im searching for a yellow bulb. didnt came across a reasonable pair with a top rated seller on ebay either :/

Edited by c1nder

I ordered 2 55W OSRAM SYLVANIA ALLSEASON SUPER H3 bulbs from ebay, yet to get them. Had 2 PIAA plasma ion H3 bulbs, really nice bright yellow but 1 burnt out after about 6 months of use so wouldn't really recommend it.

yikes.. u still got that 1 good PIAA plasma ion?

Schiffer, I second what terrybytango is suggesting is as well. I did the same with my car as well by replacing the standard spec halogents (55/60) with Koito super bright light producing light equivalent to 100/90. This way there is no extra drain on the battery, little increase in heat and clearly the lights are brighter.

In my older car I just upgraded the halogens to 100/90 and the result was the same but with a lot more heat. The battery and the electricals coped ok with that but the lenses on those headlights were glass while the current ones are plastic.

The Koitos were sourced from Japan. Never seen it sold in SL but they are virtually identical to the Osram Nightbreakers in spec.

Edited by The Don

I ordered 2 55W OSRAM SYLVANIA ALLSEASON SUPER H3 bulbs from ebay, yet to get them. Had 2 PIAA plasma ion H3 bulbs, really nice bright yellow but 1 burnt out after about 6 months of use so wouldn't really recommend it. H3ALS-1.jpg

Avoid Sylvania if you can, they're like B grade Osrams. Sylvania is mainly an American brand, they use the same nomenclature as Osram i.e. Nightbreaker, Silverstar etc, but if you browse the US forums, they're inferior to their Osram counterpart. That's why I specifically went after Osram on ebay UK.

PA*A AUTO had jap koito's last time I was looking, back in Dec.

Schiffer, I second what terrybytango is suggesting is as well. I did the same with my car as well by replacing the standard spec halogents (55/60) with Koito super bright light producing light equivalent to 100/120. This way there is no extra drain on the battery, little increase in heat and clearly the lights are brighter.

In my older car I just upgraded the halogens to 100/120 and the result was the same but with a lot more heat. The battery and the electricals coped ok with that but the lenses on those headlights were glass while the current ones are plastic.

The Koitos were sourced from Japan. Never seen it sold in SL but they are virtually identical to the Osram Nightbreakers in spec.

Damn too late now. Will try them out anyway and post how they are compared to the PIAA plasma ions.

Avoid Sylvania if you can, they're like B grade Osrams. Sylvania is mainly an American brand, they use the same nomenclature as Osram i.e. Nightbreaker, Silverstar etc, but if you browse the US forums, they're inferior to their Osram counterpart. That's why I specifically went after Osram on ebay UK.

Schiffer, I second what terrybytango is suggesting is as well. I did the same with my car as well by replacing the standard spec halogents (55/60) with Koito super bright light producing light equivalent to 100/120. This way there is no extra drain on the battery, little increase in heat and clearly the lights are brighter.

In my older car I just upgraded the halogens to 100/120 and the result was the same but with a lot more heat. The battery and the electricals coped ok with that but the lenses on those headlights were glass while the current ones are plastic.

Thanks for the suggestion mate. and i did came across a pair of those kioto's u mentioned in panchikawatta. each bulb sold speratly though. they had H4's and H3's as well

yeah with their extravagant packaging :D

h8ion.jpg

ah bummer, its H8 :/

How much were those Koitos in Panchikawatte? Mine came as a pair in a plastic box.

they were around 1800/- each. came in a small red and white box

and had a very light bluish white glass cover like the Osram night-breakers

Schiffer, I second what terrybytango is suggesting is as well. I did the same with my car as well by replacing the standard spec halogents (55/60) with Koito super bright light producing light equivalent to 100/120. This way there is no extra drain on the battery, little increase in heat and clearly the lights are brighter. In my older car I just upgraded the halogens to 100/120 and the result was the same but with a lot more heat. The battery and the electricals coped ok with that but the lenses on those headlights were glass while the current ones are plastic. The Koitos were sourced from Japan. Never seen it sold in SL but they are virtually identical to the Osram Nightbreakers in spec.

Would you happen to have a sample of the packaging your bulbs came in? Or an SKU code? I'm curious about these Koitos.

Edit: For a price comparison, the H4 and H3 Nightbreakers cost me LKR 2651 and 3211 respectively (yes the H3s are more expensive). This includes all charges for them to arrive at my doorstep.

Edited by terrabytetango

This is the exact item I bought (at the exact price as well). Clearly I paid more for them than the Panchikawatte price (with the high rate of the pound its close to 6000 for the pair).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bulbs-Koito-V-White-H4-Halogen-Vwhite-90-100W-pair-/400150811083?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2ad8d1cb#ht_545wt_712

This is the exact item I bought (at the exact price as well). Clearly I paid more for them than the Panchikawatte price (with the high rate of the pound its close to 6000 for the pair).

http://www.ebay.co.u...cb#ht_545wt_712

unfortunately most koito's you get in sl are fakes.

I was sold a pair that was supposed to be originals but both of em were llittle over rs1000 and their performance aint good at all.

despite it being 90/100w. I run hellla h1 100w on spotties and those are leagues ahead.

On an earlier post somebody was sharing a bad experience with PIAA's. Those bulbs too cost over 5000k SLR for a genuine pair. And that brand too unfortunately has a lot of fakes :(

I've been running a genuine piaa h3 on my xr250 for the past 4 years or so. really good light. bought off www.bajadesigns.com

Thanks must keep them in my wish list for my next purchase.

I personally don't think they are any better or worse than the Osrams. Its just brand loyalty on my part. Over here I mostly use Bosch because they are more widely available than Osrams (as in you can pop into the local Halfords and buy them)

Edited by The Don

Lucky!! Yeah paid about 5K for the pair. Bought them off ebay though.

http://www.ebay.com/...K-/300684263667

They looked original with pretty convincing packaging :(

417096_10150524531824775_1735231221_n.jpg

unfortunately most koito's you get in sl are fakes.

I was sold a pair that was supposed to be originals but both of em were llittle over rs1000 and their performance aint good at all.

despite it being 90/100w. I run hellla h1 100w on spotties and those are leagues ahead.

On an earlier post somebody was sharing a bad experience with PIAA's. Those bulbs too cost over 5000k SLR for a genuine pair. And that brand too unfortunately has a lot of fakes :(

I've been running a genuine piaa h3 on my xr250 for the past 4 years or so. really good light. bought off www.bajadesigns.com

Edited by c1nder

MotorCade has H3 bulbs in 100w. They had narva and hella last time i was there. no idea about low kelvin fog bulbs

i got a set of narva with me mate. but the H3 and H4 are both the Blue glass light. the output is not that much

but im planing to fix the H4 Narva 100W tomorow. till i get a proper 4500K or 5000K H.I.D kit