• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Battery

akboselk

my car not driven for five (5) days and today morning I found it not start and looks like it is weak / battery (exide battery on it)

this is a new car and according to the dealer, they said this can happen because car was in their yards for few weeks before i purchase.

Is this a common issue for exisde ?

are there any good batteries ? ( friend suggest Yuasa , but like to know more about AL members)

Thanks

Edited by akboselk

I've had exide in both my cars & my generator.. All of them died within 1 n a half years.. I'm now using global - normal & maintenance free (for just over a year) and so far they seem seems excellent..

my car not driven for five (5) days and today morning I found it not start and looks like it is weak / battery (exide battery on it)

this is a new car and according to the dealer, they said this can happen because car was in their yards for few weeks before i purchase.

Is this a common issue for exisde ?

are there any good batteries ? ( friend suggest Yuasa , but like to know more about AL members)

Thanks

Go to a battery shop and have it tested. If it's usable you can have them charge it.

yes, i need to do it

however my worry was , why this battery failed for 5 days inactivity ? is this normal for this brand ?

'akboselk',

Go to an electrician and get your alternator charging rate checked up it should be 14.5 volts when you accelerate the engine.

Check at the same time any discharge when you stop the engine. Electrician should have a mille ampere meter to check that.

If there is a high draw of current when the engine is stopped then there can be a battery drain in few days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'akboselk',

Go to an electrician and get your alternator charging rate checked up it should be 14.5 volts when you accelerate the engine.

Check at the same time any discharge when you stop the engine. Electrician should have a mille ampere meter to check that.

If there is a high draw of current when the engine is stopped then there can be a battery drain in few days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Thanks for the advice

First i went to battery shop and checked the battery. service guy told that it was completely drained and re-charged 24 hrs. then they checked it and told it is ok and no issue with battery.

also told it is Indian exide battery ( my car is suzuki swift 2011 - indian) and 35 AMPS one. also suggested to put 45 AMPS battery according to the manufacture advice.

Battery image >> http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-1580-156.html

Is there any advantages between these 35 / 45 amps batteries ? and will 45 one is ok to my vehicle ?

Thanks

Edited by akboselk

Thanks for the advice

First i went to battery shop and checked the battery. service guy told that it was completely drained and re-charged 24 hrs. then they checked it and told it is ok and no issue with battery.

also told it is Indian exide battery ( my car is suzuki swift 2011 - indian) and 35 AMPS one. also suggested to put 45 AMPS battery according to the manufacture advice.

Battery image >> http://www.image-sha...g-1580-156.html

Is there any advantages between these 35 / 45 amps batteries ? and will 45 one is ok to my vehicle ?

Thanks

'akboselk,

According to your post I understand you have a car Manufactured in 2011. So your battery must be under 24 months. Because the Marutis are imported to srilanka and they are in their yard for some time before they are registered and given to buyers.

There is no difference by trying to install a bigger amperage battery. Only thing the cost is little more expensive. I use a maruti van with a 35 ampere battery done little over 12000 KMs. So far no issues, regularly test the battery water level.

My advice is to as you have recharged the battery wait for few more days and see the battery will go down again.

Did you test the battery drain when everything is off switched on the car, that is very important if there is a high drain then battery can go down in few days? Some times there may be a fault in the battery you have. You start the car daily run for few min then stop the engine. OR have a small battery charger connected to keep the battery full allways.

If you want to buy a new battery go in for new Maintance free Battery.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'akboselk,

According to your post I understand you have a car Manufactured in 2011. So your battery must be under 24 months. Because the Marutis are imported to srilanka and they are in their yard for some time before they are registered and given to buyers.

There is no difference by trying to install a bigger amperage battery. Only thing the cost is little more expensive. I use a maruti van with a 35 ampere battery done little over 12000 KMs. So far no issues, regularly test the battery water level.

My advice is to as you have recharged the battery wait for few more days and see the battery will go down again.

Did you test the battery drain when everything is off switched on the car, that is very important if there is a high drain then battery can go down in few days? Some times there may be a fault in the battery you have. You start the car daily run for few min then stop the engine. OR have a small battery charger connected to keep the battery full allways.

