• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying A Vehicle Import Permit

AutoFan79

Hi Guys,

I’m a worker in the private sector, so no permits for me :(

But I have come across a chance of buying a permit (nothing is finalized yet, this is the stage where I seek advice from you experts re. this matter), one of those non transferable for 3 years permits.

I’m about to shoot some questions for which some of you might giggle from both ends but bear with me, help the poor guy who is seeking some advice/info.

1) Is it safe to import a vehicle with a permit I purchased from somebody? Is there any way to protect myself from say the permit holder claiming ownership for the vehicle at a later time?

If you are wondering if I know about the permit owner, hell no… He is a perfect stranger to me. All I’m looking for is some way of legally protecting my investment.

2) I’m short of cash (I know what you are thinking, but hey I like to drive a crossover too).

But can comfortably pay the loan I'm looking for (yeah, I get a decent salary).

But many places I checked with don’t offer loans for people like me who are trying to buy vehicles on permits don’t belong to them.

Are there any places you know of (again not those “poli-mudalalees”) that finance pathetic projects like these?

Appreciate much if somebody can shed some light on the above.

Like I said, am new to this permit business, just came across some chance and considering.

Many thanks for taking time to read my post!

Adios,

AF79

What normally happens is you get a signed affidavit from the seller of the permit thru a lawyer. Since the seller runs the risk of losing his job if there's an inquiry, generally they dont create a fuss. But the risk will always be there.

Even if the seller doesnt claim the vehicle, if someone who doesnt like the seller tips off the relevant department, there is a risk that the vehicle may get impounded if an inquiry happens.

Having said all this, I must also add that these rarely happen. But you must make decisions after being aware of the risks.

No company leases permit cars to third parties. Not even the famous loan sharks. U need to try for a personal loan.

• Like 1

Keeping up with the Jones's is not easy machang. Everything carries a risk.

But I think you'd rather get a second hand Crossover through a lease within your budget instead of standing to lose a lot of money.

The honeymoon period for ownership of some of these cars are over, now the true reality of the heavy monthly installments, the cost of servicing and all other factors are slowly sinking in and people are getting desperate. All you have to do dis check the classified for cars now to see how many cars with and without permits are up for sale.

You are better off getting off the Permit Bandwagon and get a vehicle within your means.

Like Crosswind says, all it takes is a jealous relative or a friend of wither party to rat you in and you will lose it all.

• Like 5

Hi Guys,

But I have come across a chance of buying a permit (nothing is finalized yet, this is the stage where I seek advice from you experts re. this matter), one of those non transferable for 3 years permits.

I’m about to shoot some questions for which some of you might giggle from both ends but bear with me, help the poor guy who is seeking some advice/info.

1) Is it safe to import a vehicle with a permit I purchased from somebody? Is there any way to protect myself from say the permit holder claiming ownership for the vehicle at a later time?

If you are wondering if I know about the permit owner, hell no… He is a perfect stranger to me. All I’m looking for is some way of legally protecting my investment.

2) I’m short of cash (I know what you are thinking, but hey I like to drive a crossover too).

But many places I checked with don’t offer loans for people like me who are trying to buy vehicles on permits don’t belong to them.

Are there any places you know of (again not those “poli-mudalalees”) that finance pathetic projects like these?

Like I said, am new to this permit business, just came across some chance and considering.

Adios,

AF79

Don't buy or sell a permit to a complete stranger.

Usually the thing goes between close friends and relatives, unless you got a very good legal knowledge, or if you are going trough a sale.

As some one said even if you know the guy the neighbors know that you don't receive a permit and you'r car is just one anonymous mail away from been taken away.

And there is a meaning to non-transferable isn't it. That means you buy the vehicle for the permit holder and hope that he will give it back :(

And it will be hard to fully insure as the claims will be given to the owner mentioned in the book.

So if you total the car the permit holder gets the money.

You are better off buying a transferable one that was bought for the previous permit or something slightly old rather than taking that risk.

So you can lease it, insure it and run it and after 3years you can exchange it for one bought for this permit giving a little bit more.

After all the KIA Sorentoes bought for the previous permit are now been sold to the price they where bought + the permit price (altough other SUVs are going for slightly higher prices) with only about 50k km on the clock

• Like 1

Buying a vehicle via an import permit is much better value for money. There is no risk involved. Everyone is aware of the Government officers selling there permits.

The people who have responded to your mail trail don't own a permit vehicle bcoz either they cannot afford it or ???

Its always better to go for a brand new vehicle than a recondition.

Its 100% safe...

Buying a vehicle via an import permit is much better value for money. There is no risk involved. Everyone is aware of the Government officers selling there permits.

