• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Corolla 141

lkshan

I never got this black thing. I own a black car and it feels like an oven under the hot sun!

Amen to that.. Some times i put down all shutters and put A/C to max and drive until the heat is reduced. But it takes lot of time to cool compared to a light color car with light color interior. But i do find Black looks good when washed and polished.. Don't you guys agree?

When its washed.. :speechless-smiley-004:

11195545026_b6301eb99e_c.jpg

Edited by kmeeg
  • Like 1

As far as i know 2008 141s are Japanese made and ground clearance maters for me.

Doesn't really matter where the car is made. Japanese brands made in Malaysia/Thailand are pretty good in terms of build quality.

A friend of mine had a 1999 Ford Laser with a Malaysian made engine (the car's manual actually said that the engine is made in Malaysia).

15 years and 360000kms later, the car is still running like a charm. Starts on the first go every morning and no oil burning or any issues whatsoever.

Doesn't really matter where the car is made. Japanese brands made in Malaysia/Thailand are pretty good in terms of build quality.

A friend of mine had a 1999 Ford Laser with a Malaysian made engine (the car's manual actually said that the engine is made in Malaysia).

15 years and 360000kms later, the car is still running like a charm. Starts on the first go every morning and no oil burning or any issues whatsoever.

Yep most of these plants do is assembling. So the parts might come from different countries. Some of the vehicles imported from japan is made in a different country. For example latest town ace lite ace s series vans were manufactured in indonesia. But we imported them from japan as they were originated over there. :)

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Gran_Max

I never got this black thing. I own a black car and it feels like an oven under the hot sun!

Side note, not related to topic. If the car is too hot if you've parked it out-there, do the following.

Open the door either side.

Go to the opposite side, open it close it. do this few times. all the hot air will flow across the opened door. :)

[ I actually read this on somewhere. ]

Yep most of these plants do is assembling. So the parts might come from different countries. Some of the vehicles imported from japan is made in a different country. For example latest town ace lite ace s series vans were manufactured in indonesia. But we imported them from japan as they were originated over there. :)http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daihatsu_Gran_Max

This is true even with the agents. I was told that the BMW X3 is manufactured in Germany.

Then I saw this Discovery program on BMW USA plant where they were harping about how proud they are of the fact that the X3 is manufactured only there.

Today you really cant base the quality on were the car is manufactured as even the Japanese built / assembled source parts from other countries.

Toyota, Honda manufactured in Japan source certain parts from their plant in Thailand

KMeeg,

As i found on autolanka and on #### ,for my budget i think i can go for

1. Mazda 3 and axela ( YOM 2008)

2. lancer ex ( 2008)

3. Civic FD1 and FD4 (2007,2008)

4. Axio X (2008)

5. 121

6. 141

as for the 1 and 2 i dont like the look of these cars...

And FDS..... i like them. but i think they don't have enough ground clearance since i'm not from colombo and specially when i have to go to my home town due to the states of the roads its better to have a good ground clearance..... :D

121 is overpriced and little too old for my liking.....

So finally my choice became to axio and 141....

And.............

For me 141 looks better than axio

As far as i know 141 has more options than axio ( axio X doesn't even got a rpm meter)

Axio does better on fuel. But since i am not a regular traveller 2-3 kmpl does not matter for me....

I feel that from you'r choices the Lancer EX will be the best,

It has a better economy than the 141 and has a lot more options in the fully loaded model.

And it's still the current model (the 161 has replaced the 141) and even comparing those the Lancer EX seems better,

See the BRATT topic for a good comparison, and about a satisfied owner of an EX

• Like 1

I feel that from you'r choices the Lancer EX will be the best,

It has a better economy than the 141 and has a lot more options in the fully loaded model.

And it's still the current model (the 161 has replaced the 141) and even comparing those the Lancer EX seems better,

See the BRATT topic for a good comparison, and about a satisfied owner of an EX

the thing is that i don't like the look of lancer ex.... specially the interior......

A simple advice for anyone who seeks a car is to ignore everything said by this Sathyajith person.

He's a typical Axio/Premio fanboy who cant think anything beyond the cage he lives in.

