• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Method To Hill Start

akboselk

Hello friends

regarding manual transmission hill start

I tried both clutch balancing and hand break method to hill start but still not master any of those and sometime engine stops or car roll back

what is the best method to go with (or practice) ?

Tks

Suppose now you have stopped the car on a hill and face of the car towards to the hill top.

Assume hand break is on and gear already shifted to 1st at last stop.

Press the brake pedal fully from the right foot.

Now press the clutch pedal fully from your left foot and start the vehicle.

Now your gear is in 1st (or if it was in neutral shift it to 1st ) and slightly start to release the clutch pedal and at one moment you feel car starts to vibrate.

Now remove your right foot from the brake pedal and slightly press the accelerator (gas pedal) and slowly release the clutch pedal fully and release the hand break too.

Now your car will start to move front without any problem. Do it few times carefully and practice it.

• Like 2

Sampath's method seems OK to me. For someone new to manual transmission, this might seem like a difficult thing to do, but it all comes along with experience.

Some points that might help you get going:

The key is to familiarize yourself with the release point of the clutch – the point at which your vehicle starts to move as you release the clutch. This eliminates the necessity to wait until the car vibrates.

To avoid the car from stalling, you'll also have to press the accelerator pedal a bit more than when on flat ground.

Keep an eye on the rear view mirror to make sure that no vehicle is too close to you, some drivers forget to leave a bit of space in front of them, just in case the vehicle in front rolls behind.

I had a situation in one of my earlier cars where the handbrake was not functioning on steep hills. In this case the situation gets tricky because as soon as you let go of the brake pedal, the car starts to roll back if the accelerator isn't pressed immediately plus if the clutch has not reached the release point. A series of quick footwork is necessary to smoothly take off in this kind of situation.

Good luck!

• Like 3

oh and instead of using the e-brake i have seen my dad using his left foot on the clutch and he has his top part of his right foot on the brake and bottom on the accelerator, then he moves his top part of his foot away from the brake to the accelerator. im not recommending this as your a beginner but if you are having an issue with your e-brake like 'davy' mentioned you can use it

• Like 1

oh and instead of using the e-brake i have seen my dad using his left foot on the clutch and he has his top part of his right foot on the brake and bottom on the accelerator, then he moves his top part of his foot away from the brake to the accelerator. im not recommending this as your a beginner but if you are having an issue with your e-brake like 'davy' mentioned you can use it

Yeah I do that too at times... requires your foot to go in a slightly awkward angle but besides that its fairly ok..

Take a huge brick and place it behind your rear tire ... take your time and take off like you normally would

lol, j/k

There's a piece of wood hanged and dragging behind the wheels of a bullockcart. It's called "pallam polla" don't know of any english term for translation. That thing does the work of what the brick suppose to do in your post. If the cart is to move backwards, the wooden piece gets stuck and prevents the move.

• Like 5

Yeah I do that too at times... requires your foot to go in a slightly awkward angle but besides that its fairly ok..

yep, he places his foot in a really awkward angle, i havent tried it though.

Gosh... simple stuff... Hold the clutch and brake down on 1st gear.... This is how i do it.. lol! If you have good muscle reflexes...

Gear on 1st... brake and clutch held down.. quick release the brake and stamp the accelerator while lifting the clutch off...

If your fast... you will feel no vehicle judder/ clutch drag/over rev... the vehicle will just take off like it normally does... you have to be fast thoh.

Warning: the above method may sometimes cause wheel spins which is super cool!

Warning: the above method may sometimes cause wheel spins which is super cool!

so doing a simple wheel spins is super cool? then doing a burnout and handbrake turn must be ultra cool in your world. :rolleyes:

bit out of context in one of the reviews i watched about the KIA Sorento, they mentioned that it has an feature that stops it rolling back for few seconds. quite cool

Thanks for the info.

Today I saw an advertisement for Jeep Compass 2012.

The feature you said was there and mentioned as "Hill Start Assist"

Just checked with Google.

The hill-start assist is a variant of hill-holder used by some semi-automatic, clutchless transmissions. The system prevents the car from rolling away when trying to pull away on an up or down gradient, simulating a "handbrake hill start" manual drivers will be familiar with. The system engages automatically when a gradient of 3% or more is detected; it then acts to hold the car stationary for two seconds after the brake is released giving the driver time to apply the throttle.

@sampath Yeah some cars have this too. I'm pretty sure the 3rd gen Prius has it, as the one I sometimes drive suddenly died on an incline in EV mode, and during the transition, I took off my foot from the brakes and it didn't roll back.

Sampath Gunasekera

I tried your method and looks like it is easier than others and able to do without roll back most of the occasion.

However, after 10 or more minutes of practice, i felt there was a mild smell like tire burning and friend told me it is clutch burning

is this true ? and is this due to nature ( the way i use clutch) in my practice ? If so what was my error and how to solve it ?

Thanks

Edited by akboselk

dude, do you try to stay stationary with a clutch balance????? Of course you're gonna wear out your clutch; and before you ask if its a bad thing, YES its a VERY bad thing.

Within those 10 minutes you probably burnt/wore off arond what you would have naturally worn off in a year or so..

"..do you try to stay stationary with a clutch balance .. "

No, vehicle is moving upto the hill slowly everytime, but the clutch not fully engaged for few seconds. RPM less than 3500 most of the occasion. (because when I fully release the clutch soon, when the vehicle begin to move, then the engin stall)

Edited by akboselk

"..do you try to stay stationary with a clutch balance .. "

No, vehicle is moving upto the hill slowly everytime, but the clutch not fully engaged for few seconds. RPM less than 3500 most of the occasion. (because when I fully release the clutch soon, when the vehicle begin to move, then the engin stall)

3500 ?? thats wayyyy too much dude.. try to do the clutch balancing at lower RPM. i would say, around 1500-2000 if not in a hill.

3500 ?? thats wayyyy too much dude.. try to do the clutch balancing at lower RPM. i would say, around 1500-2000 if not in a hill.

yes, on a flat ground it is ok and everything fine, however all these post related to hill start as mentioned on subject line on this thread