The people who have responded to your mail trail don't own a permit vehicle bcoz either they cannot afford it or ???

Its 100% safe...

Please do not mislead people. Crosswind and VVTI have provided a balanced opinion. It can be done but not without risks. I've heard a permit goes for around 1 million these days and it fixes duty at 70% of the vehicle price. Considering the steep depreciation of a brand new vehicle after 3 years it is only worthwhile for a certain selection of vehicles else if you wait 3 years you can get it for a lot less than the permit price brand new + cost of permit.

Its 100% safe...

YOu are absolutely right. Neither me nor Corsswind can afford a 'Permit' vehicle. The current 'Tamaguchi' of our society.

But then we do not need a permit to buy a car for cheap. and suiffer thrlought the legality of it all, wait for 6+ months in the queue to get hold of a car, etc etc.

It's 100% safe ONLY if you know the seller of the permit and the agreement is rock solid. Because even best of friends falls out and family bickerings cause issues.

BTW, you must be someone who deals in permits, yes?

• Like 1

Everyone is aware of the Government officers selling there permits.

Its 100% safe...

Everyone was aware that a famous brothel existed in the building of a famous shopping mall in colombo. and many people thought it was 100% safe because it has existed for so many years. until one fine day......

• Like 7

Even the closest friends or relatives get altered their own thoughts after seeing the vehicle we import.... Speaking of own experience.... Never go for a permit and that also specially from a stranger coz that is one head ache..... believe me... the vehicle will be somewhat pleasing as its brand new and in my case it was a good japanese vehicle.... but other than that its a headache... U cant sell it when u like... u cant transfer until 3 years..... so many...

and also the risk is always there...

and its a totally personal Matter..... If ur upto it.... U can make it a reality... but if u r just trying....or doing to see it works... FORGET it.. :) i also replied ur message :)

• Like 1

YOu are absolutely right. Neither me nor Corsswind can afford a 'Permit' vehicle. The current 'Tamaguchi' of our society.

But then we do not need a permit to buy a car for cheap. and suiffer thrlought the legality of it all, wait for 6+ months in the queue to get hold of a car, etc etc.

It's 100% safe ONLY if you know the seller of the permit and the agreement is rock solid. Because even best of friends falls out and family bickerings cause issues.

BTW, you must be someone who deals in permits, yes?

@VVTI there is a clear legal bind between the permit hold and the vehicle buyer for 3 years. There is a document called the Power of Attorny which is generally signed in front of a lawyer and a witness to say that the vehicle buyer is financing this vehicle on behalf of the permit holder and this vehicle belongs to the financier and the name change will occur after 3 years of date of registration which in turn means that you can prove that you own the vehicle in any court.

Inorder for you to assume that i am a permit dealer clearly shows that you are an Immature twat who calls himself VVTI and will only reccomend a toyota. As long as i am consorned your posts are meaningless.. Watch your mouth next time!

@VVTI there is a clear legal bind between the permit hold and the vehicle buyer for 3 years. There is a document called the Power of Attorny which is generally signed in front of a lawyer and a witness to say that the vehicle buyer is financing this vehicle on behalf of the permit holder and this vehicle belongs to the financier and the name change will occur after 3 years of date of registration which in turn means that you can prove that you own the vehicle in any court.

Inorder for you to assume that i am a permit dealer clearly shows that you are an Immature twat who calls himself VVTI and will only reccomend a toyota. As long as i am consorned your posts are meaningless.. Watch your mouth next time!

Sorry for sticking my nose into other peoples business

but there is a meaning of calling it non-transferable, and if you are using a loop-hole in the law it will be closed and those who took advantage of it will have to face the consequences.

But don't worry the middle men who are the "money makers" of this business will have no problem although the seller and buyer will face it.

You remember what happened to the people who trusted investments like S*k****.

So it's not worth to risk 7-8 or even 9.6mill to buy someone else a car.

The seller and buyer in these occasions should have a exceptional understanding with each other

Once I went to a reputed car sale who does permit vehicles but they refused to give me info about the permit cars till they understood who I was.

But the small middle men who import one for a permit and sell it at home cconsider only about the cash.

One will not simply hand over power of attorney to a complete stranger. Also, the power of attorney document does not contain any details about change of ownership or anything else, it will simply state when the agreement expires. To transfer ownership, one must should have another mechanism in place for the transfer to occur at expiration.

You just don't get the point do you?

Yes you can get a letter signed by a lawyer and go thru the whole drama as you stated. That DOESN'T LEGALIZE AN ILLEGAL DEAL. That's the whole point that you probably understand but deny. Now let's see what may happen...