That's so me Crosswind. :sport-smiley-004:

Thanks guys for commenting on this

So i guess i have to buy a AXIO or i will loose faith in cars and next time i will be on a bicycle :sad-smiley-050:

As far as i know 2008 141s are Japanese made and ground clearance maters for me.

i hope to use this car for 3-4 years and i guess the extra money i can save from buying 141 instead of axio would be more than enough to pump the extra fuel to compensate that 2-3 kmpl difference between two cars for whole 3-4 years plus to fit a additional reverse camera........... :medium-smiley-037:

You go on, get yourself a 141. Pump fuel with extra money and if there is more, pump some into your other holes as well.

That's so me Crosswind. :sport-smiley-004:

You go on, get yourself a 141. Pump fuel with extra money and if there is more, pump some into your other holes as well.

What's with the anger dude? Not everyone else has to buy the same car you have. We too have an Axio in the family while its a reliable vehicle it clearly is not the best car in the universe. Personally for me the 141 looks better and if the OP doesnt mind the 2-3kmpl difference that is the car to buy for him.

• Like 3

When someone asks for car buying advice, telling him to buy the car u want, is not the way. The right way to do it, is to point out the pros and cons of the car he wants to buy and point out any alternatives. Thereafter, let him decide. Its his money.

If an axio is the only vehicle u ever owned, then automatically u dont qualify to give car buying advice.

• Like 3

What's with the anger dude? Not everyone else has to buy the same car you have. We too have an Axio in the family while its a reliable vehicle it clearly is not the best car in the universe. Personally for me the 141 looks better and if the OP doesnt mind the 2-3kmpl difference that is the car to buy for him.

There is no anger dude. I know axio isn't the best car in the universe and seriously, did you think I had that in my mind? :sad-smiley-058: I just did a comparison. And with this kind of attitude ,we would still be having 80's vehicles and pumping fuel with the money we saved and going around the country. :speechless-smiley-004:

There is no anger dude. I know axio isn't the best car in the universe and seriously, did you think I had that in my mind? :sad-smiley-058: I just did a comparison. And with this kind of attitude ,we would still be having 80's vehicles and pumping fuel with the money we saved and going around the country. :speechless-smiley-004:

Actually, quite a lot of 80s vehicles were awesome vehicles...I still own one...and I know quite a few others who own 80s vehicles :)

• Like 2

Actually 80'S vehicles are better than most of the new ones coming nowadays.' Old is gold'. I didn't mean to insult old vehicles.But with time we move on. iRage, I'm pretty sure you are having a new vehicle also together with your 80's one,aren't you?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sathyajithj99" data-cid="267187" data-time="1412411226"><p>

Actually 80'S vehicles are better than most of the new ones coming nowadays.' Old is gold'. I didn't mean to insult old vehicles.But with time we move on. iRage, I'm pretty sure you are having a new vehicle also together with your 80's one,aren't you?</p></blockquote>

In SL? Nope. Only the old car. In japan i have a 90s car.in fact looking for another certain 80s car back in SL. I saw an awesome decal on a moris minor sometime back in the uk. It read "you might go past me, but will u outlast me.'

• Like 2

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="sathyajithj99" data-cid="267187" data-time="1412411226"><p>

Actually 80'S vehicles are better than most of the new ones coming nowadays.' Old is gold'. I didn't mean to insult old vehicles.But with time we move on. iRage, I'm pretty sure you are having a new vehicle also together with your 80's one,aren't you?</p></blockquote>

In SL? Nope. Only the old car. In japan i have a 90s car.in fact looking for another certain 80s car back in SL. I saw an awesome decal on a moris minor sometime back in the uk. It read "you might go past me, but will u outlast

Edited by sathyajithj99
  • Like 1

That is the right question.Even during an accident they don't need airbags or pre crash systems. The intergrity and strenth of the body itself is enough to protect the passengers.

I think the quote actually meant that the new car would whiz pass the old car with hardly any effort but the chances are that they won't last for 5+ decades....As for not needing airbags...and other safety equipment...well that is one area which 80s cars lag in...the fact that the body is so rigid would also imply that the energy from an impact would transfer directly through the passenger cabin and its passengers....

Sorry for taking this thread OT, but several wrong points need to be corrected here.

That is the right question.Even during an accident they don't need airbags or pre crash systems. The intergrity and strenth of the body itself is enough to protect the passengers.
Exactly. Even though the latest vehicles comes with a lot of safetyequipments, only there are 3 main things in a vehicle that prevent severe damage to the driver. Airbag,seatbelt and headrest.

Shows how little you know about modern cars and safety.

