• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My Land Rover Story

tiv

Well, I've been waiting for quite a while to put this up. Guess I found the time now.

Here goes

This is a timeline on how my Land Rover Defender 90 came into being well; for the second time actually..

Unfortunately due to various reasons had to part with it eventually..

Hope this'll be helpful to the 4x4 guys..

Started off in 2006, from a dude who purchased her from the police auction

This is what she was

6ga9w9.jpg

aw3y9f.jpg

Actual Military Spec Land Rover 90 (ex-STF )

Dude had tried to crudely restore it in a 4x4 joint, they've practically ripped him out..

Chassis was in pretty good shape though it needed a lotta work as you can see.. Had only surface rust.

bgqjv9.jpg

2heca6o.jpg

Took the entire old body and bits away...

Here goes the chassis after full restoration with a new rear cross member ( actually the old one was in horrid shape)

Well after the chassis was done the new suspension and drivetrain was mounted.. At that time decided to go with a 2.5 N/a (12J) engine due to effect of the overall cost, but it was also new with very few miles on the clock.

Also with new bulkhead and LT77(S) gearbox (new)

1viwg.jpg

2hoy16b.jpg

qstf8h.jpg

Chassis after restoration

Edited by tiv
  • Like 6

Well then the body came in, this body had the land rover half doors that came in the early models and the military spec.. Loved these door handles as they were indestructible!

During the painting

3531tt5.jpg

28t5pd.jpg

10okuqh.jpg

decided to keep the grill inside without the A/c condenser mod look preserve the original look..

Mounted the condenser under the chassis

The interior without trim

2wobtd3.jpg

And Voila! The paints done - Early 2007

e9dj5u.jpg

wtitzc.jpg

23h528j.jpg

New coils and Gabriel Shocks

dcbf3a.jpg

Just before a test run

alnau1.jpg

Before the weighing and reregistration at the DMT -OCT 2007

qrfb5s.jpg

Edited by tiv
  • Like 6

Well after a few mods this is how she ended up

Mods - Safari Snorkel, Warn M6000 winch,

Maxxis 33" Mudders

Land Rover Trailer Hitch

Hella Rallye Lamps

Land rover genuine Chequer plate sill tops

35larlf.jpg

nn5wkn.jpg

264s5j5.jpg

Edited by tiv
  • Like 1

It takes a lot to resurrect a vehicle in that shape and you've done an amazing job in bringing her back to life. Hats off to your effort. She looks great!

Super restoration. I wished you used original wheels with XYL or even Dunlops. having a bigger tire can kill much wanted lower rpms. Did you use original cav injector pump or did it have something else. well done mate. Hope you never sell it.

Good stuff man! How was it as an everyday car?

Well I didnt play with the clutch so it was stock, was a bit tough in the traffic, well other than that it was quite the runner, And the head turner

Looks like it's got English no plates. Was it among the batch rmv issued English plates for govt auctioned vehicles ?

Haha no, those were a set of those 'replicas' of the english plates.. :)

Super restoration. I wished you used original wheels with XYL or even Dunlops. having a bigger tire can kill much wanted lower rpms. Did you use original cav injector pump or did it have something else. well done mate. Hope you never sell it.

I did use a set of Michelins on the first few months, it didnt show much of a lag with the tyres.. These were quite comfortable and did wonders in the Yala runs etc..

Nothing was swapped or modded in the engine.. I used the original Lucas CAV pump, it even had a line filter

Thanks for the replies guys..! :)

Will build one again someday.. Its never over in a Land Rover!

• Like 2