The deal: AF79 buys a permit from Siripala (govt officer) and the deal is brokered by Money Maker and his friend the Lawyer (purely hypothetical names)

Scenario 1: Nothing adverse happens during the permit period (3 years). AF79 is happy with his crossover SUV, Money Maker is happy with his 100000 cut on the deal. Lawyer is happy with his 15000 and Siripala is happy with the 900000 he gets. This is what happens nearly 99% (or more) of the time.

Scenario 2: Someone decides to send a petition to the relevant ministry. Even then Money Maker is happy with his 100000 cut on the deal. Lawyer is happy with his 15000. Both of them just deny any involvement on the deal or just vanish.

AF79 flashes around his so-called power of attorney at the inquiry, claiming ownership. Now the ministry of finance and planning gazzette notification regarding permits clearly says the vehicle cannot be sold, hired or even lent to anyone. So AF79 successfully proves that he owns the vehicle and at the same time he will end up proving that an illegal deal took place.

If this happens, according to the permit clauses, AF79 will have to pay all due taxes calculated based on the prevailing CIF value, exchange rate and tax rate and at the same time may end up paying a penalty. The other option AF79 has would be to donate the vehicle to the government (ie. get his vehicle impounded). Siripala on the other hand may end up getting suspended from the job and he can state that he doesn't have any money to pay the due taxes. So AF79 will not get any help from Siripala.

I hope this is clear to even the stupidest idiot on earth.

What made me laugh even more is the statement about VVTi recommending Toyotas to people :D

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 6

Hi Guys,

Many thanks to all of you for your invaluable advice and suggestions.

I knew it's going to be a mix of views. You guys got me thinking and it is good.

I am usually not from the camp of "buying using others' permits", in fact I have ignored such opportunities in the past but as MoneyMaker points out this is happening widely! Its seemed there are ways to alleviate the risks hence wanted check with you. But based on what I've heard and read above, it turns out there are no fail proof means of dealing with the risk. I value my peaceful sleep at night.

With that thought in mind, I thank all of you once again for your advice!

Cheers,

AF79

Permits have been selling for ages. This is done by not only Govt Officers, but some politicos. I am speaking from Govt Officers view. When I consider the number of permits been sold, virtually no petition or something like that been inquired & disciplinary action been taken. Officers are keen about their jobs. Normally any officer who receive the first permit willing to sell to overcome the economical problems. He will get another permit after five year which may actually buy a vehicle.

Once officer sell the permit both parties have risks. Therefore no one may like to raise disputes. Good understanding may benefit the both parties. Some of my friends have sold their permit, but never claimed the vehicle from the actual owner. I am not going to legalize an illegal thing. I saw a paper article that claim 90% of the permits are sold. This is a not a secret.

A person wish to buy a permit must consider the economical benefit doing so. You can ask a dealer to quote the permit price and normal price.

• Like 1

Permits have been selling for ages. This is done by not only Govt Officers, but some politicos. I am speaking from Govt Officers view. When I consider the number of permits been sold, virtually no petition or something like that been inquired & disciplinary action been taken. Officers are keen about their jobs. Normally any officer who receive the first permit willing to sell to overcome the economical problems. He will get another permit after five year which may actually buy a vehicle.

Once officer sell the permit both parties have risks. Therefore no one may like to raise disputes. Good understanding may benefit the both parties. Some of my friends have sold their permit, but never claimed the vehicle from the actual owner. I am not going to legalize an illegal thing. I saw a paper article that claim 90% of the permits are sold. This is a not a secret.

A person wish to buy a permit must consider the economical benefit doing so. You can ask a dealer to quote the permit price and normal price.

So I'm Guessing you have a permit that you want to sell? How much do you want for it and what is the category?

• Like 1

Retards, they keep coming, eh?

you know i'm kind of wondering if there's some pollutant in our water supply that's causing mental retardation. Just look at all the retards on the roads. 95% of them should not be allowed to touch a matchbox car, let alone moving piece of machinery that weighs a couple of thousand kilos.

• Like 6

Like others have mentioned my take on this is that its not worth the risk imagine you take a loan and buy the car and some relative of the sellers tips of the relevant dept and your car gets seized,which is a hassle and you have to go to courts and all that and on top of it you have to pay the loan installments monthly even though ur car is impounded and will affect your quality of life big time!

my personal advice is get a loan and buy car that you can afford to even if its a an older car like the Mitsubishi CB series lancers or the Trad Sunny's and believe me you will have peace of mind

Just getting a brand new car for the sake of it is not worth it mate

Hi Guys,

Adios,

AF79

Edited by carboy2011