First of all, the strength of the body of older cars was actually a problem (sometimes fatal). Since the body was rigid, the car would come to a stop rapidly upon collision, resulting in a massive G-force which maybe fatal to the occupants. Modern cars are designed in such a way that there are crumple zones around the body that would absorb the shock of the rapidly decelerating car without transmitting it to the passengers. Old cars had little or no crumple zones.

So, not only airbags, seatbelts and headrests prevent damage... crumple zones play an important role. Plus, features like ABS, Traction Control and Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) are preventive measures taken to increase safety of vehicles when compared to older ones. There are more and more safety features in newer cars that cannot even be compared to cars of the past.

Edited by Davy
  • Like 5

First read carefully what I've stated. I said the 3 'main things' that prevent severe injury to the driver according to forensic medicine. What youve mentioned are additional features.

Right back at you. Read it... go ahead, here it is:

Exactly. Even though the latest vehicles comes with a lot of safetyequipments, only there are 3 main things in a vehicle that prevent severe damage to the driver. Airbag,seatbelt and headrest.

Tell me you used the word "only" by mistake then? At least have the humility to accept when you're being corrected.

I'd like to stop commenting on this from here and let the others go ahead with the actual discussion.

• Like 1

A car's safety cannot be judged by the thickness of the steel.More than airbags and whatnot it's the crumpling Davy mentioned that makes modern cars safer.Modern cars also dissipate the impact energy around the cabin leaving the occupants unharmed.Believe me old cars may seem they're built like tanks but even a small 10MPH collision is enough to give the driver whiplash and cracked bones if mot worse....and let's not forget the thinner the steel more lighter the car so modern cars don't need big thirsty engines to carry that weight around...So there is a bloody good reason they don't build ém like they used to anymore.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 08/09/2013 at 3:30 PM, k119 said:

I owned 141 for last two years. These are the facts I know by experienced. And you can count on me.

Toyota 141-2008 LX black biege onterior,

Made in Japan

1599CC

Fuelage - city (9 -11), It base on how you drive. The more you use breaking and acceleration means less fuelage (simple logic).

Outstation (11-14) , try to keep rpm under 2000 then you can have 14km/l. My home town is Bandarawela figures are mainly base on that.

For me - looks good, very reliable, perfectly match with my needs.

I haven't done any engine tuneup.

But I came across this. I change my ATF on 2013-April as it not looks good(even by the time I bought its not looks so good, but I have a bill which says it changes ATF change very recently). So I was worried and I called and ask from T.Y.T.A lanka, they confirm its a true bill as they have done the ATF change. Thats the main reason why I wait this much long. But clearly it wasn't change.

And one of my cousin had a similar incident with mazda (familiar) car and ended up in replacing the engine.

Simply this is nothing to do with 141, but just wanna share these type of things happens. Very few people say the truth. For most they have the best car on the market.

As a buyer don;t just listen find more and more details and come to conclusion (google it). But believe me its very hard in Sri Lanka. Don't just fall in to things like, agents maintained , Doctor owned, ...etc

Friend has Vios made in Thailand. He says 11-12 in city and 12-14 in outstation.

One of my very close friend bought axio, He told me this. City its like 10-12, Outstation >12. He sold it back as he bought it for rent. People was saying lot but it didn't deliver what he was expecting. But clearly it does more fuel than 141.

knowledge is like climbing a mountain, the more you climb the more you see :)

Good luck

Can you please let me know that 

Axio or the 141 do more fuel.

5 hours ago, Thehan said:

Can you please let me know that 

Axio or the 141 do more fuel.

Axio :)...3 years later the facts for the exact same cars are still exactly the same....albeit now that they are older and the engines and gearboxes are a bit worn out and the wheels don't run straight....there might be differences from car to car :D 

On 8/8/2013 at 5:44 PM, Thanushka said:

.... he mentioned that he has done the engine tuneup which was scheduled after 40,000 km, and it cost him around 60k. And he said after the service the car works grate on fuel and it does around 10-12 kmpl in Colombo and the guy seems to be very happy about the car.

I guess he means the 40,000km scheduled service ? Which has like a whole host of things to check and replace/flush

• 7 months later...
28 minutes ago, walkernet said:

Hi all, my 141's coolant level has gone to the lowest level within a limited amount of time. Any idea why this kind of thing occurs.

The cooling system is sealed except for the moments when the radiator cap opens up to let excess pressure (and coolant) out and into the expansion tank in a controlled manner. So if you are losing coolant fast, it's quite possible that there is a leak somewhere. 

• Like 1