• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is This Happen Due To Gasket Gone

hatharasinghe

Question

Dear All,

These days I,m in big mess as one of my car has electrical problem ( to replace fuse box and i post it under electrical problems) now today the other car when i stop at home there was a boiling sound and coolent (hot) come out through the reservior tank inlet. N.b I already remove the themostat sometime ago. so is this due to gasket prob. but when im driving nealy 10km nothing happened when i stop the car it happened.

pls help me to sortout this .

thanks.

Check to see if the radiator fan is working. Also check to see if the radiatior cap is working. Sometimes a faulty cap will cause the water to boil away and the engine to overheat.

If both are fine, check if the raidiator is leaking. Gasket and all that can be checked later. First get the basics checked.

What exactly is this obsession with the gasket?

Repalcing the radiator cap will cost less than LKR 800 for many common Jap cars. Checking the fans, for leaks and other stuff will be FOC.

Checking for gasket leaks will cost a bit more... :)

sorry to say but the way you've explained it, it does look like the symptoms of a head gasket failure. Also guys, nomatter what baas tells you, pls don't remove any equipment like thermostats/etc. unless you really know what you're doing and you understand the consequences of it.

Manufacturers test their cars in freezing temps like Alaska and scorching temps like death valley and have come up with a perfect balance of performance and longevity ... somehow, I feel we should trust their product.

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

Daer MeanGreenZ28,

My car is Kia Spectra first i replaced the Radiator Cap but the problem not solved then checked the Thermostat and it also not working properly so replaced it also but the problem is same then Mechanic checked all lines and Radiator for any clogg but nothing so finally he told me its due to GASKET so i asked him to check it today i get the results so far what mechanic did is correct or something missing pls help me .

Thanks,

According to what you described....you said the coolant has come into the reservoir tank..which is perfectly normal and that's what It's suppose to do, A reservoir tank works both ways.. in and out of the radiator. Let's assume it's a head gasket issue.. then their could be few symptoms..like Engine oil in the radiator, and water in engine oil..or air inside the radiator due to compression leaking. if you don't find any oil inside your radiator or water in your engine oil, then just do a simple test to check for compressed air inside the radiator. Drive the car for 20-30mins to get it up to normal running temp (Ideally this is when your temp gauge is at the middle or closer to the middle which is the maximum your car normally would heat up to, but in your case it would be different because you have removed the thermostat but try to get it to the middle as possible), and while the engine s running, take off the rubber hose from the reservoir tank and put it in to a water bottle. Get someone to rev up the engine a bit and check whether you can see any air bubbles coming out of the horse..if your head gasket is leaking you will see a continues flow of air bubbles. If you are just getting coolant in, then there s nothing wrong with your head gasket.

PS: Be carefully when working with the cooling system while it's hot...also the radiator fans could start at anytime so watch out.

Edited by Fixzit

Hi ,thanks in my car hot coolent comeout from reservior tank cap and its almost boiled and its overflow everywhere so its not normal condition and only it happen when the car stop (not switch off) and after engine off nearly 5 min coolents overflows but i couldnt see any oil contaminent or air bubbling but check the raditor and lines and all i above mention so finally mechanic says its due to gasket but still im not sure i just asked some other mechanics no one told the exact answer all told what my mechanic done is correct and last is gasket so im in mess as it will be a big job pls help me.

Hi ,thanks in my car hot coolent comeout from reservior tank cap and its almost boiled and its overflow everywhere so its not normal condition and only it happen when the car stop (not switch off) and after engine off nearly 5 min coolents overflows but i couldnt see any oil contaminent or air bubbling but check the raditor and lines and all i above mention so finally mechanic says its due to gasket but still im not sure i just asked some other mechanics no one told the exact answer all told what my mechanic done is correct and last is gasket so im in mess as it will be a big job pls help me.

Do not fill the overflow tank completely only fill it till the full mark.

Actually, i forgot to mention what Clark'son said. He's right. If you are filling your res.tank above the max level.. That could well be your problem too because that will create extra pressure inside the Res.tank hose and restrict the water flow from radiator to res.tank. Also Radiator caps come in different pressures, 0.9 and 1.1 is the most common. Are you sure you have the right one on your radiator?

yes i have correct radiator cap and level also correct the problem is very hot coolent almost boiled comeout through the res tank inlet and it spill everywhere as it comeout high pressure but no oil contaminant in coolent or cant see air bubbling and normally heat also indicate at middle no high level and the car maintain at regular milages.

Well.. next thing which comes to my mind is the water pump, if the water pump is not circulating the water properly through out the whole cooling system with enough pressure.. that could be your issue.

There is a way you can check whether your water pump is not working at all.. which is to open the radiator cap, top up the radiator if you are less on coolant, and just start the car..rev it.. your water level should go down. But then is method is not so accurate if the problem is partial. Only way that I know to check properly is to take the pump off...

You might wanna check for any blocks, noises, rattles, bearing quality or impeller issues...

Hi all finally GASKET replaced and sametime did some valve and head repairs and fix it now the prob is ok and mechanic told the problem is GASKET .

What was the cost ?

The cost ( Genuine Gasket set it has some more rings and items mechanic told me to keep it for future rep cost 7900 head facing and .. 5500 valves grinding or something 4800 spark plug set 2000 sametime replace engine oil and filter 3500 piston heads cleaning 2000 finally totall cost is 30000 now seems ok but the sound is somewhat different and seems not steady mechanic told me it will ok after doing some milage but feel to do an engine tuneup does it necessary or will it ok pls tell me good place to do an engine tuneup andreasonnable price.

thanks.

The cost ( Genuine Gasket set it has some more rings and items mechanic told me to keep it for future rep cost 7900 head facing and .. 5500 valves grinding or something 4800 spark plug set 2000 sametime replace engine oil and filter 3500 piston heads cleaning 2000 finally totall cost is 30000 now seems ok but the sound is somewhat different and seems not steady mechanic told me it will ok after doing some milage but feel to do an engine tuneup does it necessary or will it ok pls tell me good place to do an engine tuneup andreasonnable price.

thanks.

This could be because the ECU has been reset and still coming to grips with the current state of the engine. I'd say run the car for a little while before you do anything else. The so called tune ups these days is limited to cleaning injectors, throttle body and sensor clean up and spark plug change which you have already done. The most affordable place is your current mechanic as people have just made an industry of these so called tune ups when its actually a diy job :)