If you want to buy a new battery go in for new Maintance free Battery.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Sylvi

Thanks for valuable advice

I didn't check the battery with all switch off, so i think it is better idea and will check in next few days to see what happen

Edited by akboselk

• 5 years later...

Well, found this thread and thought of discussing a similar subject.

Well vehicles come with particular battery sizes as stock with an AH rating. Say there was space in the tray and price didn't matter,

would there be any benefit in up-sizing the battery capacity. Stock alternator btw

Example : 75Ah stock setup vs 100Ah newer battery

8 hours ago, tiv said:

Well vehicles come with particular battery sizes as stock with an AH rating. Say there was space in the tray and price didn't matter,

would there be any benefit in up-sizing the battery capacity. Stock alternator btw

Unless you have additional retrofitted load like a sound system, I do not see any benefit in up-sizing the battery. Of course there will be some additional work for the alternator but that should not be much of a concern unless the car is used regularly for short journeys. However, for the battery to be of same physical size, the higher capacity one would need design changes to cell plates and separators thus compromising the reliability.

• Like 1

Increasing the amp rating is not the cure for your prob. What year is your vehicle?

Does it have an electronically regulated alternator.?

To what voltage does it chargeat?

Kindly refer previous discussions on this sub.

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo

23 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Q: how old is the battery?

There is no issue with my battery 

I just wanted to clarify a doubt. Hypothetical situation where we popped in a bigger battery 

22 hours ago, Magnum said:

My Hiace has a 75Ah battery too and battery shop guys for some reason recommend replacing it with a 100Ah battery -_-

Exactly wanted to clarify this 

20 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Increasing the amp rating is not the cure for your prob. What year is your vehicle?

Does it have an electronically regulated alternator.?

To what voltage does it chargeat?

Kindly refer previous discussions on this sub.

TT.

Um. There is no issue with my vehicle 

On 10/28/2017 at 8:48 PM, Rumesh88 said:

Unless you have additional retrofitted load like a sound system, I do not see any benefit in up-sizing the battery. Of course there will be some additional work for the alternator but that should not be much of a concern unless the car is used regularly for short journeys. However, for the battery to be of same physical size, the higher capacity one would need design changes to cell plates and separators thus compromising the reliability.

There is a bit of a load by aux lighting and sound system. But no big concern 

I have been using an E***e battery almost 03 years now. I take my robin hood (Hyundai hatch back car)  out only during weekends. So hibernation during week days

Every thing depends on how you care for your battery. check the water level regularly and clean the terminals.

My only advise Don't give too much of a load to the engine as soon as you start the car.

On 10/28/2017 at 12:29 PM, tiv said:

assume that you have a water tank and tank has a tiny leak which is proportional to tank capacity. and you have water pump to fill the tank to top up it.

water tank = battery

water pump = alternator

more capacity = more leak = more work to fill up.

• Thanks 1

Dear Friends,

This is little different topic regarding the battery. I am using a Honda Grace 2014 Dec. I bought in 2015 Sept. (Direct imported.) 7100 was on the clock. I am using the car daily and still using the same 12V Battery. Now 56,000 done.

In every periodic service I get the battery checked and found it is in good working condition and no need to replace. Since it is almost 3 years now I am little confused that it may fail at any time.

What is the normal life time of a 12V battery? What is your advice? Is it Ok to continue? How could I find when to replace before I go into trouble by a sudden failure?

Kindly advice.

Many thanks.

24 minutes ago, RKTS said:

Dear Friends,

This is little different topic regarding the battery. I am using a Honda Grace 2014 Dec. I bought in 2015 Sept. (Direct imported.) 7100 was on the clock. I am using the car daily and still using the same 12V Battery. Now 56,000 done.

In every periodic service I get the battery checked and found it is in good working condition and no need to replace. Since it is almost 3 years now I am little confused that it may fail at any time.

What is the normal life time of a 12V battery? What is your advice? Is it Ok to continue? How could I find when to replace before I go into trouble by a sudden failure?

Kindly advice.

Many thanks.

A proper battery check will reveal if the battery is nearing the end of its lifetime. The CCA (Cold Cranking Amperage) of the battery drops as the battery gets old and this is something that can be tested easily. If everything is within range, don't worry. 

If you're still concerned, keep a pair of jumper cables in your car in case of an emergency. 

• Like 2