• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Exporting From Sri Lanka To Uk

Phil

First of all I would like to say hello to anyone reading this post. I have just joined and this will be my first post.

I would like to transport two old British cars from Sri Lanka to the UK and would appreciate some advice on the best and most economical way to do this. Does Colombo have a RORO service for cars, or would it have to be a container? It costs about £1300 pounds to send a 20 foot container to Sri Lanka, does anyone know the cost the other way round?

Thanks guys

That's very disappointing, can anyone confirm this please?

Actually its not THAT disappointing Phil.

Think of it this way; you wouldn't like someone coming to the UK and buying up antiques and other items of historic value and taking them out of the country, would you?

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 4

Well, I am sure your ancestors took out enough from this country during the heady days of the Empire... think you should leave our cars alone, thank you very much... :)

Just come here for a visit, enjoy your hospitality and take away only memories of a great holiday... :)

• Like 5

Was definately a legal prohibition on pre-1945 cars being "exported" from the country. Lovely to think, though, about the contribution SL has made to maintaining so many Morris Minors around the world over the years through those local industries making and exporting body parts and bits 'n pieces.

Well, I am sure your ancestors took out enough from this country during the heady days of the Empire... think you should leave our cars alone, thank you very much... :)

Just come here for a visit, enjoy your hospitality and take away only memories of a great holiday... :)

What next they will ask to export some of anuradhapura and polonnaruwa.

• Like 1

I seriously wish you guys wouldn't jump to conclusions like this. If some guy wants to take his own cars that he was using to another country when he leaves here... Well, people want to do that the other way around too, innit? People who have been working abroad and using a car want to bring it with them when they return?

Actually its not THAT disappointing Phil.

Think of it this way; you wouldn't like someone coming to the UK and buying up antiques and other items of historic value and taking them out of the country, would you?

Amen to that!

What next they will ask to export some of anuradhapura and polonnaruwa.

Thank you for you friendly reply. For your information the cars in question were originally purchased by my late father and imported to Sri Lanka in the 60's

I seriously wish you guys wouldn't jump to conclusions like this. If some guy wants to take his own cars that he was using to another country when he leaves here... Well, people want to do that the other way around too, innit? People who have been working abroad and using a car want to bring it with them when they return?

Thank you sir, you have restored my faith in this forum

What are the cars you are trying to take back to UK??Well im sure you can take them back...Cause some people do export there cars abroad.....

What are the cars you are trying to take back to UK??Well im sure you can take them back...Cause some people do export there cars abroad.....

Hi thanks for your reply. I have a 1962 Landrover Series IIa Station Wagon and a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine Series V

Hi thanks for your reply. I have a 1962 Landrover Series IIa Station Wagon and a 1966 Sunbeam Alpine Series V

Phil, the government body you will have to contact is the department of import and export. They should be able to confirm what others in the forum have already said or advice you of the procedure. You will need patience as we still embrace British bureaucracy with open arms particularly in government offices.

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/

Shipping from SL to the UK will be slightly cheaper, at least far as freight cost is concerned since handling charges in SL is less. But you will pay quite a lot in handling charges at the other end. If you can do use a container since it will offer maximum protection for your precious cargo. It's not like insurance can replace something of sentimental value.

Edited by The Don

• 8 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone done this successfully before? I'm interested in exporting my dads (62-) van to Australia as he is planning to move there permanently. As per the rules in AU he can import a personal vehicle (He's had it under his name for longer than 25 years) so I'm curious as to what the legal requirements are in SL.

8 hours ago, kadsa98 said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but has anyone done this successfully before? I'm interested in exporting my dads (62-) van to Australia as he is planning to move there permanently. As per the rules in AU he can import a personal vehicle (He's had it under his name for longer than 25 years) so I'm curious as to what the legal requirements are in SL.

Well don't be sorry:

1.  You posted in the right spot
  2. You didn't open a new thread for the same questions
  3. The comments on this thread above are hillarious!

So for that: ?

Edited by Kavvz
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, kadsa98 said:

Is the van in question a Hiace Grand Cabin?

On 6/5/2012 at 11:16 AM, Phil said:

We have tried this few years back and it wasn't an option BUT I was talking to my father last week and he said it is possible.

He said he got the set of forms already and started doing all the paper works from next week.

This is all legal and we are going to send 1 Sri MM Touring car. The car belonged to my granddad and it's a kind of family history.

Now it's under my mother's name but my parents in SL unable to provide the care due to their age. The plan is to take the car to Japan so my brother can give good care for it.

Once I have more information I will provide more details about this and the process.

regards,

JC 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Magnum said:

Is the van in question a Hiace Grand Cabin?

It's a 1987 Volkswagen Caravelle C. He's had it since before I was born and even used to drop me at pre-school/school in it so it's got a lot of sentimental value hence the export attempt.

48 minutes ago, john cooper said:

We have tried this few years back and it wasn't an option BUT I was talking to my father last week and he said it is possible.

He said he got the set of forms already and started doing all the paper works from next week.

This is all legal and we are going to send 1 Sri MM Touring car. The car belonged to my granddad and it's a kind of family history.

Now it's under my mother's name but my parents in SL unable to provide the care due to their age. The plan is to take the car to Japan so my brother can give good care for it.

Once I have more information I will provide more details about this and the process.

regards,

JC 

Thanks for the reply! hope to hear an update soon!