• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Type Of Bike Should I Buy?

oberon

Hey guys,

A forum newbie here.

I am looking into buying myself a bike and I need to pick your brains. I have searched the forums and I see a trend/bias towards Japanese bikes with most Indian bikes being frowned upon. But here's what I would like you to consider should you decide to weigh in:

• I do not have a very good understanding of the mechanical aspects of a bike. So if something is not working right, I do not know how to fix it and I tend to take it to a garage.
  • I do not have a lot of time to be repairing or upgrading or fine-tuning the bike. I need it to just work.
  • I do not have the experience to pick out a good reconditioned bike (so might get stuck with a dud)
  • I want something that is not terribly common (like pulsars for example)

Taking this into consideration, what would you suggest I get? I have a budget of 300k.

On the Indian bike side, I have the option of an FZ or Fazer.

On the opposite side, there is the Yamaha TW200, Volty(not sure about this one), Jade, and others. I would love a Hornet but its a bit expensive and it guzzles fuel like a bear in a honey factory.

Going by my bike-noobness should I stick with an Indian bike?

Appreciate any advice.

I think its wrong to assume just because you get a brand new indian bike you will be free of trouble.

Also a recon jap bike doesn't mean you'll spend hours at the garage.

If you have friends in garages they'll tell you how good their business is thanks to indian bikes.

This is not me be biased towards jap bikes bur rather a fact.

• Like 2

I think its wrong to assume just because you get a brand new indian bike you will be free of trouble.

Also a recon jap bike doesn't mean you'll spend hours at the garage.

If you have friends in garages they'll tell you how good their business is thanks to indian bikes.

This is not me be biased towards jap bikes bur rather a fact.

But how do I choose a good jap bike that won't give me trouble? Without any experience? I checked out some bikes in Superbikes (forgot the name) ethul kotte. Saw some TW200s for 240k and Hornets for 375k (starting). I have no idea how good they are. Buying from Honda or Yamaha means that if there is a problem the warranty should cover it.

My personal experience is maintenance cost of Indian bikes shoot up like a rocket after first 30,000 km, Yo will need to replace parts every month. Aging is faster. The body starts rusting quickly compared to Japs. Unless you are planning to resale it with in 02 or 03 years using an Indian bike will be a headache

i`ve used a CBR 250 before switching to 4 wheels...honest opinion is that its a superb bike with the most minimal of garage visits. Just do you services in regular intervals and a decent tune up...the cibby should run fine...i used to get about 16km/l but thats cos it was carrying a 100kg ass around it...the riding pleasure you get is tremendous and end of the day its a CBR if your that certain person who likes an ego boost there you go it satisfies that as well.

The CBR250 seems a little bit above my price range. The Kawasaki too.

Any other suggestions? Where can I look at these bikes?

well u can certainly find a CBR250 under 300,000 & a tracker too within that budget my friend

Edited by Chooti Putha
  • Like 1

well u can certainly find a CBR250 under 300,000 & a tracker too within that budget my friend

Where? :) Know anyplace that's trustworthy?

Are these better than the TW200?

(Pardon all the questions. I suppose that's why there is a 'newbie' label above my empty avatar)

Where? :) Know anyplace that's trustworthy?

Are these better than the TW200?

(Pardon all the questions. I suppose that's why there is a 'newbie' label above my empty avatar)

Well in my experience if i was looking for a bike & had the options you have i would go for the CBR250. a good condition well maintained bike would give u the least amount of trouble

As for searching for a bike i recommend u check the sunday news papers & also check online.

Edited by Chooti Putha

Oberon,

You need to take chances on this, you can just pray and expect your wish to be granted, Simply step in to a recondition Japanese bike, you might learn few lesson and might burn your fingers, trust me its worth the trouble. with respect for your wish list, you need to start somewhere.

I was riding a scooter and jumped for a VTR which had taught me lessons and i have learnt a lot. so go for it, you will succeed.

• Like 1

Don't you guys think, this guy admitting total noobness, that he should start with a really cheap Chinese or Indian, take his lumps, fall, crashes on that, and in about 6 months to a year, sell it and buy a proper bike like you're recommending?

I mean, these 250s you guys are talking about are pretty powerful, might be a bit much for a total noob. I know some people believe is going straight to the deep end, but there is a lot of money and a nice bike that can get wrecked in this picture too.

Well, I have had an Indian bike for a couple of years, but that was a scooter, which obviously won't compare to the bikes you have mentioned. The bike was pretty much a nightmare and I am tired to death of it, but repairs and service generally meant me dumping it at an authorized service centre and getting it back fixed. ut no

I need something with balls, but not too much balls where I have trouble with it. Maybe a single ball :) If I can decide on which to get, I am hoping to get one within a month or two.

Personally a tracker would be better to ride on a daily basis .As far as TW's go they are pretty old unless you run into a 225 which is pretty expensive.Most of this tw's are auction low grade bikes so have hi miles on the clock .

Try your best to go for a hornet in city limits it does close to 26 kmpl tops and a tracker does something around 28 .

Don't you guys think, this guy admitting total noobness, that he should start with a really cheap Chinese or Indian, take his lumps, fall, crashes on that, and in about 6 months to a year, sell it and buy a proper bike like you're recommending?

I mean, these 250s you guys are talking about are pretty powerful, might be a bit much for a total noob. I know some people believe is going straight to the deep end, but there is a lot of money and a nice bike that can get wrecked in this picture too.

not necessarily machang!

My first bike was a MTX 200R. Was barely 16 when i got it. Learnt to fix it DIY cos my parents wanted the bloody thing to break down and money was hard to come by when you're schooling :)

What OP might need is a friend who knows his way around bikes to maybe go with him to checkout a bike for it's condition etc.

Unlike with cars, faults in bikes are harder to hide IMO. Somebody who knows his stuff can pickout lemons :)

I would go for a XR, hands down the best for SL roads in every respect.

1+ dint wanna say that before cos obviously i'm ultra biased towards the XR :D But these dual sport bikes are not "liked" by everybody.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice. So the general advice is to go for a dual-sport? A Honda XR or Kawasaki Tracker? I will try to hunt down a mechanic or someone who knows his stuff to look for a good bike.

I mostly need it for daily commute and maybe a weekend ride out of colombo for two.

What OP might need is a friend who knows his way around bikes to maybe go with him to checkout a bike for it's condition etc.

Unlike with cars, faults in bikes are harder to hide IMO. Somebody who knows his stuff can pickout lemons :)

I agree.. When I was looking to buy my motorcycle, i didnt know jack sh!t about them.. joined a scrambler forum read every thread on the 2 bikes i was considering, made a few friends, and went with him to check out the bikes. After seeing 5-6 I was able to recognize a lemon when I saw it.

And frankly you cant live life saying "i dont need to know how it works i just want it to work" cos things give trouble, and you cant run to a shop everytime some nut or bolt comes loose. You NEED to know how it works, not only will it save you from being stranded on the road, but will keep you from bring ripped off by mechanics.

• Like 1