• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4D55 Engine To 4D56 Turbo Engine

CK2

Question

hi,

i have a 1983 Delica L300 which has 4D55 engine. i did an engine overhaul 7 -8 years back and now seems its time to do engine overhaul again. instead of engine overhauling i thought to swap the engine with 4d56 turbo engine. is this posible..?(my mechanic says it can be done) if it is i want to know what are the pros & cons of this...?

18 answers to this question

Personally I think the differential and gearbox should handle the extra power ok. But the 4D56 is a bit heavier than the 4D55 plus it might require a bigger radiator to cool it. And like kush said you might have to modify front suspension to take the extra weight (depends on the weight difference of course).

• Like 1

thanks guys..

anyway i found a 4d56 turbo engine for 2lk.. :speechless-smiley-004: , is it worth for that price..? also i never thought about suspension and other upgrades. if i have to replace Gear Box, differential, brake.etc.. it will be defintly beyond my budget :(

thanks guys..

anyway i found a 4d56 turbo engine for 2lk.. :speechless-smiley-004: , is it worth for that price..? also i never thought about suspension and other upgrades. if i have to replace Gear Box, differential, brake.etc.. it will be defintly beyond my budget :(

isnt that engine with the gearbox? :speechless-smiley-019:

4D56 isnt much heavier than a 4D55. They are almost the same engine. When you go for a 4D56 try to get a turbo intercooler one. Dont worry about suspension, as it can handle it with ease. Nothing need to be done with brakes either, your not replacing it with a rocket engine. The 4D56 is a way better engine and it will also couple with the gear box with no issue. Im an engineer for Mitsubishi NZ so take my word.

• Like 1

I do agree with NZer, D55 to D56 turbo is a direct swap. 4D55 turbo would've been an ideal swap but its hard to find used D55 turbos in the market.Even if you do, im sure thats not the best nowadays.

If you opt for a 4D56 non turbo or a non intercooled, things are very straight forward. But if the motor is 4D56 watercooled or intercooled turbo, we are talking about a bit of extra bucks spent and few more man hours of labor involved.

Whatever it is 56 is manytimes better than the old 55 and no extra mods required. I have done that swap once and she is running very healthy now.Go for it mate. Good luck!

MINIACE

• Like 1

My Strada has the 4d56 turbo.The low end acceleration isn't great but really picks up and goes once the turbo kicks in.A worthy upgrade IMO.I don't think you'll need to upgrade the suspension too cos the weight difference is small(AFAIK).

• Like 1

i found 4d56 T engines from several places and all of them are above 2.25lks and also i found a newly overhauled 4d55 for 30000/= from my friend( becos he swapped it with a 4d56 T :D ) . so i decide to go for it and it'll also save some money to do rest of the project. thank you very much guys really appreciate your help..