• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gps Navigation System ?

akboselk

It works! :sad-smiley-058:

Hey Magnum,

This might be a stupid question but asking just to make sure. Does it say the street names as well?

Asking bcos the videos i posted from youtube does not say the street names. And how was the accuracy of it?

Thanks in advance.

KMeeg.

Anyone still interested on this topic, Google Maps Navigation with voice guidance is now available in Sri Lanka.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Maps-navigation-expands-to-19-new-countries_id60829

Hey Magnum,

This might be a stupid question but asking just to make sure. Does it say the street names as well?

Asking bcos the videos i posted from youtube does not say the street names. And how was the accuracy of it?

Thanks in advance.

KMeeg.

Most major cities and Roads are managed well, as for the complicated ones, they get about as foreign cricket commentators do with our native player names

It works! :sad-smiley-058:

Been using Sala GIS almost a year (thanks to Komi) but Google with voice seems way better if one can integrate it to the existing media system

Hey Magnum,

Thanks in advance.

KMeeg.

Tried it on my way to work today and it worked pretty well. It does say road names and landmark names but most of them wont make any sense cause Sinhalese pronunciation is not the best.

Anyway im pretty happy with it since it auto re-routes if we take a wrong turn, updates remaining distance and ETA in real time which were two of the major features i missed in the non-navi enabled version before.

Thank you Tiv & Ramishkad for the info. Sounds very promising for road trips. Finally can go to Katharagama without asking directions from someone atharamaga.. :sport-smiley-004:

For the Sinhalese pronunciation issues may be we will get a new voice profile in future. I have installed different voice profile in Garmin devices but don't know how to install different voices in phones when using google maps.

Another thing to consider is when using Google maps the phone data is charged right? Only limited area of the map can be used as offline maps right? This is where portable gps devices come in handy right? Since the whole map is pre-loaded in the device no mobile data is needed. Would be great if same quality maps are available for Garmin / Tomtom / Magellan gps devices FOR FREE.. And of cause the map availability for stock car gps units and 3rd party multimedia headunits (Eg- Pioneer / Kenwood / Alpine) would be great right? Also those who have "CarPlay" on their multimedia head units this Google maps is going to be real easy for navigation.

Edited by kmeeg